Login

AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby flipnaut » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:17 pm

How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
User avatar
flipnaut
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby Shuriken » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:57 pm

myimo wrote:Hi Shuriken

I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula


Hello, myimo

Yes, I've read the manual and noticed that section. I was using Nebula version 1.3.7xx which was set almost identical to those parameters, with only one difference being in the AHEAD setting (5,9 in my version), so I haven't made any changes. Today, I've installed the newest version (1.3.903) and I've noticed big difference in the value of those settings, which are rather low in this version. I will set this parameters as written above and check it again.

Is there any way to fine-tune the settings numbers, except holding Shift while dragging the slider?


flipnaut wrote:How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?


Would be cool if someone could do A/B testing between the real hardware and those libraries.
Shuriken
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby hifi3000 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Shuriken wrote:
myimo wrote:Hi Shuriken

I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula


Hello, myimo

Yes, I've read the manual and noticed that section. I was using Nebula version 1.3.7xx which was set almost identical to those parameters, with only one difference being in the AHEAD setting (5,9 in my version), so I haven't made any changes. Today, I've installed the newest version (1.3.903) and I've noticed big difference in the value of those settings, which are rather low in this version. I will set this parameters as written above and check it again.

Is there any way to fine-tune the settings numbers, except holding Shift while dragging the slider?


flipnaut wrote:How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?


Would be cool if someone could do A/B testing between the real hardware and those libraries.


Hey Shuriken,

have you had success with adjusting those parameters? I am asking because I kind of find myself in the same situation. Feeling as if moving the volume fader myself was a picture that I had as well, so I am interested if you have any news to share.
hifi3000
User Level 0
User Level 0
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby Shuriken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:41 pm

hifi3000 wrote:Hey Shuriken,

have you had success with adjusting those parameters? I am asking because I kind of find myself in the same situation. Feeling as if moving the volume fader myself was a picture that I had as well, so I am interested if you have any news to share.

Hello, hifi3000

I've set the parameters according to the AlexB's manual, as myimo mentioned. I believe there's no reason not to do that, because AlexB certainly knows what he's talking about.

As far as audio quality is concerned, I don't think I've noticed any difference.
To be honest, I'm not sure what are the benefits of doing this, so would great if someone could enlighten us.
Shuriken
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby malekmusic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am

i had exactly the same experience yesterday. maybe there is something wrong with the demofiles?? i tried to compres vocals, but it sounded really strange. the gain reduction did reduce the volume and the tone was definatly the T******h tone, but the compression action was really weird, kind of no compression.the threshold was pushed down to maximum and playing along with the attack and release didnt help either. all it did do was lowering the volume of the vocals.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby AlexB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:09 pm

malekmusic wrote:i had exactly the same experience yesterday. maybe there is something wrong with the demofiles?? i tried to compres vocals, but it sounded really strange. the gain reduction did reduce the volume and the tone was definatly the T******h tone, but the compression action was really weird, kind of no compression.the threshold was pushed down to maximum and playing along with the attack and release didnt help either. all it did do was lowering the volume of the vocals.


Maybe you have used the external side chain preset.
Please DOWNLOAD and READ the user manual.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby malekmusic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm

AlexB wrote:
malekmusic wrote:i had exactly the same experience yesterday. maybe there is something wrong with the demofiles?? i tried to compres vocals, but it sounded really strange. the gain reduction did reduce the volume and the tone was definatly the T******h tone, but the compression action was really weird, kind of no compression.the threshold was pushed down to maximum and playing along with the attack and release didnt help either. all it did do was lowering the volume of the vocals.


Maybe you have used the external side chain preset.
Please DOWNLOAD and READ the user manual.


I am trying the demo which doesnt seem to have a sidechain. I played around with it for maybe an hour. It doesnt matter how hard i hit it, even with 50ms release, it cant compress vocals enough, at least with that 3:1 ratio in the demo mode. The gain reduction shows me - 15 db @ minimum theshold(-48db). When i do that with same settings on the algo plugin i have gain reduction which cant be displayed on the vu. I have to bring the threshold down to -20 to have 15 db gr again, but then it still sounds more compressed. Thats why i think maybe in the demo is a restriction that you cant compress more then maybe 10 db or something.

The tone of that thing is just really beautiful and im about to buy the library in the hope of being right about the demo restrictions or being able to compress enough with a higher ratio.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby malekmusic » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Ok i bought this library. Unfortunatly it behaves the same way the demo does. I cant compress vocals with it, which is kind of heartbreaking, because the tone of it is nothing short of amazing.

Maybe i can use it on drums.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby SWANG » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 pm

yeah the real test would be trying to compress another source. i can't see it solely being an issue with vocals. :?
ok, bye!!!
User avatar
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 am
Location: new york

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Postby malekmusic » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:45 pm

A friend of mine has the old version of the c1b, so i sent him vocals to compress it, he sent me a picture with the settings. That sounded really good, i can not reproduce that at all. The new version doesnt "grap" the programm. It sounds like its not compressing, well very gentle, even in extrem settings.

Maybe AlexB could give me a link with the old version. Besides me 2 other poeple here in this thread had the same problem, so maybe there is something wrong with the presets.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bullwhip, Max Caviar and 7 guests