Login

AlexB: Massive Mix eQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Massive Mix eQ

Postby evaderod » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Brian wrote:On the hardware frequency selection is stepped, gain and bandwidth controls are continuous (for the standard version).

Thanks for the info Brian! :)
evaderod
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:59 pm

One of the more interesting uses for this EQ is playing the shelving filters against each other. In parallel, you can achieve some very powerful reshaping and interesting curves.

One example would be for vocals:
Band 1 shelf boost - add a touch of weight to the bottom by boosting very low (60~100hz) with a broad q.

Band 2 shelf cut - remove some low boxiness or room tone and leave a bit of space for fundamentals of supporting instruments

Band 3 shelf boost - lift anywhere between 1.2 ~ 8.2k, whatever makes the vocal cut. Just don't push it too far with this.

Band 4 shelf boost 8~16k with a sharp Q (making a resonant shelf with dip) to add top while reducing harsh upper mids which come between 4~7k. Again be gentle, less is more here.

For more obvious shine or air up top, you may have better results with other EQs.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:23 am

davidgary73 wrote:
Avgatzeblouz wrote:Really wonder how this one compares to Magenta...

Mercado_Negro wrote:I prefer the MMeQ 8-)

+1. MMeQ sounds better and full in comparison to Magenta 2 but both have its strength.

Magenta 2 strength is the mid and low band, not the high bands unfortunately. MMeQ high band sounds smooth even in the demo :)

What you hear in the mid and low is the sound of the converters. They should be the Prism, they have thin bass and the mids in forward that sound congested, also it lacks in microdynamics. A converter should be transparent and invisible or the sound will be colored. In mixing use there are people which love this - not me - but for sampling it's a non sense IMHO.
Last edited by AlexB on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:24 am

AlexB ....

Someday I would like to inquire of your 'custom converters'. :mrgreen:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:58 am

Brian wrote:One of the more interesting uses for this EQ is playing the shelving filters against each other. In parallel, you can achieve some very powerful reshaping and interesting curves.

One example would be for vocals:
Band 1 shelf boost - add a touch of weight to the bottom by boosting very low (60~100hz) with a broad q.

Band 2 shelf cut - remove some low boxiness or room tone and leave a bit of space for fundamentals of supporting instruments

Band 3 shelf boost - lift anywhere between 1.2 ~ 8.2k, whatever makes the vocal cut. Just don't push it too far with this.

Band 4 shelf boost 8~16k with a sharp Q (making a resonant shelf with dip) to add top while reducing harsh upper mids which come between 4~7k. Again be gentle, less is more here.

For more obvious shine or air up top, you may have better results with other EQs.

- Thanks, Brian! Always pick up a trick or two from your postings :D
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Thierr7 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 pm

Defenatly a brilliant release Alex ;)

I really appreciate the "non-stepped" frequencies :D
I would buy it in "Aqua" form right away !

I haven't tried it with Magenta yet but i'm sure the high frequencies of MMQ are a big + ...

Keep going with your stellar releases :D

Thierry .

PS: A tape library would be amazing for sure ...
Thierr7

Postby kylen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:16 pm

According to a manual I read the mix version used either "2 x 12AX7 EH" or "2 x 5751" along with "4 x 6414" tubes. The Mastering version used "2 x 12AU7, 4 x 6414" tubes.

Just curious AlexB, what tubes did your Mix eq version use? Thanks!

PS - I have it and it sounds great and is very responsive.
kylen

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm

dagovitsj wrote: Thanks, Brian! Always pick up a trick or two from your postings

Thank you, very glad to share information and approaches! I've learned a lot from watching other people work and even reading online. I think explaining the goal or target of each gear decision, or purpose for each EQ band in this example, can be quite valuable and much more useful than very specific information, such as boost 3.3kHz by 4dB. As always, specific frequencies and gains depend on the source, and using all 4 bands may not even be necessary.

For example, the goal of the band 3 shelf boost is to bring the vocal forward and up in the mix. I just close my eyes and increase the boost slowly until the vocal seems to raise slightly on the vertical plane and at the same time become more present or forward-sounding.

Also if the EQ is placed pre-compression, the compressor will have a significant impact on the overall tone too. I usually set up a mostly-complete vocal chain now first, so I can hear the interaction between EQ and compressor when tuning.

By the way, for the air or top end boost, the T95 or PTQ libraries from Alex, or the Pearl or even the free Ochre can all make a great pairing with the MMeQ. The T95's 10k shelf and the Pearl's 12k shelf are both amazing in different ways. The Ochre or PTQ can do the sharp bell thing for a more focused peak higher up between 12-16k.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby sfabs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Brian wrote:One of the more interesting uses for this EQ is playing the shelving filters against each other. In parallel, you can achieve some very powerful reshaping and interesting curves.

Hi Brian, how are you paralleling? using Reaper or a Meta plug? are you mixing 50/50 with clean and EQ'd signal, or am I misunderstanding...

thanks as always
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:11 am

sfabs wrote:
Brian wrote:
Hi Brian, how are you paralleling? using Reaper or a Meta plug? are you mixing 50/50 with clean and EQ'd signal, or am I misunderstanding...

thanks as always

I'm speaking of using the HW and UA models. I haven't tried the MMeQ in parallel yet, but I would use a Meta or chainer plugin for that. Inserting a few in serial with 50% wet in reaper would not achieve the same thing.

You'd have to send the channel you want to EQ to 4 busses or aux channels, one for each band. Now disable the source channel's send to the master bus. Insert a Nebula instance on each of the 4 channels, and leave faders at unity gain. Adjust each band as needed. If you want, subgroup all 4 channels back to a stereo mix for easier control. As you can see, it's really a lot of trouble, haha! Better to create a chainer or metaplugin preset.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries