Login

n2065 v2 now available!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: n2065 v2 now available!!!

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks hwasser and pleplo - good points there!

I just checked with my book "Mixing Audio" by Izhaki, and he suggests using shelving filters as an alternative to high pass and low pass if one wants to soften the effect a bit.

Which of the Nebula shelving filters do you have good experience with/reccommend regarding this way of "tuning" an instrument to fit in the mix or simply soften it a bit?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby pleplo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:35 pm

High shelf and low shelf are also good to use when you want the filtering to be more natural and subtle/smooth.. I use it on vocal sometime and overhead not to change to much the character and shift phase.

Tim Silk EQ is good for that.
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Yes that's a good technique too! It makes space in the mix without radically changing the character. I really like Pultecs attenuate for this job!! Espicially the 5k attenuate. The broad character/curves means it's harder to damage audio.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 pm

I love this forum/community - so many helpful people! Thanks pleplo and Tim for sharing your tips.

Strange fenomenon: If you purchase a car, learn a new word etc - suddenly they pop up everywhere, and they appear new...! Just found a video where Ryan Hewitt uses a Pultec to soften an upright bass guitar ;)

https://youtu.be/R5kFsIjjSMA?t=3m4s
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Support » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:55 pm

I just checked with my book "Mixing Audio" by Izhaki, and he suggests using shelving filters as an alternative to high pass and low pass if one wants to soften the effect a bit.

You avoid big phase shift with shelfs, you can measure it in Smaart. Remember a 24 dB/oct in sub speaker normally needs a polarity reverse and that means a 180º phase change in all frequencies.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Support wrote:

You avoid big phase shift with shelfs, you can measure it in Smaart. Remember a 24 dB/oct in sub speaker normally needs a polarity reverse and that means a 180º phase change in all frequencies.

- Not sure if I understand the last part about 24 dB/oct needs a polarity reverse etc. Do you mean that I have to be careful if I use steep high pass filters like 24/oct or 36-48/oct to clean up the lows? And I'm better off using shelving filters to clean up the lows? I'm learning new things regarding mixing all the time so I'm all ears!
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sfabs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 am

dagovitsj wrote:@ sfabs and pleplo:

Hi! I'm demoing Honey EQ and like it a lot 'cause I can place this on many tracks and use HP filters and get a good sound quite fast.

BUT, I have a lot of Nebula EQs already, Nebula console emulations etc and have noticed that both of you praise the Nxxe filters from TimP. My plan is to purchase n2065 and use them on all tracks to clean up and then put some of my Aqua/Nebula EQs on different tracks. In short: I'll try this combination rather than cash out for Honey now.(try using what I have instead of always purchase new expensive things...!).

I reckon that n2065 don't demand so much CPU so it's no problem using this on a bunch of tracks?

Just a "newbie" question: I'm familiar with using HP filters, but when / or on what tracks do you use Low Pass? I can think of using Low Pass on background vocals to push them a bit in the background, and perhaps guitars - especially el-guitars to achieve the same thing. There is a lot of talk about High Pass filters (cleaning up the low end etc) - but hardly any info about when mixers use Low Pass AFAIK...!

Any comments?!

Hello Dagovitsj

Yes love these filters! because they have high and low pass on one instance, they are stereo as well (2 units sampled alongside each other) AND I like how they sound. Knowing Tim they are probably in TIMED or SPLITH mode (havent checked yet), so basically lots of instances might hit your CPU harder than other libraries. But they are my go to for High Pass and a bit of Low pass.

Your low pass question is a good one, really good one! there is very little information out there (this forum will always help though).

I remember reading a thread on Gearslutz (cant find it now :( ) suggesting that with all the flexibility and hundreds of tracks we have and use in the digital world, the build up of super high frequencies over so many tracks can sound very nasty to the ears and you should low pass any sources that don't require those high frequencies, the thread never really went on to say which categories or instruments you can get away with low passing though! I came across it as I really felt like my high end sounded harsh when played at levels of other tracks I really liked.

Long story short, I never found a rule that said what you could and shouldn't high pass. I picked a hand full of tracks I loved and knew were mixed and mastered well and then applied a steep high pass filter at 1K and slowly moved up the frequency scale to 10K whilst listening to what sounds & instruments I could make out at those high frequencies and at what point they disappeared. I use Fabfilter for this kind of analysis as it is so easy to use. It didn't give me a hard and fast answer but I recommend you try it.

Now I generally use a spectral analyser to quickly see if a track or group has any real high frequency content that my ears aren't noticing. I might then use a fabfilter low pass to slowly remove the highest frequencies whilst bypassing to see if this affects the track in a negative way... Don't just solo the track to do this, also listen to it within the mix! Then I switch out Fabfilter with Nebula and low pass accordingly if I can get away with taking some out, I do.

if i just need to smooth or slightly round off the highs I use Tim's X filter as it is a REALLY shallow filter and perfect for that function (for me).

Also, It's less of a problem for me as using Nebula libraries to process your tracks automatically makes the high end sound soooooo much sweeter!

Hope that helps, it's what seems to work for me right now :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby sfabs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:59 am

dagovitsj wrote:
Support wrote:

- Not sure if I understand the last part about 24 dB/oct needs a polarity reverse etc. Do you mean that I have to be careful if I use steep high pass filters like 24/oct or 36-48/oct to clean up the lows? And I'm better off using shelving filters to clean up the lows? I'm learning new things regarding mixing all the time so I'm all ears!

I do a lot of high pass filtering in the low end (sometimes quite steep if necessary) and this is definitely where you need to watch out for Phase shift. I try Nebula presets and Fabfilter Q2 as it can do steep filters (24db, 36, 48 db and higher (the higher the Db, the steeper the curve of the filter) and I try it with linear phase or minimum phase. I see which one sounds best and watch the level changes as well, as the phase shift can change the levels!

This video might shed some light on it all, the alternatives, downsides etc I found it really good and learned a lot
http://www.fabfilter.com/video/eq-linea ... imum-phase

ps, i dont work for Fabfilter!! lol, im all about Nebula! but it can be helpful sometimes
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks sfabs for your input and the youtube-link. Gonna check that out and start using some of the tips I've got here ;)
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mightymosaic » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:01 pm

After spending some time with this library i have decided these filters are worth their weight in GOLD.
mightymosaic

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries