Login

Compressor library for individual channels?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Compressor library for individual channels?

Postby manuel.soruco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm

So it seems there is lately a fever of mastering/bus compressors. Not only in the Nebula world, but also in the Plugin world (MJUC, VBC, FG-X...etc).

There are probably over 20 different emulations of the Vari-Mu but only 1 distressor...

So, my question is... in this sea of bus compressors, what are you using for compressing individual tracks? Either nebula or native plugin.
manuel.soruco
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Compressor library for individual channels?

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Kush UBK-1, TimP U76, Opto-3A, McDSP Ultimate Compressors with HO Mojo (especially LA-2A), Prime Comp, Waves Kramer Pie (god I wish this was in Nebula !!), and on some occasions Ultramarine and Murano. I've been adding Cupwise Vari-Mu in my last mix, and it will come back for sure in the next ones... "Black" will be more than welcome, and I still crave for an LA-2A totally nebulized !
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Ah yes, and Softube CL-1B with HO Mojo. Sick.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dagovitsj » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:Ah yes, and Softube CL-1B with HO Mojo. Sick.

@ manuel.soruco: Please check out AlexB's take on the T**e-T**h compressors CL1B and CL2A - these are VERY good.
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/alexb/vtd_valvetech_dynamics.htm

Just a tip: Download the demo of CL1B - it is very useful on it's own and totally convinced me after testing it on a quite dynamic female vocal :D

And of course: TimP's TLA-100a - it's really good too!
http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/sum-100a-leveler/
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby manuel.soruco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Awesome! Great suggestions! Keep them coming! :D

I´m having some doubts... I use just one version (Nebula Reverb.dll) for all my emulations (tape, console and mojo). Would I have to start tweaking much with the advanced settings of Nebula for use with compressors? Or create different configurations of the ddl/xml? Would I need Nebula Setups to make the best of it?

For what I have read, TimP is TEH rockstar of Nebula Compressors in sound quality, and they seem to have gorgeous skinks as well, which would be a shame not to use.
manuel.soruco
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mtalavera » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:14 am

I am hooked on the AlexB Chandly Comp in particular and use that as a track compressor all over the music I work on:

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... manium.htm
mtalavera

Postby manuel.soruco » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:18 am

Arghhh! So many great options! And I just bought Acqua and Disto and I have nothing left but moths on my pockets!

I think I´m going to get one of Tim´s compressors as soon as I can though.
I have a lot of native compressors, but I would like ONE great all round nebula compressor. I don´t care about mastering since I just reached an agreement with another studio so they will master my projects, so I´ll be using it only on individual tracks (I process my groups with LiquidMix).

What would you recommend? I´m leaning towards the U76 but the Opto 3a seems like a great option too.
manuel.soruco
User Level II
User Level II

Postby kindafishy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:28 am

manuel.soruco wrote:Arghhh! So many great options! And I just bought Acqua and Disto and I have nothing left but moths on my pockets!

I think I´m going to get one of Tim´s compressors as soon as I can though.
I have a lot of native compressors, but I would like ONE great all round compressor. I don´t care about mastering since I just reached an agreement with another studio so they will master my projects, so I´ll be using it only on individual tracks (I process my groups with LiquidMix).

What would you recommend? I´m leaning towards the U76 but the Opto 3a seems like a great option too.
Both of those compressors are stellar. I find the Opto 3a more flexible as it likes guitars, vocals, drums and bass. It's an every-bus compressor. The 1176 is incredible too. I think you need both.

However, my favourite compressor of all is new and non-Neb. It is the Manic Compressor from Boz Digital. It is my number one. Great as a track compressor, great as a bus compressor and second to none for parallel duties.

I'd like to keep it as my secret weapon, but Boz deserves all the praise and sales he gets, so there ya go.

I've been through more compressors and spent more money than I care to weep over. Manic compressor is my number 1, period.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:30 am

Opto 3A will be better for an all-around. But again, I know it is alogo, but McDSP Ultimate compressor gets you 9 or 10 great emulations (1176, La-2A, 33609, Phoenix, etc...) Not the tone of Opto-3A, but more versatile.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:31 am

Oh, and Presswerk. Maybe the best all-around algo.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries