Login

T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Postby doubtingtom37 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:25 pm

@ bryan7nebula .... heckuva Post :!:

Not much more to ask re this topic _ kudos 8-)
doubtingtom37
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:43 am

@ bryan7nebula:
Thanks a lot for your efforts here! You really got me thinking about getting both C1B and C2A and the MFD compressor. And I really like your conclusion: "But I think my ITB bases are covered pretty well with those five."

- There is a time for getting good tools for the job, but then there is a lot of time really learning those tools. Limit yourself to really learn the flavours and when to use what tool is one of the important things to getting better, I think.

- And I just have to say thanks to AlexB too, both for making these incredible good tools - and for a very useful demo where I really can test different settings and get a good impression about what a compressor like C1B can do.

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby bryan7nebula » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes, learning the tools is important. Here is my usual process for working with a compressor. I pick a ratio that in my mind fits my goals (this is a guess, more or less). Then I pull the threshold down until I feel I am getting close to my goal. Then I work on the attack and then the release. After that I tweak the different knobs to refine.

Does this process make sense? Any suggestions?

Bryan
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi!
Yes, that makes sense to me, I use this method too. Lately I have began experimenting with combining two compressors after each other (A classic combination is LA2A followed by 1176 or the other way around, see here: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/chaining-1176ln-la2a-compressors).

That's not totally new to me, but I haven't done it with Nebula compressors that much yet. I found out that combining Sum 100a from TimP with the CL1b from AlexB was sounding very good on a quite dynamic female vocal. But I haven't done any "scientific" experiments - so it's just one observation! To be investigated more :D

-Little digression, but kind of in the similar ballpark: I picked up a cool tip regarding combining Pultec EQ from different 3rd party Nebula developers, using one EQ on bass and another on kick.

I reckon combining different compressors from our 3rd party developers will reveal interesting colors/flavours...!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries