Login

New Blue mu Comp/Limiter,NOW ADDED REDUCTION METER SKIN

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: New Blue mu Comp/Limiter released! 25% OFF until 9th of

Postby sfabs » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Wow Tim! thanks for doing that...

Cant wait to try this out on the drum buss with the limiter setting and some parallel compression so I can drive the distortion but maintain the transients
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 pm

tobiasheymer wrote:
TranscendingMusic wrote:This limiter is so awesome. Gain to unity, then pull down your threshold and find the sweetspot where the signal gets steadier. Then pump up the drive/harmonics. Sweet 8-)

Hi,
how does that compare to doing the same thing with L2 or any other limiter? Is there a noticable difference soundwise?

And: Is the limiter quick enough to catch everything? - can it be used as the final limiter in the chain?

thanks,
Tobi

hey Tobi, in addition to what Tim said, just think of it for what it is: more like an analog limiter. Think individual instruments and adding character, rounding off peaks.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu May 07, 2015 8:52 pm

HERE is some Non varible ahead Limiter N2p's. This is also added to the main release download.

Note on stereo bus you'll probably need to run two instances to make this more effective, I've not played to much with this but it's catching nicely I believe.

Also master page Ahead will have to be set at least to 1.5ms or 1500 In xml. It's set internally to 6ms so you could set master to 6ms or 6000 in xml. Seems to be working ok..

Dry overhead
Limiter with ahead

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 08, 2015 6:22 am

No sonic report :? No DEMO? :?

I'm looking to add yet another main buss compressor. I would like it to compress, but even more important, use as a tone.

Tonite I've just listened to the N54 demo. I have a 'dixieland' project [recorded live] that is light in the bottom end :roll: This N54 [no compress] is doing a nice job of enhancing just that which is needed.

But then, Tim releases this ... :|

Blue Mu .... 'you saw me standing there' ... sorry.

Come on GANG ... we need a sonic report !! :lol: or at least a DEMO preset.

Heck ... most likely end up with both :roll: , but I'm trying to be responsible ... PLUS ... I got to master these 25 tracks, and need something [beside EQ] to set the palette.

All apologies .... WHAT a dixieland band :shock: Having trouble sitting in my chair ... I'm trying to work ya know :lol:

thx
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri May 08, 2015 10:34 am

Hi RJ,

You want something to enhance the low end?. This won't enhance the low end. Although to some degree the added hpf will very subtly dynamically let some low end through. Like most comps/limiters it has a flat frequency response except the 2db rise in the highs up to 20khz as seen in the graph. This was caused by some sort of pre-emphasis in the side chain I believe. I have some direct sweeps from hardware to show this theory if someone would like to see it. This means on greater compression you get a rise in the highs happening. I feel that this rise is very noticeable though.

All other sonics if you'd like to put it this way are caused by attack and release times, ratios and non EVF related distortion (I'll post some values). This is a good excuse to explain some of the presets :-)

1. Static presets are tuneable. Longer attack and release times are pretty clean, faster times could produce desirable or non desirable low end distortion, I don't like to get into what is good or bad but anyway the user can control this :-) A extreme example of this effect would be 1176 where attack times on all buttons are extremely fast giving a overdrive effect. This release you won't get that effect but maybe some more subtle distortion. Also On this release the hpf cleans up some of that if needed on faster times. Also static/linear times are more predictable and more noticeable compression but will sound very different from say a auto compressor. Which brings us to number 2

2. Preset 5. These are I guess what you could call semi auto, two stage and dynamic pd release. I guess it's hard to explain all the subtle changes that will occur in this configuration. You have the first stage release which has starts of very fast and lengthens on less gain reduction. In theory I guess this means you can get mixture of very fast and slow times with less distortion, plus you get that nice musical shape. Then the second stage controls the the slow part of the material. Even then you still may get a distortion from high speed release so a longer attack is handy and then of course letting some of the transient through, also a hpf is added if you still get some un disirable results. Nice presets for very dynamic material. Also sounds great on bass, you can get away with high ratios without noticing the compression so much. By the way I can customise this type of presets very easily! But we could end up with so many presets, I'd rather wait for everyone to get the feel before I release more. These presets are completely unique.
The templates I created for this type of preset I believe are not found in any other nebula preset including any of my old releases.

The drive control is useful for cleaning up or adding although I'd say this is more noticeable on the limiter.

So I guess long story short the presets are all very different in the sense of EVF and the frequency plot is what you'd expect from a comp.

Sound clips will follow!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Fri May 08, 2015 12:37 pm

RJHollins wrote:No sonic report :? No DEMO? :?

I'm looking to add yet another main buss compressor. I would like it to compress, but even more important, use as a tone.

Tonite I've just listened to the N54 demo. I have a 'dixieland' project [recorded live] that is light in the bottom end :roll: This N54 [no compress] is doing a nice job of enhancing just that which is needed.

But then, Tim releases this ... :|

Blue Mu .... 'you saw me standing there' ... sorry.

Come on GANG ... we need a sonic report !! :lol: or at least a DEMO preset.

Heck ... most likely end up with both :roll: , but I'm trying to be responsible ... PLUS ... I got to master these 25 tracks, and need something [beside EQ] to set the palette.

All apologies .... WHAT a dixieland band :shock: Having trouble sitting in my chair ... I'm trying to work ya know :lol:

thx
RJ, I agree that the 2254 is phaaaat - it definitely adds that low end girth. I use it all the time on the 2 bus. Alex also has a combo master preset for the 8014 desk (I forget which one) which sounds really fat also. However, being as this is a TP thread - I would also recommend Tim's Pultec, the bottom on that is huuuuuge! :D. Also the Gyrator EQ!

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah ... did not want to derail Tim's thread ... although, his stuff is so good, I'm not sure we could deflect for long :)

I do have those libraries ... thanks for the reminder, because at certain points, the archive becomes so deep and wide ... some of the treasures get hidden :lol:

Look forward to hearing the BlueMU 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mightymosaic » Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 pm

This compressor sounds amazing Tim! with that out of the way , i can get back to harassing you for an La2a and La3a to finish off the threesome with the 1176 hahaha :D
mightymosaic

Postby SWANG » Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 pm

mightymosaic wrote:This compressor sounds amazing Tim! with that out of the way , i can get back to harassing you for an La2a and La3a to finish off the threesome with the 1176 hahaha :D

ha! me too! :lol:
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ianc » Tue May 12, 2015 1:22 am

Do you need to click on the "complete transaction" in checkout before the discount code section shows up, my pennies are still tight so I'm a bit apprehensive going further in case I've missed it elsewhere. :?:

EDIT OK just read first post again and missed the deadline :( smack my own wrists for not noticing this thread before when I really should have during last few visits.
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries