Login

Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby seabstudio » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:45 pm

I m very surprise that no one sample a tape with different bias & curve eq setting , because is was a secret weapon in the past .
In a conventional way , you calibrate your tape with a special tools , special tape etc ... but at end of process all channel sound same ! even you play a bass or a flute ;) this is not music !

In the past a lot of engineer bias the machine according to the sound come tru ...if it an hihat they bias different...for reggae bass purist , overbias to the max and change the eq curve on tape , sound really organic & fat (and kill totally the hiss ! ), do the opposite for the hihat ( it saturate & tranform tthhh in ssshhhh ;)

A reggae engineer tell me that in the past in Channel One studio , they never calibrate the 2" Ampex machine , because it all ready calibrate for instrument come tru, the patch was often always the same ...interesting no ?
It can reduce the total hiss in mixdown ( because you kill it when process bass instrument ) and create a great shape to the sound .
I already test this in my tape machine ( PR99Mk3 Revox ) with extra good success :lol: :lol:

what do you think? maybe a futur idea ...i hope it's possible to sample & add this approach ...

I want to sample my revox , but how to do with NAT , where i find a good template ( fot test ? )
Thanks
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

This is the reason i want an aqua tape mashine, they could totally do it :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
User avatar
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby seabstudio » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 pm

1 reply ;( snif
I who thought he had a good idea :o :o :o
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby dpclarkson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.
dpclarkson
Member
Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby kylen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 pm

dpclarkson wrote:Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.

Yes pushing harder or lighter into these is what I'm currently playing with (the popular -18db gain staging is not necessary) also pushing a freq range (pre-emph/post-emph) works nicely. I'm in Reaper so it's pretty easy to build a G-Drive on steriods (frequency sensitive) using FF Pro-Q2 (saw a post on gearslutz recently reviving this old technique - more Dan Worrell magic). The CDSM R2R Studer has CCIR and NAB EQ, not quite bias control as you said but interesting also. CDSM also has an EL8 (dist) which is fun to push into also...good times with CDSM :)
http://cdsoundmaster.com/r2rmanual.pdf
kylen
Member
Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:31 pm

My t-tape sat preset changes frequency as it goes into compress or distort. This works at 41ms program rate so super fast! You won't hear at as a tonal change but more of a softening because of the speed. I know this isn't necessarily what the original question was... Anyhow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZl4ew2HcI

I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.
User avatar
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Bath , Uk

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby Mysterygrimms » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:
I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.


Can't wait to buy it. Once you put it up, instant purchase. Need a little Abbey Road in my life right now lol.. 8-)
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:20 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby seabstudio » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:42 am

Tim Petherick wrote:My t-tape sat preset changes frequency as it goes into compress or distort. This works at 41ms program rate so super fast! You won't hear at as a tonal change but more of a softening because of the speed. I know this isn't necessarily what the original question was... Anyhow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZl4ew2HcI

I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.


Big thanks for the reply !

J37 ? Very good news ;)
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby seabstudio » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 am

kylen wrote:
dpclarkson wrote:Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.

Yes pushing harder or lighter into these is what I'm currently playing with (the popular -18db gain staging is not necessary) also pushing a freq range (pre-emph/post-emph) works nicely. I'm in Reaper so it's pretty easy to build a G-Drive on steriods (frequency sensitive) using FF Pro-Q2 (saw a post on gearslutz recently reviving this old technique - more Dan Worrell magic). The CDSM R2R Studer has CCIR and NAB EQ, not quite bias control as you said but interesting also. CDSM also has an EL8 (dist) which is fun to push into also...good times with CDSM :)
http://cdsoundmaster.com/r2rmanual.pdf


Very interesting , i want try this technique soon ! thanks for tips
I'm on reaper too , this daw is really incredible
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Postby kylen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 am

seabstudio wrote:Very interesting , i want try this technique soon ! thanks for tips I'm on reaper too , this daw is really incredible

Here's the excellent Dan Worrall video I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Gs-o39C5o
:)
kylen
Member
Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 am

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests