Login

AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby AlexB » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Demo and commercial are the same, the only restriction are less controls, no HPF and one ratio only.
The VTD is improved version of the old OTD, not available yet. VTD sounds more close to the hardware than OTD.
Probably it is a wrong setting or something changed in the neb. xml making some "famous tricks"...
Are you sure to use the same ratio, att, rel... ?
To go over -15dB GR is insane, even in the hardware... It is not a squash compressor... IMHO.

If you have problems, please use the support via email. I haven't time to read - and reply - forums on the net.
Thanks
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:09 am

hifi3000 wrote:
I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula

if my settings are higher than these values, will that have a negative effect (i.e. less authentic sound) on these programs? just curious...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:22 am

no
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWANG » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:25 am

^ok, cool. thanks, rj...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby malekmusic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:17 am

AlexB wrote:Are you sure to use the same ratio, att, rel... ?
To go over -15dB GR is insane, even in the hardware... It is not a squash compressor... IMHO.

Yes very sure i use the same settings, but to be honest, it doesnt make a diffrence what srttings i use. The cib wont compress more than 5db even if it shows 15 db gr, no matter how hard i hit it.

Yes compressings vocals over 15 db is very crazy, but i do that with your cib to actually get compression. With -48db threshold and 50ms release it sounds really uncompressed. I have worked with the real hardware by the way.

I will send you an email.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby 7blanche » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 am

I am also having problems with VTD, but I was not sure if I was using it correctly. Anyways, I had Powercore CL1B and always got the compression what I wanted, but with VTD I feel like something gets lost or I get lost.
7blanche
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWANG » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:46 pm

maybe those who are having the issue should submit an email to alex. if you are able, send him some files or video. may help diagnose the issue(s).

i'm going to make some test vocal recordings this week. if i find the similar issues, i'll drop him a line personally.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby nverxion » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:49 am

I just discovered these programs for myself. In my case, I was hooked by the tone, which I find so beautifully dark and warm that I couldn't resist. I know exactly what I'll use them for.

As far as the compression goes, I too noticed that I had to smash down on the C1B threshold to get any compression. I actually was able to get the result I wanted, though (mainly the color), so I wasn't overly troubled. I have no experience with the mother hardware, after all. What made me give Alex my money was the result I got when I brought the gain control back up to unity with the bypassed signal. That tone is so awesome I couldn't handle it.

Ultimately the "behavior" didn't bother me too much because I have other compressors that can give me the desired behavior if VTD is not giving me what I want. I just put one of these VT babies after the algo and send the signal into it for the color.
AcquaVox / Amethyst / AQ3 / Coral / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server
nverxion
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri May 27, 2016 2:53 pm

I bought this compressor months ago, but I use it less and less, I always feel a big bump in the low mids, around 250 Hz, just by putting it on. Has anyone experienced this as well ?
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Synonym Music » Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 pm

That's how it should work. There's a pronounced thickening but also glassiness just from audio passing through.
Synonym Music
User Level 0
User Level 0

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries