Login

Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bee X-20 Spring Reverb

Postby RE301 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:20 pm

I've long been a King Tubby 'fan' (decades) & I've come to the conclusion that the King Tubby 'modifications' were probably very slight eg: in the case of his console - replacing the channel section Quadrant Painton faders with stock Langevin faders & in the case of the spring reverb 'modification', a contraption may have been rigged up to physically smack the springs & presumably all built into a case - electronics & spring slapper..

By all accounts KT was a skilled electronics tech who did consumer electronics repair (his main gig I believe!), built amps & did tech work for other studios / radio stations - but I've come to the conclusion any of his 'modifications' to the actual KT studio stuff was minor & something that's gotten overblown....

On spring reverbs & the Space Expander, there's one factor for sure with the hardware mechanical units which is that the sound is very non-linear & constantly morphing subtly - and especially they tend to be very responsive to how hard you hit it with level / transients, in which case the sound can change a lot depending on how the springs are reacting...

IR spring responses don't deliver that element of responsiveness at all... the Neb springs (3rd party) I've heard have a ton of spring character / sound great but still lack the same kind of responsiveness as hardware units, though they sound really good (neb libraries).

Another thing I've noticed with 3rd party Neb spring libraries is they tend to be very clean, detailed & hifi sounding eg: don't have all the hum / RFI noise / audio grime I associate with my Space Expander.. which for many people will be a big plus (!!) ..
Last edited by RE301 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RE301

Postby Mysterygrimms » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Mysterygrimms wrote:
Cupwise wrote:
i don't have one, no. for a long time i wanted to get one of those, and was stalking them on ebay, especially after i read somewhere that king tubby may have used them. however, i feel like when it comes to the spring reverbs in tanks like that, theyre going to have a fairly similar sound, and i've done several of them already.

not saying i wouldn't do more, but the bee X-20 was made from kind of a different type of spring altogether, with a much nicer, more 'hi-fi' sound compared to most springs. i think the gibbs spring release i did a few years ago is probably closer to the space expander, so you might want to check that one out if you haven't already.

Cupwise I own all your reverbs except the custom plate one. I need to pick that one up by the way. They're all good, but I am still looking for the Fisher Expander reverb sound. I'll try this newer one though. Your libraries are superb though (The ones that I own at least, Nolard 555 being my favorite)

RE301 wrote:Thank you for the reply re: decay time...!

I'm very pleased Cupwise is on the scene once again :-)

On the Space Expander - indeed many reliable sources peg this unit as the type used by King Tubby... I own one & can confirm its a standard Accutronics-style spring tank (though re-branded) with tube electronics for the preamp/amp stages ..and that's it. As used inside (I believe) some Hammond organs & in tandem with home hi fi's.. The Cupwise Gibbs is probably near-identical if not identical...

The BX-20's were in a whole other price class ($$$) in their day for professional use.

Yes I am a Reggae and Hip-Hop producer that's why I would love a Nebula Library with this unit sampled. I want that King Tubby sound (Well his exact sound is impossible to replicate, but something close enough to it as far as the reverb). I practically own every Nebula Reverb library with the exception of E.A.R due to AITB closing their shop (For now).

If you watch the Fisher Expander youtube video I posted the guy replicated the exact sound I am looking for but King Tubby used a modified version of the Fisher Expander K10, but the original is good enough for me. RE301 thanks for the explanation though greatly appreciated. I just bought Cupwise's new reverb about an hour ago. So, I am going to test it out and go play with it soon.

Edit: RE301 I have a question regarding the Space Expander? How much is the upkeep for this unit? Someone was selling it on Ebay a month back for around $230 USD. I was going to buy it, but thought to myself, the upkeep may be too pricey for me. But since you actually own one, I'll pose this question to you?

Edit 2: Heres a new Ebay listing but it's an auction (No buy now) it's currently going for $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-Dynamic- ... 4641a4dffb
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RE301 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 pm

The upkeep on a Space Expander would be dirt cheap, mine has cost me nothing in about 15yrs(!) .. it uses super standard 12AX7 / easy to find amplifier tubes in the case you would ever want to replace.. the circuit itself is really simple, if you should ever want to replace the capacitors.. same with if you'd want to experiment with another reverb tank, they are easy to find & inexpensive...
RE301

Postby beingmf3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:44 pm

FYI: I'll bid :lol:
beingmf3

Postby RE301 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:50 pm

If you must have the real thing, then nothing else will do! :-)

Fwiw I've used both hardware Space Expander & 3rd party Neb spring libraries on some recent prods..

Btw - that Ebay auction appears to be for the tube amp part only - no spring tank

And... the guy in that youtube clip has a neat-looking compact N**e (!)..never seen one like that...
RE301

Postby Mysterygrimms » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:39 pm

RE301 wrote:If you must have the real thing, then nothing else will do! :-)

Fwiw I've used both hardware Space Expander & 3rd party Neb spring libraries on some recent prods..

Btw - that Ebay auction appears to be for the tube amp part only - no spring tank

And... the guy in that youtube clip has a neat-looking compact N**e (!)..never seen one like that...

Thanks for the explanation. Basically I should of bought it when I had the chance. A guy was selling the whole unit on Ebay a month ago for $230 (Including the tank, he stated all parts in the description). If I ever see one again around that price range, I will purchase it immediately thanks again.

Edit: Ok, Luckily I was browsing Ebay again and found this unit and bought it for $199 (The seller even lives in my state Massachusetts). Hopefully I made a good purchase @ RE301.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-The-Fisher ... AQ:US:1123
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am

Demo programs are up, so if you haven't already bought the set, you should go check those out!
http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/bee-x-20-spring-reverb/
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby andiw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Audio demos doesn't seem to work ...
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Cupwise » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 pm

they wont play? do the players even pop up?
what browser are you using?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby andiw » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:21 am

I don't have the flash player installed. With Safari and Firefox (Mac) I see nothing, not even a warning.

Chrome works since it has its own flash player
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries