Login

T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi!
I'm considering purchasing one of the above compressors (software that is...!). But is there anyone of you who have done a comparison between them, as I reckon they emulates kind of the same compressor technology (variable-mu) from the famous danish company and MJUC the one from M****y?

The T**e-T**h CL 1B for Powercore is rather expensive, while Blu mu from TimP and MJUC from Klanghelm is more in the same price area.

I have read over at GS that the Poco version of CL 1B is regarded much better than the native version for some reason. Any of you who still use Powercore here and have some thoughts/comments?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: T**e-T**h CL 1B (Powercore) vs Blu mu (TimP) vs MJUC?

Postby bryan7nebula » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Buy all of Tim's compressors.

Buy as much of Alex's stuff as you can afford.

Buy MJUC.

The above 3 lines could not be more true :)

Is it the same as having 20 grand worth of hardware compressors? You decide.

Are those three suggestions above worth every penny. Of course!!!
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby drezz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 am

I have both the MJUC and the Tim P Blue Mu.

The Mjuc is a good bread and butter, old school sounding thick kind of compressor, pretty great for ITB, great for algo based comps, but really, the Tim P has the edge. Tim's Blue Mu is a fantastic compressor, one of the best currently available, has a wonderfully smooth character, and the presets are very well chosen. Has a real sound and colour. Not to be missed. Eminently use-able for many applications..................
drezz

Postby david1103 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:29 pm

I just caved in and bought MJUC yesterday after the endless praise. Not used it yet, but the demos sound really thick and solid. Does it have the 3d nebula magic... I doubt it, but sometimes 3d magic is not the most important part of what you are after. Many regular VST compressors make the sound small and weak, fingers crossed MJUC will not fall victim to that audio horror.

I tried the softube native cl 1b and it sounded good (from memory), but that was years ago. Had nothing to compare it to back then.

Tim P's compressors are amazing, he has his own special secret methods of sampling that make them quite different to other developer's offerings.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks to you all! I just downloaded AlexB's demo of his Nebula version of T******h CL1B - wow! What a smooth and great sounding compressor. I haven't tried the hardware version, but this sounds really great on vocals.

@ drezz: Is Blue mu/Limit from TimP his take on the T******h CL1B? Or are we talking about another compressor? Can't find any clues on his web page as I can on AlexB's web page. If they are identical, it seems like you can tweak attack and release on AlexB, but they come as presets in the TimP version. Is that correct?

@ bryan7nebula: So that's your tactic, eliminating the pain og choosing by purchasing all of them...! He, he, but you're probably right - it probably depends on how many colors you want in your palette, I reckon?!

@ david1103: Yes, good point about the 3D - each and every plugin doesn't have to have that, but I also totally agree about some compressor plugins are just putting a "sock over your digital files" to cite Henry Olonga - and making the sound lifeless and boring. I think I've already concluded that I don't spend my money on the Powercore version of T******h CL1B - AlexB's version sounds incredible!
Would you mind writing some words of your experience with MJUC when you have done some testing? Looking forward to read it.

I tested AlexB's version of T******h CL1B followed by TimP's Sum 100A compressor on a very dynamic female vocal - wow, great combination of compressors.

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi just seen this....

It's not that hardware, It's the VCA MU unit. Also yes it's tweak-able but also has the fairchild style presets(preset 5 in all the same ratio's as the tweak-able one's) that are on the hardware. there is a demo in the demos sections for one of the tweak-able presets.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:16 pm

I think the Blue thing from TimP is the LCA2B, from the same brand.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:I think the Blue thing from TimP is the LCA2B, from the same brand.

It's not opto :)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 pm

The LCA 2B is VCA, I think. But I guess you know better than me ! :lol:
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:The LCA 2B is VCA, I think. But I guess you know better than me ! :lol:

my bad, I read your original message wrong 8-)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries