Login

Mix Buss Compressor Help

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Mix Buss Compressor Help

Postby deehope » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:16 am

I think I've narrowed it down to two finalists. The flucti-mew and the fenix. Which one of these comes to mind when I say I'm looking for an open, smooth sound with a finishing sheen on it? Eventually I'll have them both but I can only afford one at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Mix Buss Compressor Help

Postby kindafishy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:43 am

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby deehope » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:50 am

Thanks for the reply. Really? I just demoed that one and loved it but I never thought of it as a mixbuss comp?
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby tiansolo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:21 am

check out doctor mix on youtube, he has a demo of the hardware phoenix processing a soul funk mix which reveals the tonal colour if you're not familiar.

If you're familiar with the tone and it is your taste then I will say that the fenix does everything you're looking for but not sure about 'sheen'. To me that's more of an equalizer task. If you just mean 'final polish to a mix' then yes, while putting your dynamics in place the phoenix can make audio 'sound like a record' for lack of a better phrase.

Alexb's fenix has sampled 2 models with 2 tubes each which offer noticable variation and saturation. If you're limited, this seems like the more practical option over the flucti.
tiansolo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Barendse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Try the Blue MU. Best nebula compressor to my ears. Works great on everything.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby timdestexhe » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Definitely the Flucti Mew for buss comp glue/mastering glue duties.
Nebula, Pearl, Magenta, Honey, Aquamarine, Titanium
timdestexhe
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby botus99 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Really, you can't lose between the Fenix or the Flecti-Mew. The Flecti-Mew is thicker, gooier, and has a really nice compacting effect. The Fenix bundle offers several flavors of what sounds to me like a more transparent compressor. It can really help to add some sheen, or can subdue it based on the tubes or unit (Red or Black) used.

These 2 compressors are my goto choices on the mixbuss these days. Full disclosure here, I usually follow with either Murano or Titanium, but I use them more as mastering compressors than mixbuss compressors... if that makes any sense :lol:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:39 pm

deehope wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Really? I just demoed that one and loved it but I never thought of it as a mixbuss comp?

Of course. Why not? What is special about "targeted" mix bus compressors other than "marketing"? Folks use hardware pairs as a 2-bus comp for both mixing and mastering.

It's all I use on my 2-bus now. YMMV, but this thing sounds amazing to me so I'm not at all concerned about what I "should be using". Been doing this long enough now that "should" never matters to me anymore.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby deehope » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming.
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby botus99 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:12 am

My opinion of the Chandly as a buss compressor is that it should be used if you really want to change the sound, rather than transparently control it. It does a really colorful thickening with it's flavor, depending on the mode selected. Given that it has 6 different knee settings, it is really versatile.

The A5D is also worth a look. It brings things forward and tightens the bass in the usual A*I way. Plus, the ceiling control gives you a different spectrum of harmonic distortion.

Sorry :roll: :lol:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries