Login

T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks, TimP for your info about the unit you've sampled.
Ah, see that much of that info is revealed in the video you've posted too (variable attack and release time).

Downloading the demo now :D
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 pm

@ TimP: Can you explain what the demo preset Blu MU 20 F-M stands for? Is the ratio 20?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 am

Oh yeah, Fast to medium attack. I separated them into to different sections as slower attack uses less cpu!

Yes brutal 20 ratio

Edit- just added the info to the page http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads ... complimit/
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks! But the attack slider goes from 0,3 ms - 6.00 ms on both presets, is it actually disabled so the F-M means program dependent fast to medium attack? In other words the two presets are demo of the limiter function of the unit- or? I don't quite get this, sorry!
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 am

dagovitsj wrote:Thanks! But the attack slider goes from 0,3 ms - 6.00 ms on both presets, is it actually disabled so the F-M means program dependent fast to medium attack? In other words the two presets are demo of the limiter function of the unit- or? I don't quite get this, sorry!

Hope this clears things up :)
The slower attack version is only in the full version. The other preset is a additional low cpu but not the slow attack.

Basically this is a free preset from the pack not necessarily a demo.

It's the compressor side not the limiter

Cheers
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:25 am

Right, thanks again!
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby bryan7nebula » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:27 am

dagovitsj,

Alex's C1B and C2A are awesome. Spent hours with them yesterday. Right now, those two and Tim's 100 are my favorites as well. I like Alex's Chandy also, but it is a little "harder" to use just because of the inherent options in the hardware. I had a lot of fun yesterday comparing C1B, C2A and 100 against a new Serpent 4001 I just installed. All very different compressors, but the Nebulas compared well with regard to roundness, pressure and warmth. The 100 held up really well on the transients, sounding a lot like the Serpent in certain ways. The Serpent did one thing the Nebs didn't. The bell of the ride cymbal through the Serpent sounded like it was in the room. I couldn't get the Nebs to do that, but the 100 was close. MJUC, unfortunately, just couldn't match the musical qualities of the Nebs and the hardware, at least in my effort.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby bryan7nebula » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:12 pm

And MFD might be the finest neb compressor. The amount of control and detail is great.

I find that the better I get at using compressors, the more I appreciate Nebula compressors. That makes sense, of course.

MFD is certainly worth having :)
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby dagovitsj » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:54 am

@ bryan7nebula:
I had a lot of fun yesterday comparing C1B, C2A and 100 against a new Serpent 4001 I just installed. All very different compressors, but the Nebulas compared well with regard to roundness, pressure and warmth. The 100 held up really well on the transients, sounding a lot like the Serpent in certain ways.

- I think it's very interesting that you compare three Nebula library against a real hardware compressor and that they almost have nailed it - or perhaps already did in many ways! Interesting times.

- Can you elaborate about what are the main differences between C1B and C2A? Do I need both? I have read a thread over at GS, but it would be interesting to have your thoughts about it since you already have compared them against Sum 100a and the Serpent 4001. It seems to me that the C1B is good for vocal, acoustic instruments, bass, electric guitars etc - but probably not so good on drums and percussion? One guy called Mikeharris over at GS says: "The CL1B is bigger & thicker...best for tracking...CL2 not as colored...great for 2 mix." Do you agree?

And MFD might be the finest neb compressor. The amount of control and detail is great.

I find that the better I get at using compressors, the more I appreciate Nebula compressors. That makes sense, of course.

- Actually that one has slipped under my radar! I have the MFD console, but haven't thought about getting the MFD compressor. The MFD is the compressor found in the AMS 88RS console, if I remember correctly? I have only tried the N**e equalizers from AlexB, but no compressors. How does this differ from the C1B and C2A - the MFD has no tubes, but is solid state or, more punch and aggressive, but with the silky sound of N**e, or?
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby bryan7nebula » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:34 am

dagovitsj,

I am no expert, but I will do my best to describe the differences that I heard between the compressors. First is that the the C1B, C2A, and MFD all sound clearly different.

The C1B has a nice thick thuddy sound, that could nicely reinforce and control low instruments. It also has a very nice, smooth sounding room smash setting. After enjoying the room smash, I went over to GS and found people saying how much they loved this hardware for room smash. Many wrote that they wished the hardware had a true HPF. I was thinking the same thing when I listened to Alex's demo. But after I bought the full C1B, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he has an HPF built in, so you can better control the pumping if you wish.

The C2A can not really get a room smash going, but it does seem to be a "stronger" compressor. By that I mean, I think it would be useful for a wider range of instruments. It seems to grab at a wider frequency range, and in that way, it is not as limited as the C1B. I believe it could sit on a bus more easily than the C1B. It felt powerful and useful as I experimented.

Now, the MFD is more sophisticated sounding. The controls just seem to be really snappy and smooth at the same time. It was actually pretty reminiscent of the Serpent 4001. When pushed, the MFD put a nice sheen of saturation over the compression. Things seemed to sizzle in a very pleasing way. It feels like a finer thing. Sounds like a record. A more powerful and elegant compressor. It is hard to use another ITB compressor after using this one.

Right now, my top five Neb compressors are

Tim's U76. Tim's 100. C1B. C2A. MFD.

And that list is not in a particular order. It would all depend on usage. But I think my ITB bases are covered pretty well with those five.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries