Login

Cal DL1656 Limiter v2 33% off

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cal DL1656 Limiter v2 and Black Friday 20% off

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:44 pm

The only tip I would give is to experiment. This is a limiter so I guess go easy on it. When It comes to limiting control release is very important. Your likely to get pumping on a limiter over a low ratio compressor, basically I looked at the area where pumping can occur and did my best to reduce it. No rules of course, you could use it to smash, although TNT, will be a better limiter for this (hard knee) which will be upgraded soon to v2.

A tip for the harmonics preset-I guess you could experiment with attenuating odd and boosting even, this will sound smoother over vice versa. If you want a bit more aggression you could boost odd.

One thing I in particular this is great for bass drum. Its very punchy but it's stable enough for 2 bus
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:26 am

Tim Petherick wrote:One thing I in particular this is great for bass drum. Its very punchy but it's stable enough for 2 bus

Yes! This limiter is incredible on drums. It sounds tight and robust, transients aren't all spikey like we have in most software (and some hardware) compressors. In fact, it can have that S*L punch and firmness which is something interesting for a piece of hardware that has nothing to do with that circuit (well, as far as I can tell).

I had my doubts when I saw the tag "Limiter" but after trying it on different material with just 1dB or 2dBs of GR it's really nice what you can do with it. On drum busses it must be a gem... off to try that!
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby himhui » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:47 am

The link of "Cal_Dl1656_96khz.zip" is corrupted
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:25 pm

himhui wrote:The link of "Cal_Dl1656_96khz.zip" is corrupted

Hi,
If your seeing 96 that's v1, you need to contact me to get v2, i have to manually adjust some purchases because they are from the old webpage design

"Old v1 customers get the v2 update for free!!!!(look at your original purchase in your accounts, any problems Email me)"

Thanks
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:
himhui wrote:The link of "Cal_Dl1656_96khz.zip" is corrupted

Hi,
If your seeing 96 that's v1, you need to contact me to get v2, i have to manually adjust some purchases because they are from the old webpage design

"Old v1 customers get the v2 update for free!!!!(look at your original purchase in your accounts, any problems Email me)"

Thanks

Ok, I'll send u an email soon!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby Synonym Music » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Surprisingly good as a vocal limiter with 1-2 dB GR.
Synonym Music
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby drezz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Agreed............It's really nice on drum bus, and yes, really robust is the right word, on mix bus. Very interesting possibilities messing with the pre amp after the limiter, getting some very good tones with this. I also was a bit cautious of it being a limiter, but it's surprisingly refined and yet is capable of heftier actions to a certain limit (forgive the unintentional pun). For me though, so far I'm really impressed with it doing a subtle couple of db off of the master bus with some tweaking on the pre amp and varying the odd/even to taste creates some very texturally interesting tones on the entire mix, also great as previously stated on drums, which i'm just starting to get into now. Haven't tried extreme settings yet, will give it a go at some drums and try to intensify the treatment...........but, so far it's really nice.....I thought it would be more of a one trick pony, but it's turning out more varied and versatile than i first thought. Great release once again Tim..........Bravo.
drezz

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:29 am

Great sum100a v2 is now being made!!!
8-)

This is my favorite, very soft knee! no pumping up to -20, over 60db window

Back to this limiter
Here is a public beta of a mod I made to the meters (n2p's), You guys decide if you like it. Basically the meter follows the release time. On the original release it was more of a estimate of release value. If you don't like it you can simply revert back to your original download.

Edit now in main download....
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby waffleneck » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:57 am

This is funny, I just asked about this like 3 days ago and it came out almost the next day or something. Ha!
Amber, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue, D361, Emerald, EQP1, Green, Honey, Ivory, Magenta, Navy, Nebula, Ochre, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Bundle, Purple Bundle, Red, Scarlet, Silk, Tan, Titanium, Trinity, Ultramarine, White
waffleneck
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Another update... It will be named with today's date (30_11_15) in your downloads. I've left the original for download if you end up wanting to go back. So here are the improvements and extras-

1. Ultra fast attack preset

Using this is great but you may need to slow down the release on some bass sources as you'll get tracking distortion from the Evf.

I made this to show nebula can go very fast but it needs to be used with caution, I.e possibly need to slow release down. In use with ahead you'll get some very fast limiting.

If I were to change the Knee character and change the amount of feedback we could go quicker and have a cleaner precise sound but It would change the character of the original emulation too much.

2. Extended compression headroom

This is good to stop any slip through attack, this is a common problem with some presets

3. improved knee

It's more accurate, This is probably the biggest difference, It now goes into limiting more easy.

4. Meters follow release

more accuracy here

Don't forget! set your ahead to at least 1.5ms in the master page and save then reload nebula
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries