Login

Help needed! Mastering compressor advice.

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Help needed! Mastering compressor advice.

Postby idrummer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi there.
Hope to get some of your wise advise on this topic.
I'm about to help a friend of mine mastering his new CD. It's a rock band (hard rock). We want that 3D flavor that only Nebula (and real HW) could bring up. So my question is (And I must say I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and got a lot more confused :D )
So, what master compressor would you suggest for this rock project? It doesn't necessarily have to be Nebula libraries, it could be any Acqua plugin or even algo soft.
I was thinking about getting Ultramarine, but then I've read that F**ch**d 670 was used mainly on the master bus for vinil albums, and many sound engineers were saying that 670 is not ok on the master bus... Plus I saw that UM has a big sound issue to be fixed ( Something about the sound moving from left to right randomly... :shock: :shock: )
Please any advice on what to get will be very welcome.
Thanks in advance.
idrummer
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Help needed! Mastering compressor advice.

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey man, I purchased yesterday the Fenix from AlexB, and it is the first time since Pearl that I felt my jaw drop... on the floor. It is just... that. THE sound. What makes it a MASTER. This thing is so good, I can't describe it. Let's just say that it does sound mastered. You know, full, the weight, the polishing step. You take it out, and you hear a shitty mix. I have Ultramarine, Murano, Titanium, but this one would be the desert island one. I never thought ONE plugin could do that. I always had to use 3 of them to try to get there without achieving it.
But as always, download the demos and try them out. The other ones are really good too, and get used all the time. But that wow factor... Wow !!
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:06 am

Avgatzeblouz wrote:Hey man, I purchased yesterday the Fenix from AlexB, and it is the first time since Pearl that I felt my jaw drop... on the floor. It is just... that. THE sound. What makes it a MASTER. This thing is so good, I can't describe it. Let's just say that it does sound mastered. You know, full, the weight, the polishing step. You take it out, and you hear a shitty mix. I have Ultramarine, Murano, Titanium, but this one would be the desert island one. I never thought ONE plugin could do that. I always had to use 3 of them to try to get there without achieving it.
But as always, download the demos and try them out. The other ones are really good too, and get used all the time. But that wow factor... Wow !!

i have pearl too, was really stunned how good it sounded when i bought it especially the high mids and the hi shelf
i still love it and i still think it has one of the greatest hi shelfs of the acquas, just waiting for the core 7 version now :)

but to compare the fenix to the first time you heard pearl is a really big statement because i know exactly how that felt hehe :)

im gonna totally check out the Fenix
i presume its the red you are talking about as that is the one thats meant for master
is it the tone of it that is so great or is the compression really nice ?
or is it both, great tone+great compression ?

Thanks
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:31 am

Yes, I'm talking about the red, I did not try the black yet. The compression, man. It's like... not a specific tone, like the Flecti-Mew or the LCA2B, who add their color. It is super transparent, but everything shines through it, and not in a subtle way ! The term "polished" is the best word I can find to describe it. That's why it reminds me of Pearl, because you put it on, and the world changes. It evens everything. Take it out, and the gorgeous mix you had before sounds like a demo.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby idrummer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:53 am

Hi guys!!
Thank you very much for the heads up on Alexb's Fenix. I'll try it as soon as I get to my studio. Does anybody tried/have murano and/or ultramarine? What do you think about them for mastering?
BTW. I think that AA should release Pearl 2 but this time for all customers. I'm dying to try it as everybody just talks about how amazing it is.
Cheers.
idrummer
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby botus99 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:04 am

idrummer wrote:Hi guys!!
Thank you very much for the heads up on Alexb's Fenix. I'll try it as soon as I get to my studio. Does anybody tried/have murano and/or ultramarine? What do you think about them for mastering?
BTW. I think that AA should release Pearl 2 but this time for all customers. I'm dying to try it as everybody just talks about how amazing it is.
Cheers.

Man, I wish I had pEArl too :cry: I don't have Ultramarine, but I can say that Murano is more colored than Fenix while being at least as versatile as Fenix. One plus for Murano is that it works on more things than I had originally thought. It winds up on my bass tracks quite often, sometimes overheads, sometimes the drum or guitar buss... but dang the Fenix is a killer mastering compressor! Tough choice :lol:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:30 am

I personnaly think of Fenix as the real "mastering" compressor. I own the other 2, and do use them, but with very little compression, just for their tone. The attack on Ultramarine is too fast for mastering. None of them gives me that shiny thing, perfect rounding of all frequencies as Fenix. I use it for its perfect compression and the others for their tone. I'm simply in love.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 am

Avgatzeblouz wrote:Yes, I'm talking about the red, I did not try the black yet. The compression, man. It's like... not a specific tone, like the Flecti-Mew or the LCA2B, who add their color. It is super transparent, but everything shines through it, and not in a subtle way ! The term "polished" is the best word I can find to describe it. That's why it reminds me of Pearl, because you put it on, and the world changes. It evens everything. Take it out, and the gorgeous mix you had before sounds like a demo.

Thanks for youre good explanation, did not see this coming but this one i think i just buy and be done with it, i know many want color on everything but tu much can turn in to a brown soup if its color uon color on color

Im not saying theyre same but thats the reason i love ame comp because its not very colored but man when it grabs youre vocal. At least mine algos really sounds like plastik toys compared.
Its so rare i touch algos these days its scary hehe
My uad cards is just collecting dust
Amethyst comp have so far worked best on track so fenix i think will fit my master very well

I'll trial it a couple minutes, but im pretty shure this one i will buy :)

i will come in here and comment on it if buy it of course, this is a nice comunity so i want to share my experience

Cheers good folks
Last edited by jfjer379@gmail.com on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 am

my 1/2 cent ...

I had the original Fenix release and thought that it held a unique place in the Nebula arsenal. I was not very familiar with the hardware ... but I did like what this library did ... it just seemed to work ... and importantly, without much effort.

Then ... the transformations to the v2 releases. It was a minor upgrade cost to me, but what we got in return is one of the top libraries available.

It should be noted that there was a strong force of opinions requesting 'crushing' compressors. If the unit could NOT crush, it was dismissed. To that point, I think this mis-guided goal distracted.

Fenix is very simple to operate. There are a sensible amount of sonic flavors, AND, the PRESETS are brilliantly assembled by AlexB [He seems to have a knack for that]. Samplerates include 44.1 & 96k, and translate without issue.

Is the Fenix the 'end-all' ... I hope not :shock: I will say that it is difficult to mess up a master using it, although some may try. Beside it tone, which is 'finish master' like, it is able to level in a very transparent way. It can relax the interim dynamics [spaz meters] yet maintain punch and power. The 2-mix just seems to play nicer in a variety of monitor testing. The 'threshold' can be lowered very deep without blowing up. The built-in HPass filter adds excellent control of the spectrum to react with.

I've only used Fenix dealing with mastering, but I can see this easily for mixing duties as well.

Alright ... maybe that was only a 1/4 cent :|
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 am

idrummer wrote:Hi guys!!
Cheers.

i did give the trial on the the Ultramarine a spin
it has a really really nice tone but to me thats it, it cant compress much but on master 2db compression is usually what it takes though,
at least for me,
if you are doing acoustic music or jazz i think it could fit though and many has recommended it for exactly that
but so can the flucti mew IMO

flucti is based on maneley comp so not exactly the same but the M****y HW is an inspiration of the 670 to my knowledge
and 300eur(really great tone though) if you have a huge pile of money maybe get it

, but for me 300eur is just to much, the tone is really good but it wont break my mix for not having it
but i would look into C660 COMPRESSOR from cupwice as well
its 39 dollars and it got recently upgraded could be a great choise over ultramarine`s horrifying price
and many has praised the color of C660 comp even before it got upgraded when it was called the creamy 660 comp

recently upgraded nebula comps have been in short stunning
would be cool if someone who owns Ultramarine could comment on how cupwice C660 sounds compared :)

still right now im pretty sure phoenix would be the right one for me as im in midway production and i think its enough color already, and color on top on that can easily be too much

and i have to deliver the song in 10 days to a client so i really dont have time to mess around to much with more color before the song is delivered

its the first time i have done a project where play every single instrument my self and doing all the vocals writing the song(experienced in song writing though) and lyrics++mixing the darn thing hehe

and i have always struggeled with mixing rock, not anymore it seems, i really studied some of the sounds of my favorite rock bands and that really helped, and it passed the car test yesterday sound vice so im definitely on the right track,
i will make the deadline :)

when we talk about Pearl
Personally i would rather see if something is limited the next time or even with Pearl 2
perhaps a very long limited time where you cant buy would be punishment enough for those who don't buy it in time

i definitely would hate to miss an limited edition and every one raves about it after i didn't get it

but there has been many great new offerings in both nebula and acqua since Pearl though so don't feel its so magic you cant mix without it , seriously dont do that :)

its a while since i have mixed with Pearl actually
but my mixes are not getting worse, they are getting better when they pass the car test on horrible speakers + mono ipad speaker i know its not only the tools, im definitely getting better,
but these powerful acustica tools also gives me more confidence and that is a very important aspect in mixing too
have some confidence and just make decitions and move on

to know you have the power to change the audio to what you want, well almost, you cant change a horrible performance to be a great record hehe

i have to thank MMeQ and ELY X a little for that confidence and Alex b consoles and eq`s+ G comp for glue and punch and of course HO in nebula also and many other 3rd party nebula developers like Tim P, cupwice and i just have to thank Henry olonga again, and of course Acusticas Acuas and for making Nebula

i also have to thank sonarworks, a flat sounding system is what i needed , that is the best tool over any tool you can have if your mixes is gonna sound good, even the best speakers in the world will not do if your room is not treated well

the MMeQ and ELY X really is crazy good and both are incredible for master, could easily be used on buses too
and both those are much more versatile than Pearl
if you miss having acsess to all bands in eq`s in nebula get nyrv agent

but i must admit its gonna be fun using Pearl again in core7 which also is gonna be a improvement from the first version
and even its not as versatile as many other mastering eq`s it absolutely is special

but thats the beauty of Acustica world, no eq sounds the same, have to say the same for comps to :)

i wouldn't mind if all got access to Pearl on version 2 though :)

i think we Pearl owners don't have anything to whine over, we actually got 40% off on the emerald
why i dont know because emerald doesn't remind me of what i think is the Pearl`s biggest strengths

i got the discount because it was advertised as similar to Pearl but i find them very different sounding
Emerald is its own eq with its own mojo but im not to sure i would buy Emerald if ELY X was on the market at the same time
even ELY X is not very colored compared to Emerald,

ELY X has an incredible ability to sound very natural on boosts but at the same time give a nice addictive sheen on the top end, a truly must buy IMO have to say the same about MMeQ, if you have nebula those two you should not miss in your lib collection for master eq`s

ok way to much writing about everything and off topic for the most of the time in this thread sorry, just couldn't shut up :lol:
i woke up too early and have to much time to kill+ too much coffee haha

i hope i didn't bored you almost to death good folks

if you did get bored to death i mean really to the point where you now are actually dead, please don't tell anyone, im very sorry though, hope that help`s a little hehe

ok Cheers
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries