Login

Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:37 pm

just wanted to pop in and say that the Bx is great! just "that" verb you need for drums, bought it a few weeks ago and i like it alot!
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

Postby Livewire » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:57 am

This reverb is amazing - I had the chance to borrow a real one recently and this is sounding the closest I have heard yet.

Just a question on performance - what dsp buffer is everyone setting? I can't go below 2048 with the full programs otherwise my asio meter peaks out completely (although CPU doesn't). I'm on Cubase 7.5 with the latest Nebula server version. I don't seem to get this behaviour with other programs like the VNXTe240 which I can't run at lower buffers, but I am getting similar results with the Nolard full programs too (can't go under 2048).
Is this due to the sheer complexity of these programs?

Thanks
Erin
Livewire
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

i'd say it's very possibly/probably due to the complexity of them. having the sampled control in there makes the inner workings more complex in a way that definitely increases CPU use to a noticeable degree, which is where having the longer buffer comes in handy.

personally at the moment i don't feel too comfortable posting what my dsp setting is, because it's pretty high, but i don't remember how much testing it was based off of or if it was a sort of temporary thing i put in there for debugging. so i'm not going to offer it as a suggestion to anyone else.

i'd suggest that the best solution for you is going to require a bit of experimentation, just raising it until you're happy with the tradeoff of cpu vs latency, which is going to be a different setting for each person/system. i think, but i'm not sure, that you have to always double the number each time you want to increase it. i'd suggest either making your own copy of the dll/xml with the setting, to use just for reverbs (or maybe even just for my reverbs, if they're causing more strain), or you could use zabukowski's excellent nebula setups program to do it. i think that might only be possible on pc though, not sure if you can do it on mac.

by the way thanks for the compliment and i'm glad you like it!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm

i'm on a dual i5, and i usually work very small projects and keep things as small as possible, having either 2-3 instances of nebula and maybe an instance of acqua or two, having my cpu up 70% (the reading is not correct in your daw though), but i have each instance running 4096 and no pops or whatsoever, there's also a few selective modes where you can choose where the IIR (i think it is) starts to kick in and calculates the tails of the verb in pure FFT, which is very useful if they are beyond truly audible dynamic range, well as cupwise also put it, it's different with each program and system, but it can give you a couple of ideas to experiment with on your own.

- cheers!
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

Postby Livewire » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah I thought it must have something to do with the sampled control. The cool thing is that the lite versions are very usuable in low latency situations so I can use them when live dubbing and mixing, then as suggested in the manual switch to the full versions when rendering.

I just got a new machine so my mission is to get my other two machines running as FX servers so I can run my sessions with lots of nebula reverbs at 1024 in nebula and 128 on my RME. So far I've managed to get it work and get 6 full VNXT and lite cupwise on the slaves running jbriged through fxteleport. Next thing to try is Vienna Ensemble and see if it performs better. Am looking into Neb server but finding it pretty criptic at this stage, hopefully I can get it to work at some point and properly compare it's performance. It was cool to load up 6 EMT plates into consecutive inserts over a piano and it still be playable, some crazy sounds just from doing that!

BTW Tim I just got your plate set and am really looking forward to using it, love your work.

Erin
Livewire
User Level 0
User Level 0

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries