Login

ASIO Block Size_Default?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

ASIO Block Size_Default?

Postby KrazyKat46 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Is there a 'safe' default Block Size for most 3rd Party Emulations as a starting point?
Specific case is F*******e Saffire Pro14 Audio I/F and want to avoid crackling issues from 8" powered monitors. This occurs from time to time and have set to 512 as default. Is this likely to impact performance of most 'mainstream' 3rd Party Emulations.

BTW _ when crackling has occurred, changing from 256 to 1024 has not resolved this. Saffire Pro14 has some suggested Win 10 Sound/Audio settings and those have been used.
KrazyKat46
User Level II
User Level II

Re: ASIO Block Size_Default?

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi!
I don't know how much you know about Nebula, but one very important tweak is to set RATE CNV to 9000.00 ms inside Nebula (Go into GURU-mode and do the tweak).

Most 3rd party emulations will work OK with the default settings when you install Nebula, but for one very strange reason you have to change the RATE CNV to 9000.00 ms to get the reverb programs like VNXT EMT-140 emulation to work without crackles etc.

Don't know which programs you use when you experience crackles, but increasing the ASIO to 1024 or 2048 will solve most problems in my experience. But you also have to tweak DSPBUFFER Size as far as I remember, long time since I did those basic tweaks.

Finally: Support are very helpful, so if you write a request, you can probably send in your xml-file and ask them to tweak it so it will work with your libraries (emulation), I reckon.

Good luck!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:27 pm

To help clarify ...

RATE CNV is a setting that deals with conversion of the library SampleRate to the 'project' sample rate you are working in.

i.e.: A Nebula library is 96k and your project is 44.1k.

You will see this info on the main GUI screen of Nebula showing the 2 rates.

Should you see a flashing '!' [exclamation mark], you will know that RATE CNV is set to low.

Typically, we've been told to set RATE CNV to the max value of 9000.

In the main XML text file it is this setting.
<RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>

This shows my current setting. To get max value, change to 9000000

DSPBuffer is another critical setting.

It represents the size of the audio block.

In my current XML, it looks like this:
<DSPBUFFER> 512 </DSPBUFFER>

Now ... I'm running a brand new i7-5820K based computer.

Based on the power of your computer, this setting can have a dramatic effect on the number of 'instances' that can be used at a time.

To the goal of having as many Nebulas running in real time ... some use a lower buffer size. Point being, the computer [AND the software] need to be able handle this]. It can be a balancing act. We have read from others that, often times, these settings are quite system dependent.

To the future. We are all reading that the Neb/Acqua technology is working toward refinement and optimization. There has been some amazing improvements already.

We still should be mindful that this technology cannot be directly compared to pure algo designs. Maybe the comparison would be truer to VSTi instrument plugins, using/manipulating massive library samples.

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby KrazyKat46 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Thank-you so much for helping! Settings now at 9000 and 512.
Sorry this had to be repeated for XXXth time :oops:

Running i7-840, 8GB, SSD, yet all important Libraries (Spectrasonics, NI Komplete10, IvoryII) on dedicated, Caviar Black 1TB HDD) and that should be the 'bottleneck' during Live play and Recording. Hopefully in decent shape now to move forward.

Regards,
KrazyKat46
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:02 am

hey ... that's alright.

As long as you have everything running 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries