Login

T tape Released!!! updated 05/11/15

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: T tape preview

Postby RE301 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Its funny how 'tape' has become a kind of outboard effect..back in the day, it was the only recording medium available so no one ever used to talk about 'tape sound', tape compression etc - the only thing in the discussion was tape hiss so engineers were mindful of levels going to tape in that respect (while also being mindful of the fact VU meters don't represent fast transient peaks well eg: drums, percussion etc) - no one normally ever used to smash the levels as an effect or to obtain 'compression'... engineers more sensitive about hiss / hating it would obsess about noise reduction like Dolby...

One thing is for sure that the tape 'sound' is influenced to a huge degree by the actual type of machine - immense differences in sonics due to design, components / circuitry, build quality, heads, head wear, maintenance /alignment, etc...

I really miss using tape, (that is to say good-sounding professional machines ).. the sound - especially with drums, the process/workflow, also the smell of it & the time to reflect on things during rewind...

When I had my own shop, I used to use an MCI multitrack which was based very closely on the Ampex & actually had an MM1200 in storage acquired in a bankrupt studio firesale, but never got it commissioned in the end... the professional multitrack machines cost a fortune when new at the time...

You have to sample that Ampex! :-)
Last edited by RE301 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RE301

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 pm

I know what you mean. Rolling the tape back gives your ears a rest too. Being forced into breaks is a good thing in the end
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:12 am

Thought CDS has an Ampex Tape Library??? Its Excellent too!!!
dacaveprods

Postby RE301 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 am

dacaveprods wrote:Thought CDS has an Ampex Tape Library??? Its Excellent too!!!

They do - also VST Apex Plugin / Tape Booster which are very nice indeed ....this combo brought me a lot of joy & is uncannily close to the sonics / vibe of what I remember from working with tape... the ATR 102 in Apex is a standout, it captures the tone/vibe really well of the hardware unit IMO..its surreal being able to use ATR-102 in a multitrack kind of mode in the DAW as opposed to a mixdown 2 track machine.... I believe CDS used one of the newer tape formulas in making the libraries & VST's (?)...

I would definitely be very interested whatever Tim P comes out with in the pro tape realm too - especially that AMPEX within arm's reach which I would snap up immediately, if that ever happens :-)
RE301

Postby RE301 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Tim - have you got the electrodes hooked up to the Ampex yet? :-0
RE301

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm

RE301 wrote:If anyone would ever do a library with the old Ampex/Quantegy 456 formula I'd be thrilled, I miss that tape (and the smell of it too) - to me Ampex 456 @ 15ips was the 'sound of rock n roll'... (at least during certain eras) .. the newer boutique tape formulas of some which are apparently based on Ampex 456 don't seem to capture the vibe of it, also IMO missing the graininess / hiss & 'rocks' (aka: modulation noise)..

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... PX-pc.html
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 pm

and Tim, congrats on the tape project.
I am sure it will be great!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dacaveprods » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:46 pm

RE301 wrote:
dacaveprods wrote:Thought CDS has an Ampex Tape Library??? Its Excellent too!!!

They do - also VST Apex Plugin / Tape Booster which are very nice indeed ....this combo brought me a lot of joy & is uncannily close to the sonics / vibe of what I remember from working with tape... the ATR 102 in Apex is a standout, it captures the tone/vibe really well of the hardware unit IMO..its surreal being able to use ATR-102 in a multitrack kind of mode in the DAW as opposed to a mixdown 2 track machine.... I believe CDS used one of the newer tape formulas in making the libraries & VST's (?)...

I would definitely be very interested whatever Tim P comes out with in the pro tape realm too - especially that AMPEX within arm's reach which I would snap up immediately, if that ever happens :-)

iNDEED!!!
dacaveprods

Postby sfabs » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 am

um... is it tape week this week......? :P :P :P
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby trickster » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:30 am

Lots of exciting things happening in nebula world this week but this is the one I'm waiting for :P any news?
trickster
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries