Login

AlexB: Chandly Ltd Germanium

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

AlexB: Chandly Ltd Germanium

Postby AlexB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello,
the Chandly Ltd Germanium library has been released !!!

CLG: Chandly Ltd Germanium is a class A compressor with transformers, the compression circuit uses FET gain reduction element. The compression curve, the knee, can be selected by various diode combination and the tone can be selected from flat, smooth and driven.
Chandly Ltd Germanium manages to sound with character without being weak and harsh. There is little apparent colouration, just a maturity of tone. This library programs is the result of more than 300GB of sampled data from the original hardware. (The library is 1.2GB)

Some notes on useage:
It is helpful to understand a little about what the different curves are (based on the diode selected, going from softest to hardest knee)

Resistance - This is the gentlest and most neutral of the knee curves.
Germanium Soft - Uses a single germanium diode. Has a very slightly sharper knee and starts to introduce some “vibe”.
Germanium Medium - This uses 5 germanium diodes (different type than the other) as well as the diode from the soft setting. This is even slightly more sharper kneed and more colorful.
Silicon Medium - This uses a single silicon diode and ihas a sharper knee than the other modes. It also has a different tonal character than the other modes.
Silicon Hard - This uses 2 silicon diodes in combination, sharpening the knee even more, and of course adding yet more “vibe”.
Zener Hard - This uses a single zener diode, and contributes the sharpest knee character. It also introduces another different tonal and compression character.

It is important to note here that in the original hardware, the attack and release were tuned by ear to be musical, and NOT configured using math and ratios. So the numerical settings on the Nebula version are approximates based on the hardware, they are NOT faithful numerical representations of milliseconds!
Again, I strongly urge you to look up and download the manual and even the “brochure” they offer. In those you will find much very interesting and useful information that will help you enjoy this library more and understand the depth of it's usage.

Please, check the website and download the user manual and try the Demo, it has the same audio quality and performance of the commercial releases but with some restrictions.

No C.P. !

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu

Thank you, all the best ! 8-)
Last edited by AlexB on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Re: AlexB: Chandly Ltd Germanium

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:02 pm

This one is yummy, everyone.
One do the cool things about this compressor is that is extremely versatile. It can be very soft, clean, and that elusive "transparent", and it can be fast, hard, very colorful, and crunchy. And all points in between. I helped "test" this for Alex (I put it in quotes because his beta libraries are almost embarrassing to test, they are almost always release-ready!), and what was most remarkable for me was that I did a very large and complex mix and only used this library for all compression duties, and it was not just "good" for the testing, but it really worked for everything I used it on.
This one is very very yummy.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby doubtingtom37 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Lots of AlexB Demos loaded on Neb 3FREE and this was just added after your Post. Getting to where almost anything will push me over the hump to Pro :o

Thom B
doubtingtom37
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby kylen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:23 am

Excited to try this one out AlexB!
@richie43 which Nebula version were you using for your mix, just curious> Thanks
kylen

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:41 am

kylen wrote:Excited to try this one out AlexB!
@richie43 which Nebula version were you using for your mix, just curious> Thanks

I am a crazy software tester, and that includes testing for Acustica, so I am always using the newest testing version of Nebula (unless I run into troubles with a beta, which is surprisingly rare). But as far as released versions go, I ALWAYS suggest to stay updated with Nebula and Acqua engines. Most (I hope so at least!!) of the devs develop their libraries on whatever the current released stable version is, so among other reasons, stay updated!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby prosodio » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:36 pm

This is a true beast!! Great library, a very versatile compressor with all the quality of Alexb sampling technique. No compressors come even close to these...
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby pipamail » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Just tried the DEMO...
Overheard my credit card sighing :mrgreen:
pipamail
User Level III
User Level III

Postby kylen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Waiting for the download to finish (read both AlexB and Chandy hardware manual in the meantime). Will have fun with this one tonight and will try on the latest nebula (thanks richie for input on that)... :D
kylen

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 pm

I am just excited about this one, more than usual, actually. The more I use it, the more I am loving it. It really is doing everything I am throwing it at, and it is not only "passable", but really nice. Crystal clear or a crunchy tonal signature......and the delicious variances in between.....
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Alex,

Are the driven vectors sampled with the "dirty" switch active? I'm just curious what differences there are between settings for the flat, smooth, and driven programs.

I would assume the flat ones have little or no feedback and moderate gain, while smooth ones have a moderate amount of feedback with lower gain, and driven ones adjusted for both high feedback and gain. This is just according to recommendations in the hardware's operation manual.

Anyway, very interested to try this one.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries