Login

AlexB: Ely X Qualizer (mix mastering eQ)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Ely X Qualizer (mix mastering eQ)

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 pm

How do you find the overall filter quality with the BX_digital v3?

I remember really liking the old version's workflow, especially having the bass and presence shifts and de-esser together with the 5-band EQ set. Looks like they've upgraded those modules now.

I'll definitely audition the new version when I can.

Meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to Neb4 when I can combine all these EQs into a rack and minimize latency. I'm occasionally using Patchwork and trying to avoid investing time into Nyrv Agent.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Brian wrote:How do you find the overall filter quality with the BX_digital v3?

I remember really liking the old version's workflow, especially having the bass and presence shifts and de-esser together with the 5-band EQ set. Looks like they've upgraded those modules now.

I'll definitely audition the new version when I can.

Meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to Neb4 when I can combine all these EQs into a rack and minimize latency. I'm occasionally using Patchwork and trying to avoid investing time into Nyrv Agent.

To me bx_digitalV3 filters are really good, specially the pass filters. I haven't come across a situation when I feel they're doing phase craziness like others. They seem really transparent to me. Having a built-in de-desser also makes it more attractive workflow-wise and the bass-shift and mono maker functionality adds up value in my opinion. It's truly versatile and while I only use it for specific things with very minimal tweaks I think it's a powerful tool to have around. Give it a try, I think you won't be disappointed.

Yesterday I had to help some friends with a quick and dirty mastering job for their album and this Xfilter saved the day beautifully. I managed to get things done real quick and while it wasn't an ideal mastering it turned out much better than I thought. I can't stop loving it.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll do so.

The bass shift in particular was surprisingly useful - I often come across songs with too much energy around 50-75Hz and not enough around 100-150Hz. Being able to redistribute the energy up an octave or so can really quickly help get a better low end.

That reminds me, I should make some FX Chains in Reaper using Nebula EQ programs with inversely linked gain and linked & offset frequencies to approximate this. Ely-X is probably a bit too broad for this to work, but I'll try with a few of Alex's excellent EQs and see what works well.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby ceemusic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

After demoing I'm thinking about getting the Ely X. Reading the manual I'm curious what others place as the last HQ band when using for mix/mastering.

"To emulate the original unit sound you should use both presets HQ and LE by mixing them in this way:
on a single track when a single equalization band only is required you should use the HQ preset, when you need
more than one band of equalization you should use the LE presets and as last band the HQ."

I would probably use a HQ that was used for boosting vs cut.
Any suggestions or preferences?

thanks
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:52 pm

ceemusic wrote:I would probably use a HQ that was used for boosting vs cut.
Any suggestions or preferences?

thanks

I think the difference would be quite small - most important is to just have at least one HQ instance in the chain to get harmonics and get as close as possible to the HW sound.

The logic in putting the HQ program last (whether boosting or cutting) is likely to more faithfully reproduce the behavior of the HW output stage when the whole signal has been shaped (via eq) already before hitting it.

With some types of circuit (active design), you may have interesting behavior from each band and get a good result using HQ programs for more than one band, or all boost bands.

Experiment! In my experience, it's honestly really tough to notice any difference based on which instance is HQ. Often the color is so subtle that I'll use first and last instances as HQ just for a stronger effect.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby ceemusic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks, I thought it'd be subtle but will try different combos when I get it.
I'll probably end up doing my usual LE for cuts, HQ for boosts with one placed last.
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:33 pm

From my experience generally, HQ bands can have significant impact on the overall sound. Each band [Neb instance] seems to be affected uniquely.

It may not be as apparent with ELY, and that may be because it is so musically transparent ... or additional HQ instances just adds to the 'goodness'. :mrgreen:

For 'true' hardware emulation, AlexB suggest the last instance HQ. Some of his libraries included a 'Pre-amp' only. In those cases, I start with all clean bands running into the Pre-amp.
He also states that 'BOOST' bands could be considered better HQ candidates.

This is where time and experience can pay off, and attest to the creative, sonic power of NEBULA. The choice of HQ and 'clean' are a big reason behind my NVC [Nebula Virtual] MIDI controllers. With it, I can easily switch between both states, while maintaining all the EQ setting parameters.

Listening/practice is well worth the effort. The impact of 'harmonic' content excited through an equalizer may seem subtle at first, especially compared to the impact GAIN has, but its impact on 'character' is where the 'magic' exists.

In practice, HQ on a low-freq band can either enhance the bass harmonics that help translate in smaller monitors [Auratones, iPhones], or they can muddy it up. On a mid-range vocal, it can be the difference between a bigger, cutting vocal ... or one to edgy and harsh. Same with the top end ... it is the 'fine' balance.

In 'mastering', there are often times when I put ALL bands in CLEAN mode. Then another time, a majority are all HQ. It all depends on the source ... and the desired destination.

For me, this is the 'hidden' power of NEBULA, and what is missing from the usual 'ALGO' design.

It takes time listening/experimenting with these tools. It confirms why so many mastering engineers use the same base equipment as the foundation of their work.

I've had ELY since its release. It has found its way into many mastering sessions since. I'm still learning it ... but I do like what it brings to the sonic workbench. With its broader curves, and resonant filters, it compliments the more surgical, character EQ's.

Just a slice of my perspective. 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby ceemusic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Great info, thanks.
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Since the passive high-band sounds so good I tend to load all LE instances I need and then put that as last.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ceemusic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 pm

I jst installed & starting working with it on some mixes. Really nice eq, that passive high band is nice. It doesn't work on everything but sounds great when it does.

This will get allot of use.
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries