Login

AlexB: Black and Red Fenix (new version of older FNX)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Black and Red Fenix (new version of older FNX)

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:19 am

It's interesting to compare the 4 different options for box tone. So far I've been comparing them without any intentional compression, just driving them hard and exaggerating the harmonics with the drive slider up. Doing A/B comparisons this way, it's easier to hear where the differences are.

For the black mixing version, I really like what the AMP tube does for the high mids and openness, but it seems to have more obvious saturation. The SMN tube feels a bit more subtle but makes the lower mids sound bigger.

For the red mastering version, the MLD tube is very nice and slightly mellow. By comparison the TFK seems slightly more present and clear, more up front.

These are my initial impressions auditioning them on 2 songs. I haven't directly compared the red/black yet. I like the black SMN and red MLD a lot so far.

I think it will take me a fair bit of time to get to know how each tube effects dynamics, and how the red/black compare in general when compressing.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby aatigre » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 am

After hearing what v2 compressors like N54 and CLG sound i upgraded to FNX without hesitation or doubts. I played around with it a little today and it sounds amazing!
When i have some free time i would compare it to the hardware version. Its going to be hard to replicate settings to compare because the hardware unit settings are a little diferent.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby tiansolo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:57 pm

For clean dynamic electric guitars, no other compressor can do what this does in a synth heavy mix. The glassy attack of a fender strat remains round and not overly pointy while being able to yank it in the front of the mix and make it sound like it belongs nowhere else.

There were times where I wanted this compression but the tone became too oily. The telefunken tubes have fixed this perfectly. No more having to over eq now, the familiar Fenix tone gets added but instead of grease, it is now whipped butter dried on pancakes. The taste isn't obvious, but without it, boring!

Very grateful for this because for my particular needs, the amp and mullard don't do it for me.
tiansolo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Barendse » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 am

Love the Siemens. Alive & classy.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby botus99 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I put the Fenix through it's paces last night, trying out each model and trying to get a better feel of each program's character. This is an EXCELLENT mixbuss/mastering compressor! Here's my quick impressions of each model...

Black Fenix [Amperex Tubes]
- Vintage high-end softening
- Pillowy punch across the sound spectrum
- Fattest/tubbiest sound of the bunch

Black Fenix [Siemens Tubes]

- Sizzly high end in a very pleasing way
- Very clear sound with a bit of high end excitement
- IMO, the polar opposite of the Amperex version

Red Fenix [Mullard Tubes]
- Very forward sounding. More so than the Black Fenix versions
- Glassy punch, reminiscent of the S*L GComp punch... but glassier
- Very balanced sound, probably the most transparent comp IMO

Red Fenix [Telefunken Tubes]
- My personal favorite
- Even more forward sounding
- Really seems to add some excitement across the spectrum in a magical way. This is one heck of a "Record polisher!"
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:32 pm

I bought it yesterday. Thanks, Alex. Just... thanks.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby keedie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:37 pm

botus99 wrote:I put the Fenix through it's paces last night, trying out each model and trying to get a better feel of each program's character. This is an EXCELLENT mixbuss/mastering compressor! Here's my quick impressions of each model...

Black Fenix [Amperex Tubes]
- Vintage high-end softening
- Pillowy punch across the sound spectrum
- Fattest/tubbiest sound of the bunch

Black Fenix [Siemens Tubes]

- Sizzly high end in a very pleasing way
- Very clear sound with a bit of high end excitement
- IMO, the polar opposite of the Amperex version

Red Fenix [Mullard Tubes]
- Very forward sounding. More so than the Black Fenix versions
- Glassy punch, reminiscent of the S*L GComp punch... but glassier
- Very balanced sound, probably the most transparent comp IMO

Red Fenix [Telefunken Tubes]
- My personal favorite
- Even more forward sounding
- Really seems to add some excitement across the spectrum in a magical way. This is one heck of a "Record polisher!"

I concur, the Fenix Red with Mullard tubes is a brilliant piece of kit. I replaced Flucti-Mew on some acoustic material I just tracked,mixed and quick mastered a few days ago and it was absolutely gorgeous.
keedie
User Level I
User Level I

Postby ceemusic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm interested in the Red for mastering but never used the h/w.
I'm curious if anyone here ( or Alex if you're reading) has any favorite settings or suggestions regarding the 11 position attack/ 5 position release settings that would mimic the actual unit.

Also does using Nebula's drive or increasing input mimic driving the input tube in any way?
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I generally use it with a mid or slow attack (would be 6~11 on HW) and a quick release (1 to 3 on HW ).

For smoother leveling trying the mid to slowest release (around 1 ~ 2s) and a medium to quick attack time is a good starting point.

Input gain should drive the program to a point, and drive just raises the level of sampled harmonics (exaggerates the saturation but doesn't represent the HW behavior at that level)
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby ceemusic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for the info Brian. I'll check out those settings
when I install it.
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries