Login

AlexB: Massive Mix eQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Massive Mix eQ

Postby AlexB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:21 am

The PoolTeQ has this interaction in the low band, (again: the user manuals have all infos about the libraries and how to use them). I have sampled it in the old library and it will be retained in the next v2 also.
The units sampled are TWO ORIGINAL vintage equalizers from early '50 totally refurbished (They cost more than 10.000 Euro).
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby ericzang » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:49 pm

In the manual for MMeQ it states:

"when you need more than one band of equalization you should use the LE presets and as last band the HQ. This interaction gives the right color and harmonic contents. However if you want more color and saturation you can use more HQ bands at your taste."

If I have one band on my master bus (for ex a High Shelf HQ), then on my tracks they all would use LE?
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby davidgary73 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

ericzang wrote:In the manual for MMeQ it states:

"when you need more than one band of equalization you should use the LE presets and as last band the HQ. This interaction gives the right color and harmonic contents. However if you want more color and saturation you can use more HQ bands at your taste."

If I have one band on my master bus (for ex a High Shelf HQ), then on my tracks they all would use LE?

Not quite right there.

What Alex suggested is to use the HQ presets and LE preset after the HQ in general may it be on tracks or master. You can opt to use a few HQ version on a single track if you desire so.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby ericzang » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:03 pm

ok thanks, so if I understand correctly then, this "authentic" approach applies within a single track, but not applied to the entire signal flow. In such a case for example, a single track would have 1 HQ and 1+ LE presets, and likewise the master bus would first use an HQ and subsequent bands using LEs.
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RJHollins » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:20 pm

There seems some confusion here, complicated by how one routes their audio signal.

If I can help clarify ...

The HQ presets each contain the full 'harmonic' character of a sampled device.

The LE are presets are without this harmonic content. [clean]

If one wishes to emulate a particular unit, yet is using several presets in a chain, then the initial presets would be LE versions ... the last preset in the chain would be HQ.

Granted, how a signal gets routed through the DAW is a variable. There are many possibilities based on intent.

We should also be mindful that each HQ preset 'may' have its' own unique harmonic character. These can also be influence, with say, an equalizer band ... are we cutting or boosting.

The beauty ... the user can design a custom signal flow to allow a truer emulation, or greater/lesser emulation based on how many LE and/or HQ are chosen.

Dealing with BUS and Master sections can complicate this arrangement. This can be a factor when 'rendering', or 'freezing' individual tracks. If LE and HQ's are split across a track and a BUS, then the 'rendering' needs to take this into consideration.

hope this helps.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby davidgary73 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:03 am

ericzang wrote:ok thanks, so if I understand correctly then, this "authentic" approach applies within a single track, but not applied to the entire signal flow. In such a case for example, a single track would have 1 HQ and 1+ LE presets, and likewise the master bus would first use an HQ and subsequent bands using LEs.

The text below is taken from MLEQ pdf. I use this simple approach with HQ preset for boost and LE preset for cuts.

Take in mind that every preset (every EQ band) has his proper harmonic contents, so they are different into low, mid and high. Normally you should use the FULL (HQ) program for the band that you want to boost and ND (LE) program for cut. In this way you'll have the closest sound to the original hardware but of course you can mix the programs at your personal taste.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby ericzang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks David and RJ for the info :idea:
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Alex, did you sample from the transformer balanced outputs?

Looking forward to checking this one out.

Cheers!
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby AlexB » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Brian wrote:Alex, did you sample from the transformer balanced outputs?

Looking forward to checking this one out.

Cheers!

Yes ! :)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info.

Downloading now. Nice touch including the filters and cut/boost in the same programs.

I will compare this to the UA Massives - for me their workflow and shaping is very similar to the hardware but the tone and size is slightly lacking. I have high hopes for the MMeQ.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries