Login

Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. II

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. II

Postby ryancost » Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 pm

If I just got one for now, would you recommend Vol 2?
ryancost
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 25, 2016 7:24 pm

Mysterygrimms wrote:Will pick up "Plate of Legends II" soon Tim. Please keep this series going if you can! :D

i would LOVE to be able to do an ongoing series of these. but the sales and interest took a huge drop between parts 1 and 2, with 2 getting about 1/4 the sales. and even part 1 wasn't getting a whole lot of interest for a while. people just don't seem too interested in nebula for reverb duties. i still have a 240 i sampled but held on to because of the recent vnxt release. i'll probably release that eventually, maybe for PoL III, but i don't have anything else already sampled to pair it with. just not sure it's worth the time and money to sample any more. so if i sample another it will almost be more for myself to have rather than expecting to make money. but if i do, i might look for something a bit different, like the eco plates (or, i think there was another one but can't remember the name right now).

RE301 wrote:I second that emotion! ....

and.. if you should ever happen to come across an EMT250 :-0 ...
i don't see myself doing one of these just because i wouldn't be able to sample all of the controls and have them adjustable. i could do something like sample a batch of different 'presets' i came up with, and maybe even have one sampled control for each one, that you could adjust, but that would require me to have the thing in my possession for a while to really play around and find some great settings and i don't see that happening. those things are super expensive and i'd probably make a few hundred dollars on the nebula programs. i'd really be losing hundreds or even thousands, plus my time. would be fun though!

ryancost wrote:If I just got one for now, would you recommend Vol 2?
well, I would, but I'm probably a bit biased!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 pm

ok so i've updated both plates of legend I and II, sent out the update emails so if you owned either (or both) you should've gotten those emails.

the update adds alternate versions of the stereo plate (olympus in PoL I, apollo in PoL II), including a swapped stereo version, a mono version that uses only the sampled left impulses from the original program for both channels, one that does the same but using the right channel impulses, and another mono one that uses a mix of both the left and right channel impulses which gives a bit of a thicker sound.

the 'mono left' one could've been easily obtained from the original program by pressing 'mono l' on the kern page, and that's all i did to make that one, but the others actually required me to make 2 new vectors. unfortunately nebula doesn't have something like a 'swap stereo' button built in so i had to actually do that to the impulses directly. same with the mono mix one. simple channel mixing in your daw wouldn't have accomplished these either. the swap stereo one wouldn't be too hard to do but then you could only use the program as a send because if you passed any dry signal through nebula it'd be swapped too. the mono mix one would be really complicated to do with channel mixing in a daw using the original programs, and would actually require you to run TWO nebulas with the plate. it's NOT the same thing as just mixing down the output out of the stereo program, into mono. the output of this new mono mix program (and all of these mono programs) is actually stereo if your input is stereo. it's just that both channels of your input are being processed (separately) by the same mix of the sampled left and right reverb.

it's always hard for me to try to explain this in words so i hope that made any sense but the main point is that these aren't things you could easily do in a DAW or at least it wouldn't be convenient or practical in most cases. so these offer a quick way to switch between a few new, slightly different sounding versions of the stereo plate included in both parts of PoL. sometimes you might find that one of the mono versions works better than a stereo one. sometimes the stereo swap might be preferable to the regular stereo. so i think when selecting a plate, it's wise to try them out!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby myimo » Thu May 26, 2016 12:49 pm

"ryancost » Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 pm
If I just got one for now, would you recommend Vol 2?"

Yes I would. the qualities like Vol 1 but very different reverbs.
Have to admit I wondered about that, thinking 4 might be over doing it but its not
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RE301 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:46 am

I feel a sense of great personal & 'professional' gratitude for the sonic quality and usefulness of these plates (both volumes) so thank you!!

That's a shame to hear vol II was disappointing sales/interest-wise so as to even possibly slow down development & release of new 'verb libraries when you weigh things up and run a *'SWOT' analysis ..

It does seem there's the most excitement generallly for things like eqs, compressors etc in Nebula, and as of late Aqua is kind of stealing the thunder a bit / maybe people are saving their $ for these ones. It could be too that due to the huge CPU demands of Nebula reverbs, they are off-putting for many users.. In retrospect perhaps it might have been an idea to have bundled both vol 1&2 as one single library .. But who knows!

Anyway, hope the experience with vol 2 doesnt' discourage you too much from further development of new libraries, especially as the research & development is leading to new discoveries and innovation, such as the damping feature!

I hope you will release the 240 library at some stage too. I used to have one in my old studio (rip) and loved the sound on brass & as a general mix 'glue'..

My 'request' for EMT 250 was more wishful
thinking :-) as it's one of the few digital HW reverbs I like, plus related in the family tree to the series you've done, so not too much of a departure :-0.. (98% of the time I'll be reaching for POL though, or other physical reverbs.)

Indeed probably the way to do it (EMT 250)would be as you described: some killer presets, perhaps with damper feature.. But only if one of these units should present itself in a way that fits the budget!

*Swot analysis:
Strengths weaknesses opportunities threats
Project or business venture. Spec objective of venture or project - identify internal and external factors favorable & ubfavorable to objective.
RE301

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:16 am

i was originally going to release PoL I and II together as one, but i was thinking of a $50+ price tag. a lot of time went into the development. as you said these reverbs use a good bit of CPU juice, especially these ones since they have that damper control. having that in there adds to the load a bit. so designing these programs involved a bit of a balancing act, trying to get a reasonable balance. also there was the money i had to put into sampling them. and comparing to other similar plate type plugs out there, that price seemed right to me.

instead of doing that i decided to split it so people could get in on the sound for a lower price. no way of knowing if i would have made more or less doing it as one big release but i knew and expected sales of PoL II to not match those of I, but i think this is OK. I've made my money back and got some profit out of it.

but yeah i think the sales of not just these but also the Bee X-20 definitely do kind of discourage me from wanting to do any more of these types of hi end reverbs where i have to get studio time to do them. because with those 3 releases, those are 3 of the best analog reverbs out there, so if these didn't take off a whole lot, what would? and once someone does have these, anything else will probably seem not as important, so i think any other reverb i do, the sales are going to be downhill from here and probably not recoup my studio fees.

i dont know though, if i find a place that has a lot of cool stuff i could do in one go, there could be more to come but it's not a priority.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:41 pm

I must admit that I have POL I and II, and it is just perfect. But they are plates. So why not try the M7, or 6000 ? I think M7 is undone in Nebula world, and I guess sales would be good.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:I think M7 is undone in Nebula world, and I guess sales would be good.

The topic has been covered already. Casey (Bricasti developer) even offered his support for free in case that someone, Henry at the time, manages to create a convincing M7 library. But one specific characteristic gets in the way: modulation. So it's unlikely that a device with modulated reverb can be nebulized any time soon. Sad but true.
beingmf3

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks, wasn't aware.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mr harrison » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:56 am

isnt the E.A.R. Reverb library based on the tc m6000? think i read that
mr harrison
User Level III