Login

AlexB: Chandly Ltd Germanium

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB: Chandly Ltd Germanium

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:15 am

Still waiting for the purchase link but eager to being learning the strengths of this library. If the zener knee is anything similar to the kind of squish and smash available on the Zener Limiter, than this will be a beast for parallel compression on drums or vocals.

I'm skeptical as to how well it will work when blended with the dry signal in Reaper or with parallel bus routing. There may be some phase issues.

Has anyone with the library tried mixing with a dry signal in parallel?
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby sfabs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am

Brian wrote:Still waiting for the purchase link but eager to being learning the strengths of this library. If the zener knee is anything similar to the kind of squish and smash available on the Zener Limiter, than this will be a beast for parallel compression on drums or vocals.

I'm skeptical as to how well it will work when blended with the dry signal in Reaper or with parallel bus routing. There may be some phase issues.

Has anyone with the library tried mixing with a dry signal in parallel?

Hi Brian

glad to have your thoughts on it... I have never used the real hardware but I love what I read about it and am hopeful it can do what the hardware can do. Although all the reviews I read wax lyrical about the importance of the dry/wet control and the extra dimension this gives the compressor. I was really hoping it would be a simple wet/dry slider you could use within neb.
I know in the past a lot of people on the forum (when people have mentioned or requested dry/wet controls on libraries) have said how easy it is to setup in reaper and that they haven't suffered phase issues. BUT... I don't use reaper (yet) and parallel bussing is not so "quick/easy" to setup in Cubase (especially if you have an FX chain which also needs copying to the parallel bus).I'm not adverse to doing work but having the same controls (dry/wet) that the comp features as standard would certainly make it a doddle (and more creative/ enjoyable/ spontaneous) if it was part of the Neb interface...
I have found Tim P's 1176 library INDISPENSABLE with the installed dry/wet control he added, I use the control all the time, especially on drums.
I'm not sure I would end up using the library without the feature, at least till I was using Reaper
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

In fact, I've never used the germ comp, only their limiter. I expect the circuit is quite different, but the sound is superb. It's nearly impossible to insert without switching to limit mode and cranking the in and out gains and grinning. I've been impressed with all the C******r gear I've used, so I have faith in Wade to tune the timing constants and tonal ranges in a really musical and useful way.

Yes, I can understand the trouble with parallel processing in Cubase, especially if the processor is in the middle of a longer chain. Reaper really does have a lot of very simple but indispensable features that offer great convenience.

Maybe it's possible for Alex to add a dry fader to the programs as a future update...let's wait and see.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby sfabs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:12 am

Brian wrote:In fact, I've never used the germ comp, only their limiter. I expect the circuit is quite different, but the sound is superb. It's nearly impossible to insert without switching to limit mode and cranking the in and out gains and grinning. I've been impressed with all the C******r gear I've used, so I have faith in Wade to tune the timing constants and tonal ranges in a really musical and useful way.

Yes, I can understand the trouble with parallel processing in Cubase, especially if the processor is in the middle of a longer chain. Reaper really does have a lot of very simple but indispensable features that offer great convenience.

Maybe it's possible for Alex to add a dry fader to the programs as a future update...let's wait and see.

Yes, that would do it, a dry / wet update, it's the only thing holding me off pulling the trigger. I know there are a lot of controls already but perhaps have some presets HQ with the ahead already set to full so there is room for a dry wet fader.
Would that be possible Alex to help non reaper users?
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I've emailed Alex with this request.

I'll have a chance to give this library a thorough workout this week with mixing a single for an EDM/pop project, a children's music EP, a hard rock stem mix, and mastering for an ambient/drone album.

This is a perfect chance to try out all the tonal options on diverse melodic and textural sources, as well as lots of aggressive, percussive signals and various male and female vocals.

I'll be sure to post back here as I go, if I find any particular programs or settings that really stand out.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby mtalavera » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:49 pm

I have been using this now along with the BLUE EQ, which I understand is modeled after hardware from the same company. I have only used this pairing on distorted guitar tracks so far, but I can report in using just a few of the presets along with modest boost/cuts along each of the EQ bands, and only slight gain reductions, that there is a weight added to the sounds. That is exactly what I was hoping would be the case for these two products. I am excited to try this combination on other instruments and on vocals.

I certainly hope Alex plans on creating a whole line of Chandly products, because I am very much enjoying so far the tonal qualities of this compressor paired with the BLUE EQ.
mtalavera

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Here are some highlights from the hardware user manual that should be relevant:

Suggestions for knee/curve parameter:
Germ Soft & Medium are favorites as best compromise between coloration, tone, and punch.

For stereo bus / mastering - Resistance, Germ Soft

Smashing and parallel bus - Silicon Hard, Zener

Suggestions for parallel processing:
Try on submixes to add firm control, using Silicon Hard or Zener. Blend in just a bit of the limited wet signal.

Suggestions for timing:
Attack: for drums and bass try between 2 - 6
Release: experiment a lot, sweep from one extreme to the other

Starting Presets:
tight drums
dirty, ratio 5-7, germ med, attack 3-5, release 0-1

bass
clean, ratio 4, germ med, attack 3-4, release 1-2

sustained drums / bass
dirty, ratio 8, germ med, attack 6, release 6

gentle acoustic guitar
dirty, ratio 4-6, germ soft, attack 2, release 2

electric
clean, ratio 2-3, germ soft, attack 5, release 0

vocal
clean, ratio 4, germ soft, attack 3, release 1

drum submix
dirty, ratio 6, germ med, attack 5, release 0

mixbuss
clean or dirty, ratio 2-3, resistance or germ soft, attack 5, release 0

I've omitted the information about tuning drive & feedback since we simply have 3 fixed options to choose from.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby sfabs » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Brian wrote:I've emailed Alex with this request.

I'll have a chance to give this library a thorough workout this week with mixing a single for an EDM/pop project, a children's music EP, a hard rock stem mix, and mastering for an ambient/drone album.

This is a perfect chance to try out all the tonal options on diverse melodic and textural sources, as well as lots of aggressive, percussive signals and various male and female vocals.

I'll be sure to post back here as I go, if I find any particular programs or settings that really stand out.

Excited to hear how you get on with it, especially on the EDM and hard rock project. Looking forward to your feedback :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:24 pm

There are a lot of options between the different knees and 3 levels of dirtiness. So far, I've mostly been auditioning the dirty programs, as I tend to rely on compression for tone as much as level control or rhythmic shaping purposes.

I've been getting good use from the germanium medium knees. Sounds great on drum and bass buss with attack about halfway and release as fast as possible without pumping against the rhythm. Ratio between 3-6.

I still need to experiment more on individual sources and with the harder knees.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Germanium soft at the smooth or dirty setting adds some awesome thickness and tone to the mixbuss. Attack anywhere between 2-5 sounds good, with a fast release.

I think at similar settings, this should sound really great on groups of pads or strings as well.

I also got around to trying out the silicon hard and zener knees on drums and mixes...these are still very smooth and can pump in a nice way while still having a kind of softness or roundness.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商

Brian

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries