Login

A request: Drum Mics

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

A request: Drum Mics

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:10 pm

Mods please move this to the request folder it need be, I can't access certain forums from my phone because of a filter on it.

Can someone sample some of the industry standard drum mics:A*G D12, beta 52A, sm57...etc.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Re: A request: Drum Mics

Postby botus99 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Henry Olonga released a bunch of mics. I know the 57 and 421 are in there, however I don't remember seeing/using any bass drum mics.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:32 am

What is the name of the sm 57 in that library?

I've been actually using the u87 from this lbrary live to replace the at2020 tone for vocals and am in love with the sound! Call it the at2087 lol
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 pm

i used the HO U47 on a vocal recorded with a sm57, it actually worked out great, i really didn`t think it was gonna be good as i was only experimenting
experimenting and being curious in nebula is definitely a good thing hehe :)

it would be nice to have more mics that are meant for drums though like special sub kick drums mics, akg d12, beta 52 and all the usual suspects

well luckily we have a 57 and 421 at least

many of the mics in the HO mic park can work great on overheads

i think its only kick drum mics i miss a little, but i`ll live :D
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:20 am

U47 is not terribly uncommon to use on a kick.

AC/DC Back in Black (which I was just reading about the other day) for one pretty famous and easy to hear instance.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:15 am

A favorite Kick mic ? [among other sources]

ElectroVoice - RE-20

Beside its durability with high SPL, it could handle crazy amounts of EQ for shaping.

The Variable-D™ for minimal proximity effect allowed placement flexibility.

True cardioid with no off-axis coloration.

Humbucking coil

I was never much into the D-112 kick mic [maybe useful on Floor Tom]. It seemed more useful in a live situation for a fast setup. But in the studio, I wanted the ability to craft/taylor my kicks.

U-47 are spectacular mics ... even for kicks. The issue there, was, subjecting it to potential damage. [they weren't cheap even 35 years ago]. Still, one of my all-time favorites for Hammond B-3's to Guitar rigs ... and obvious top 5 for vocals.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:08 am

RJHollins wrote:U-47 are spectacular mics ... even for kicks. The issue there, was, subjecting it to potential damage. [they weren't cheap even 35 years ago]. Still, one of my all-time favorites for Hammond B-3's to Guitar rigs ... and obvious top 5 for vocals.
Indeed. Henry's presets don't seem to be harmed no matter how much SPL I subject them to though.

:mrgreen:
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:21 am

funny :lol:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:45 pm

OK, first, please ignore the fact that under my name it says "Internal developer", as I am not talking as such here. I also don't want this to appear as if I'm lambasting such libraries if these already exist (I remember seeing such somewhere, can't recall) or their usefulness (yes, I can imagine that they could still be an interesting creative tool). But...

This is a project I've been interested in doing for a while. And not just these mics. The problem is that it is VERY difficult to get it right and VERY expensive.

Any normal loudspeaker will introduce tons of colour (port and other resonances, phase distortion from x-over and what not, frequency colouration, harmonic distortion, non-harmonic distortions, etc.). As many problems will come from the room in which you sample the mics too.

So to do this right you need an anechoic chamber that can give you freefield conditions at least down to 60Hz (no room modes). Because it is very difficult to build such these are very expensive to hire. I've looked into one that has 20 meters of absorption on each wall!

In additional you will need a speaker to play the test tones that is invisible (that is probably even more difficult than the room part).

To avoid such issues a lot of mic measurements are actually done with special techniques that do not involve speakers, but these aren't really going to work when sampling with NAT...

From what I have researched, the answer is simple - if there is a good interest in this kind of samples, it can be done at high standard, but it will not be a cheap project. Hence the price will not be as low as for an EQ, a plate or similar devices.

Cheaper ways are an option too, but they will never give you the sound of the mics only... it will always be the sound of space + the speaker + the mic. Hence, too much unwanted colouration.

Just my opinion! :)
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 pm

excellent issues raised.

I've wondered what equipment is used when we send microphones out to be calibrated. [particularly those used to shoot rooms out].

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries