Login

AlexB - Neev Collection Released ! N14 N73 N64 N54

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Neev Collection Released ! N14 N73 N64 N54

Postby sfabs » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Brian wrote:We're all still learning constantly...I hope anyway, hah. That's one of the things that keeps this kind of work compelling and satisfying.

There's a lot of fun to be had experimenting with routing and combining programs. And no rules aside from the basics of -protect your hearing and equipment, and if it sounds good, don't question it.

I've got hybrid console setups based on mixed programs from Alex which I love that are impossible in the real world. I would never have tried to setup these combinations unless I was bored with my workflow and feeling adventurous, and taking advantage of how lucky we are to use this kind of software.

With all that said...
One great thing about using things the traditional way is to give yourself limits and really get to know the "sonic signature" and range of certain manufacturers. If you have the time, try doing a virtual 8014 console, or 1608 for example. ONLY use Neev or American programs for everything. See how they sound differently on the same song, or how they lead you to make different decisions. Listen to the overall texture. Compared to working with other plugins, you may find the EQs and compressors quite limited and not at all surgical or invisible. But this will let you embrace their character qualities, and you must focus on the most important things like overall balance and panning decisions.

When the rough mix is done, you should have a much better understanding the strengths and weaknesses and any special tricks of each piece of gear. Hopefully some "a-ha!" moments when you hear a classic recognizable sound, or when something sounds perfect after 5 seconds of tweaking. Then you'll know when and where to use them if you want to get a bit unconventional and start mixing and matching.

Sorry to get so off topic - and still loving the N collection more as I use it more. Very excited and hope Alex continues to release libraries at this level.

Hi Brian, I took your advice.. had a track ready for mixing (stems) and applied N14, MFC and A16 clean group presets on all stems and the appropriate master buss preset on the stereo out and auditioned them individually to get a feel for each of the consoles and the character/ tone they impart to the mix.

Took ages to set it all up so I could flick between them easily to hear the differences which as you can imagine are fairly subtle but noticable non the less to my ears (which are learning), the A16 and N14 are more coloured but in very slightly different ways. It was a great test... I cant even describe what I hear but I have a feel for it... I think

I then went through the stems one by one and chose the console I felt was most suited to the stem, auditioning it on solo but importantly within the mix and chose different consoles according to what I felt sounded best.

It was time consuming but definitely worth it. In fact I have decided I will do it again on different mixes and material to hopefully learn some more about the tones and colours.

Thanks for the tip Brian :) :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Dimzo » Fri May 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Ok, bought the N54, too.
Love how it makes the source thicker. beautiful. 8-)
Dimzo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Linus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:11 am

Thank You Alex

Tested out the N54 yesterday on an acoustic kick
It really brought out the body and punch, It gave me
a vibe of the records I grew up listening to.

Great Stuff!

Thanks for staying on it
Linus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RE301 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Just been experimenting with different compressors on some stereo background vocals & the N54 sounds fantastic on the parts!
RE301

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Linus wrote:... It gave me a vibe of the records I grew up listening to.

That's what made me try the demo - instant buy after using it on a (retro) drum bus. So incredibly fat, you have to dial back your kick drum actually :D

Alex, this is a wonderful library!

That said - is the console in the same vein???
beingmf3

Postby richie43 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:12 pm

beingmf3 wrote: is the console in the same vein???

The console is the "V2" version of his Vintage Blue Console.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:01 pm

richie43 wrote:

But is comparable in thickness and density?
beingmf3

Postby richie43 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:17 pm

beingmf3 wrote:
richie43 wrote:

If you liked the original VBC, you will love this even more. I can't compare a console to a compressor...different beasts. This one is awesome, as is all of the "V2"'s from Alex.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Dimzo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:12 pm

beingmf3 wrote:
richie43 wrote:

the console is more subtle than the comp.
i use the console for separation on all tracks and if i want a thicker and beefy sound i put the comp onto single tracks where i want that.

get both :mrgreen:
Dimzo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dacaveprods » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:45 pm

[/quote]
But is comparable in thickness and density?[/quote]
If you liked the original VBC, you will love this even more. I can't compare a console to a compressor...different beasts. This one is awesome, as is all of the "V2"'s from Alex.[/quote]

In my Nebulatemprepository i see VBC PRO program/vector files, is that version 2??? Thanxx in adv...
dacaveprods

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries