Login

A request: Drum Mics

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: A request: Drum Mics

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:45 am

I'll check!

But N e u m a n n for example have been using an electric spark generator to test transient response (the spark would be the sort of "pure" impulse response that can be repeated n number of times).

As to calibration, I have heard of a way that involves the use of more than one mic of the same model. Those are then are sealed capsule to capsule with a special adaptor and one is used as an emitting transducer (speaker), the other as receiving (mic). Than you reverse the process and I believe it is done with 3 mics in total (or maybe 2, can't recall exactly). This is all done in rooms with very good sound insulation and on lab tables that have spring fitted legs (to reduce infrasonic vibrations from the outside world). But I am no expert in the field.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:32 pm

It's been way to long for me to remember all the details :roll: but we did have access to, what is called, a 'Plane Wave Tube'. With it we could chart/printout a response curve. This was all part of a 'microphone & maintenance' class.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm

kindafishy wrote:
RJHollins wrote:U-47 are spectacular mics ... even for kicks. The issue there, was, subjecting it to potential damage. [they weren't cheap even 35 years ago]. Still, one of my all-time favorites for Hammond B-3's to Guitar rigs ... and obvious top 5 for vocals.
Indeed. Henry's presets don't seem to be harmed no matter how much SPL I subject them to though.

:mrgreen:

luckily HO is freeware now so if you do blow up your mic presets you can always download them again :mrgreen:
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:
kindafishy wrote:
RJHollins wrote:U-47 are spectacular mics ... even for kicks. The issue there, was, subjecting it to potential damage. [they weren't cheap even 35 years ago]. Still, one of my all-time favorites for Hammond B-3's to Guitar rigs ... and obvious top 5 for vocals.
Indeed. Henry's presets don't seem to be harmed no matter how much SPL I subject them to though.

:mrgreen:

luckily HO is freeware now so if you do blow up your mic presets you can always download them again :mrgreen:

:lol:
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries