Login

Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. I

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Plates of Legend Vol. I

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:55 pm

it will probably be a while but at some point i think i'm going to add mono versions of the stereo plate (#1 Olympus), as i've done with my recent stereo reverb releases (recently Bee X-20). that includes a mono version using the left channel in the convolution samples for both channels, which is easy to set up (just go to kern page and click mono), but also one that requires a new vector which is a mono mix of both channels in the samples. i'm also thinking i might, for the first time with this release, make yet another vector with the channels reversed, which would allow a mono program using the standard program's right channel for both channels, and also an inverse stereo program. unfortunate that i have to make a whole new vector for that one but Nebula doesn't have a way of swapping channels built in.

that stuff might sound superfluous but i think it's probably worth it. i'll probably go back and do the swapped channel + right mono thing for Bee X-20 also. but again it will be a while, maybe a few weeks. just putting this here in case anyone wants to comment. i haven't ever got any feedback about these extra options (that i remember).
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ericzang » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Would these new options provide something different than a simple channel routing (independent mute and pan for L and R, etc) plugin after the reverb?
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm

you can't get the same results with any kind of routing after the plugin.

for the mono left programs, which again you can set them to work this way yourself very easily by going to kern, then clicking mono, but with that setting nebula then ONLY uses the left channel of the samples contained in the vector (it discards the right channel of the impulses), to process both channels separately. so to get the same result with just routing you'd need two instances of the reverb running at the same time (in parallel), and then to route the audio you want to process, just the left channel to the left input on one of the nebulas, then the right channel of the audio into the left channel of the other nebula. then youd take the outputs of both nebulas (which would only have anything coming out on the left channels), send the first to the left channel of a new track and the 2nd to the right channel of that new track.

for the mono mix (which as i said requires a new vector), i would mix the left and right channels of all the samples in the vector, to create a mono 50/50 mix. so both channels would then have the same thing, a 50/50 mix of left and right. then when you run something through the resulting nebula program, both channels of your input is processed by that mono 50/50 mix (separately! this is kind of the key here). if you think of the stereo plate as being two reverbs in one (one on the left and the other on the right channel), this would be like mixing those two reverbs together, which results in a more dense, new effect.

you can't get that result by mixing the output of the standard reverb programs together. if you did that, you'd have a mono result. these mono programs don't give you a mono result. your left and right inputs going in are still kept separate. it's just a question of what they are being processed with. so to get the same result as the mono mix program, by routing in your DAW, you'd again need two instances (again, in parallel), and you'd send your stereo input into both, but youd swap/invert the stereo channels before going into the 2nd instance. then you'd swap them again after they came out of the 2nd instance. then you'd mix both stereo outputs from both nebulas together into one new track.

the inverted stereo version i mentioned wanting to make would be easiest to do in a DAW with the current program. you'd just swap the channels going in, and swap them back after they came out. BUT, the mono version i could make from that, which would use what is the right channel in the current standard stereo version, for both channels, again would not be easy to do. you'd do it the same way as the mono left one i described above, but using the right channel instead of left.

as you can see its a bit difficult to describe routing stuff like this, it makes it sound more complex than it really is, but the short answer is no these are not something you can get with quick and simple routing and in all cases but the inverted stereo one, you'd need two instances of the reverb running.

how different these alternate reverbs are depends on how different the sound is between the reverb on the left vs the right channel. in my bee x-20 high end spring release, the difference is pretty big, so there it's a lot like having another totally different reverb available. the difference isn't as great here but i think it's still worth doing.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:16 pm

I definitely appreciate the possibility of a mono option!
RE301

Postby bryan7nebula » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:29 pm

The demos sound fantastic.

What is the CPU hit? This is important to know.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:00 pm

i have a 3820 i7 that's overclocked a good bit (thing overclocks like a beast), and i remember getting somewhere around 12% usage with the full versions. they use a fair amount of power, but this is why i made the lite versions, which you can use up until you're ready to render. those were giving me somewhere around 6-7%. it also depends a little bit on the plate.

random side note- i just got informed that i accidentally included the program for the other plates. the vectors arent there so they obviously won't work. this was a mistake :oops:
i'd recommend anyone who bought to just go ahead and delete those. it's the files labeled 'B' and 'D'.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby prosodio » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Cupwise, I´ve bought it and I´m very pleased, I have an i7 920 five years old and in 44 khz with full I don´t a CPU values so high.... with samplitude 11 (32bit)..... maybe 2%....
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 pm

ah right yes i forgot to mention that i was talking about the 96khz versions. my test wasn't exact either, so it might not have really been using that much. something else that was running may have also contributed a bit. i'll have to give it a closer look.

anyway thanks for your report prosodio!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ericzang » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 am

thanks for the thorough explanation Tim, sounds interesting!
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RE301 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Really appreciating this one to the max (!)..

The damper control feature is really great - it seems you've perfected the idea on this one.. the way it can be used to quickly adjust the decay (and lead to superb sounding shorter times), is so conducive to a fast, intuitive way of working..

Overall - the simplicity (eg: only a hi/low res program for each plate - low 'cognitive load' for the user), combined with a quick & intuitive way to adjust for a wide variety of decay times, and the GREAT sound makes this one a topper!!
Last edited by RE301 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RE301

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries