Login

AlexB: Ely X Qualizer (mix mastering eQ)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Ely X Qualizer (mix mastering eQ)

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:59 am

Must say im looking forward to the comp too :D
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 am

After further testing ...

I've just placed my order for the Ely-X Qualizer.
Look forward to working the complete library.

Thanks AlexB !
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 am

Now armed with the full Ely-X library ... it has now entered the 1st of my multi-test 'mastering' challenge.

1st impression ... what a nice EQ !! :o On many different levels.

It is very responsive. Adding or subtracting 3-4dB on a given band is effortless. Even 1/2dB gain hits the 'just right' sweet spot.

Even though the Q-factor works within a smaller adjustment range [0.5 - 1], I still find that I can easily focus on a specific area to affect.

With this initial test, I'm using all 'Full harmonic' presets [9 in total]. The track stills sounds natural, clear, and punchy. Even with several heavy-handed EQ gain changes, the overall sound does NOT sound EQ'd ... the difference is night and day ... but there is no hint that its' been EQ'd.

Just for fun I threw a FeNix [AlexB] preset at the end of the chain.

In less than 10 minutes, I have this test track playing across 4 different reference monitors without issue. Basically done 8-)

Of special interest was the 'Resonance' filters.
The way you can sweep across a wide range and locate THE spot is excellent. Combining a Shelf and Resonance approach lets you get the bottom end punch without the 'pillow' build-up. Punchy/ Clear. Same for the TOP end.
Yes, there are other EQ's that can do something similar, but none of them are as predictable nor transparent.

The upgrade modifications that AlexB has been known to make, along with the quality of his Version-2 releases, AND the beautiful logic in the way presets are assembled/designed make for an excellent EQ. [I can hear the 'rivals a $5K unit]. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer ... to the Nebula GANG ... I have soo many EQ's ... I really try to fight impulse or blind purchases. I heard something that caught my ear in the DEMO ... I'm really glad I made the decision to purchase. Even at this early stage of testing, I know this EQ will be called to task often.

Thanks AlexB. and please stop making such great tools ... I don't want to buy anything anymore ... I mean it ... really :roll:
:lol:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 am

Really enjoyed reading your post RJ...

would love to hear your master (dry and wet) the 1 with 9 instances running... if you had the time...
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:34 am

Hi sfabs,

Thanks for the kind words ;)

I'd be glad to post an before/after sample from my test tracks. I'm just not sure how this web site handles audio posts. :|

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:46 pm

One word: masterpiece.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 am

This is one of the most impressive EQs I've ever heard. I'll be honest, I was hammered with work and didn't have a chance to beta test this EQ when Alessandro sent it but just today I sat down and decided to give it a spin. Incredible, beautiful, transparent... Geez! This is truly a masterpiece. The passive high-band is unbelievable good for mastering or buses.

I've been a fan of the Elysia Alpha compressor plug-in since day one and I've used it in all my Masters for all these years because it sounds really good to me and it's really versatile. Hopefully Alessandro will also nail it and surpase the plug-in as always happens. Elysia doesn't dissapoint one single bit, that company creates state-of-the-art gear and this Xfilter shows that.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Brian » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:53 am

It is pretty fantastic. Pair it with the MMeQ and A5M and you're really set to handle most any mastering job (I assume you have both too).

Besides these I just use: NovaGE for dynamic taming of mud, mid harshness or tucking in overbearing bass drums, or expansion to restore livliness - Essence for MS deessing if necessary - maybe something else for notches if there are serious problems.

I don't find myself wanting anything else for shaping frequencies at this point... although I'm still considering a Hendy Michelangelo.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby RJHollins » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:13 am

Doing a Re-Mastering for a 80's Rock recording for a client. Originally 2" multi-trk, mixed to 1/4, 15ips [Ampex 440].

The three EQ's called in: MMeQ, Ely-X, A5M. What a powerful collection of tools. All 3 are under my NVC MIDI controllers. A GML was also in-line for some slight surgical work.

Even though this original recording was fully analog, the ability to choose clean/full presets with wonderful shaping eq curves/control is dynamite.

For 'fun' ... I also added the beta-test PINK :o only for the compression. :mrgreen:

Included ... the FeNix Red.

All bookend within the A5 Console.

It's getting FUN Folks 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Brian wrote:It is pretty fantastic. Pair it with the MMeQ and A5M and you're really set to handle most any mastering job (I assume you have both too).

Besides these I just use: NovaGE for dynamic taming of mud, mid harshness or tucking in overbearing bass drums, or expansion to restore livliness - Essence for MS deessing if necessary - maybe something else for notches if there are serious problems.

I don't find myself wanting anything else for shaping frequencies at this point... although I'm still considering a Hendy Michelangelo.

Thanks for the tips, Brian. Yes, I have used the MMeQ for mastering when the song asks for it but most of the time I use the bx_digitalV3 (used to use V2) from Brainworx. The Xfilter really impressed me so I'm pretty sure it will be right there next to bx_digitalV3 in my chain, permanently.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries