Login

Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. I

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. I

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:25 pm

id say trying a higher buffer setting. the extra ability to actually adjust the reverbs, which is totally missing from other nebula reverbs, comes at a cost of a bit more cpu usage. not only that but these reverbs go up to 10 seconds long and that's probably where most of the cpu crunch really comes from (you can see this for yourself by going into the kern page and lowering the length of kern1 and seeing how your cpu use gets reduced). it's no surprise that they'd use more cpu than programs without either of those two things. the lite versions should use around half the cpu so consider using those until you're ready to render.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Could adjusting the kernel length in this way (lowering length of kern1) be a way to reduce 'CPU slam' while using shorter reverb times (with the damper) - or would such a move deliver unwanted consequences?
RE301

Postby Cupwise » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:36 pm

yeah you could do that. it'd be cool if there was a way where i could have it do that automatically as you adjusted damp but it's not possible.

you'd just want to make sure to listen that you aren't gating the reverb tail, unless you wanted that. you'd want to make sure you have a little bit of fade time set just in case there is some gating going on so you get a smooth fade instead of, not having any fade could possibly lead to some artifact. but the artifact would be so quiet you'd probably never hear it anyway.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:31 pm

RE301 wrote:Could adjusting the kernel length in this way (lowering length of kern1) be a way to reduce 'CPU slam' while using shorter reverb times (with the damper) - or would such a move deliver unwanted consequences?

as tim said, you can listen if the tail gets truncated and find the right kernellength this way. it reduces cpu load greatly when the kernellength is shortened. if distortionkernels are present, one can reduce the calculation to 1 kernel, which also saves cpu-cycles.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kindafishy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:14 pm

When are you planning to release Vol. II? Will there be an initial sale price or bundle deal for both volumes?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby timdestexhe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Problem: As soon as I edit the LTIME and FREQD as stated in the manual I can't use the plugins anymore, my CPU gets in overload instantly in Logic.

EDIT: It's fixed! I got great & quickly help by Tim Cupwise via his contact form.
Nebula, Pearl, Magenta, Honey, Aquamarine, Titanium
timdestexhe
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby RE301 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for the tip / feedback about adjusting 'kern' guys.. that's been handy to reduce CPU crunch while setting up mixes...

For final mixdown been bringing up an instance of the high resolution / full version & bouncing the mix... works great! Sounds that extra bit better too .. I just write down the settings on a piece of paper (eg damper setting etc) and add that to the new instance...

Fantastic plate sound - THANK YOU!!
RE301

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm

ok so i've updated both plates of legend I and II, sent out the update emails so if you owned either (or both) you should've gotten those emails.

the update adds alternate versions of the stereo plate (olympus in PoL I, apollo in PoL II), including a swapped stereo version, a mono version that uses only the sampled left impulses from the original program for both channels, one that does the same but using the right channel impulses, and another mono one that uses a mix of both the left and right channel impulses which gives a bit of a thicker sound.

the 'mono left' one could've been easily obtained from the original program by pressing 'mono l' on the kern page, and that's all i did to make that one, but the others actually required me to make 2 new vectors. unfortunately nebula doesn't have something like a 'swap stereo' button built in so i had to actually do that to the impulses directly. same with the mono mix one. simple channel mixing in your daw wouldn't have accomplished these either. the swap stereo one wouldn't be too hard to do but then you could only use the program as a send because if you passed any dry signal through nebula it'd be swapped too. the mono mix one would be really complicated to do with channel mixing in a daw using the original programs, and would actually require you to run TWO nebulas with the plate. it's NOT the same thing as just mixing down the output out of the stereo program, into mono. the output of this new mono mix program (and all of these mono programs) is actually stereo if your input is stereo. it's just that both channels of your input are being processed (separately) by the same mix of the sampled left and right reverb.

it's always hard for me to try to explain this in words so i hope that made any sense but the main point is that these aren't things you could easily do in a DAW or at least it wouldn't be convenient or practical in most cases. so these offer a quick way to switch between a few new, slightly different sounding versions of the stereo plate included in both parts of PoL. sometimes you might find that one of the mono versions works better than a stereo one. sometimes the stereo swap might be preferable to the regular stereo. so i think when selecting a plate, it's wise to try them out!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries