Login

Please help me find THE compressor

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Please help me find THE compressor

Postby FrankSharp » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:40 pm

I just dived into the aqua world a few days ago with Green and Amber.. I also tested all the other Aqua plugins and know... actually I need them all... :-) but as I can't afford them all at once I went on with Nebula Pro because I need some nice affordable compressors first.

It would be very nice if some of you experienced users could help me choosing the right compressors for Nebula Pro.
I don't need punchy drums, or any punch at all because mostly I do just recordings with a jazz guitar and a voice, or sometimes acoustic guitar and voice and maybe some percussions.
So what I'm looking for is a compressor that just takes away some peaks, makes a smooth sound, glues together voice and guitar and last not least adds some extra dimension.

So far I found the cupwise creamy 660 demo that could do that job and also the alexb CLG which does nice stuff on clean guitars.. jazz and acoustic I think...
I also didn't test the included compressors in the pro bundle so far..
But as it needs days to test all the demos I would be very thankful if some of you experienced users could share their experiences and lead me to the right compressors for Nebula.

Thanks a lot, Frank
FrankSharp
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Please help me find THE compressor

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi ,
You can't go wrong with AlexB Comps ...

Latest Tim Petherik's ones sure sound pretty good too for warming up tracks !
Thierr7

Postby drezz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Try the Blue Mu by Tim Petherick, so smooth and lovely. It's a really great natural sounding comp that could be just what you're looking for.

The U76 is really good too (also by Tim P) but of course, it's a 76 type FET so might be too grabby for your specific needs.

The creamy 660 compressor by Cupwise also nails the transparent and 3d lushness of a vari-mu design.........
drezz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ce1909 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:31 pm

Give this a whirl-Sum 100a leveler V1
http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads ... a-leveler/
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mtalavera » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Also check out the compressor offerings from CDSoundmaster and their audio plugins. Many are based on the Nebula engine and some are independent creations. I have many of them and I can't speak to their compression characteristics as I'm no expert, but I can say that the feel and vibe are worth the price alone.

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... ugins.html
mtalavera

Postby FrankSharp » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks...
..Thier7, I checked out all compressor demos of AlexB.. they all sound fantastic even at every conversion of sample rates.. pretty hard to say what I like best so far.. the A5D, N64 is amazing, also the N64... but the CLG does something I can't describe but love it.. it clears everything up somehow without adding so much low frequencies..
..drezz, the Blue Mue really does a fantastic creamy job when used at a low compression rate..
..ce1909, I think I will give it a try... sounds good what I read and it's pretty cheap..
..mtalaver, didn't know soundmaster, tested the free trial of their Guitar FET Compressor combined with an EQ for Nebula Pro... wow, I absolutely love what it does for clean electric and acoustic guitars.. amazing sound; unfortunately there is a crackle as soon as the compressor starts working.. at every sample rate :-(

I think I liked most the transistor stuff because it adds less 'tube low frequencies' which can be too much for that clean sound I'm looking for... for rock or louder stuff it's ok or even needed..

Just wanted to let you know that I read and very appreciate your comments that helped me a lot and that my ears are dead now.. :-)
Thanks a lot!
FrankSharp
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Brian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:35 am

Sounds like you have some good options already among what you've tried.

For these applications, Alex's CLG and N54 can be excellent on guitars and percussion.

Also check out his Valve Tech bundle. The hardware equivalents are fantastic on vocals and guitars.

For extra glue and dimension, you may want to experiment with console or tape libraries too. Check out the MFC for a cleaner sound, or N14 for more character.

CDSM has a good Ampex collection, and Tim's new T Tape sounds promising too.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby FrankSharp » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Brian wrote:Sounds like you have some good options already among what you've tried.

For these applications, Alex's CLG and N54 can be excellent on guitars and percussion.

Also check out his Valve Tech bundle. The hardware equivalents are fantastic on vocals and guitars.

For extra glue and dimension, you may want to experiment with console or tape libraries too. Check out the MFC for a cleaner sound, or N14 for more character.

CDSM has a good Ampex collection, and Tim's new T Tape sounds promising too.

Thanks Brian, that's an important comment for me... seems like you know what I'm up and that my ears are not so bad :-)
I already own CLG - my first Nebula program :-) - and after hours of comparing the compressor demos I have now N54 on my list to buy next.. so your suggestion is absolutely identical to what I found out so far...
For my ears the Valve Techs take away to much of some fine high frequencies I love...
As I was about checking out console programs and as it's not really possible to test it I'm very thankful for your opinion.
Too bad the MFC needs an extra authorization what could take a while... and it's Sunday :-)
... so I think first I will give the N14 a try today... and get information about the Ampex..
Thanks a lot!
FrankSharp
User Level II
User Level II

Return to 3rd party libraries