Login

Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Postby Cupwise » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:59 am

hmm thanks for the heads up. i might put a note that you need a flash player installed on the audio clip pages if i get time.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby andiw » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 am

Or you use a HTML5 player so that mobile users can listen to the audio, too ... ;-) (flash player doesn't work for iOS / Android users)
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Mysterygrimms » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 am

http://imgur.com/a/bNJ4L (Pictures of the unit)

Got the Fisher K-10 unit in today, but apparently it was pulled from a Hammond Organ so the power cord is stripped and the dial button has no knob.

So if anyone in this forum knows about repairing studio equipment or can point me to someone who can customize this unit for a reasonable fee, then PM me please. Thanks. Also buy the Bee X-20 Spring Reverb from Cupwise it's very good.
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RE301 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:29 pm

I would suggest -> go to the hardware store or electronic shop & get a 2 prong / unearthed AC plug, and wire it up yourself..it doesn't matter which wire goes to which prong.

And just use the dial / pot as is without the knob, if it clicks in & out and turns....and works...

Don't let out the magic smoke!

And yes the Bee X-20 sounds great... now I need a Cray supercomputer to run all these reverbs
RE301

Postby Mysterygrimms » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:54 am

Fair enough. Thanks. I gotta take a look at the schematic, then run down to Radioshack (Do they even exist anymore?) It's been a hot while since I soldered anything or twisted a wire together, believe it or not (So I am not really experienced). Been too busy creating music as a producer. Anyways thanks. And once again, get the Nebula Bee X-20 Spring Reverb (Really good for ITB).
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

Postby seabstudio » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:02 pm

Fisher K10 , great unit to sample .If i know how I can do that :) or i can send my unit to a dev ...
I use this reverb for long time .

The "trick" is to damp one spring in the tank ( the tighter one ) , the spring is more "bonnggggy "
A good preamp or limiter is important to send a good signal to the preamp of fisher unit ( see manual )
You can EQ it and low/hi cut too to find the sweet spot , apply a hipass on mixing console to the aux send , spring verb don't like infrabass and is not necessary.

To finish , plug the out of the unit to a good passive direct box into mixing console mic input .
For tubby sound we can send the reverb signal to a group with passive filter unit and play with the sound ....it help to find a good "texture"
test this amazing program :
http://signaltonoize.com/?page_id=2361

I think we can apply it those tricks to the BeeX-20 too :) ( more Channel One , not Tubby sound )
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Mysterygrimms » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:09 am

seabstudio wrote:Fisher K10 , great unit to sample .If i know how I can do that :) or i can send my unit to a dev ...
I use this reverb for long time .

The "trick" is to damp one spring in the tank ( the tighter one ) , the spring is more "bonnggggy "
A good preamp or limiter is important to send a good signal to the preamp of fisher unit ( see manual )
You can EQ it and low/hi cut too to find the sweet spot , apply a hipass on mixing console to the aux send , spring verb don't like infrabass and is not necessary.

To finish , plug the out of the unit to a good passive direct box into mixing console mic input .
For tubby sound we can send the reverb signal to a group with passive filter unit and play with the sound ....it help to find a good "texture"
test this amazing program :
http://signaltonoize.com/?page_id=2361

I think we can apply it those tricks to the BeeX-20 too :) ( more Channel One , not Tubby sound )

Seabstudio, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have noted all them and they sound very helpful and useful. I appreciate it. Thanks again. Once again, get the Bee X-20 Spring from Cup. Very well done. Thanks all.
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 pm

seabstudio wrote:

like i've said before, i think my 'color springs' set is probably pretty close to the fisher in sound, main difference being the tube amp on the fisher. i sampled the spring tank in that set in i think over a dozen different configurations, with different amps driving it, and sometimes with other effects in the signal chain, and often with things sitting on the springs or other ways of damping them used, among a few other tricks.

to bring this back around to the bee x20, i'm thinking about making another program just by mixing the left and right channels together which would make a mono effect but it would be thicker.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby seabstudio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:20 am

[quote=Seabstudio, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have noted all them and they sound very helpful and useful. I appreciate it. Thanks again. Once again, get the Bee X-20 Spring from Cup. Very well done. Thanks all./quote]

No problem , hard to find some tricks and tips for this old unit and like to share too ;)
seabstudio
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Cupwise » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:09 am

So I've finished several extra programs. First there are programs that have the mono setting on the kern page set on, which means the reverbs are only using the impulses from the left channel. You could've done this yourself pretty easily but I like having the ability to just try the different presets and hear the different versions that way. These versions do sound a lot different than the stereo ones because the channels are both somewhat different. It'd be cool if I could have programs that only used the right channel impulses (I could but I would have to make another new set of vectors and I don't know if it's worth going that far)...

Then there's another mono set that required creating new vectors, which are made by collapsing/mixing the left and right impulses together. When testing I felt that these ones could be preferable to the standard stereo ones in a lot of cases, because the stereo ones are pretty wide with the left/right channel reverb effect being somewhat different, but also these mix-down reverbs are a lot thicker. I just found myself really liking the sound of them. I did the same thing with my Raybon reverb set but I think the result here just turned out even better.

It might seem like I'm just adding stuff that doesn't amount to much to puff this set up but I really think these alt versions add a lot more variety that should be actually useful. The mix down mono versions are not something you could easily get with the standard programs, through any simple method, at least that I can think of. Even running them on a send channel and collapsing the reverb after Nebula would not be the same.

One last thing I noticed was that I forgot to include the manual with the downloads, and that's been fixed.

I'm currently uploading the update files so everyone who bought already should get a link to those soon, but my upload keeps failing (failed at 99% a couple hours ago!) so I can't say exactly when that will be.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries