Login

AlexB - Neev Collection Released ! N14 N73 N64 N54

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Neev Collection Released ! N14 N73 N64 N54

Postby Brian » Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 pm

In response to sfabs, richie43, and budda:

Usually these consoles were fitted with 1073 or 1066 preamps (or probably more common, a mix of both). 1272s were used for line amp stages if I recall.

The 2254 and 2264 are both actually mono units, and the desk can accommodate 4 units. Often it ended up outfitted with a pair of 2254s that would be strapped across the 2bus outputs or available to patch as inserts. They definitely wouldn't be run as inserts as a standard channel strip, but mostly due to cost and size limits, along with lack of necessity to have such dynamics control on every track. Then again, Nebula has no problem simulating that kind of console, so go for it.

In that case, better do N73>N54>N14 Line, but experiment and always go with what sounds good, whether or not it's "period correct" or closest to the real-world workflow.

Also, another bump to remind everyone how thick the N54 sounds. This whole collection is lovely.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby RE301 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Congratulations with these new ones!

The N54 looks particularly interesting - I was wondering if the library also works with the dynamics of the material as the original hardware unit would, or if its one of those libraries which captures the sonic characteristics of the original unit, but the user would have to use another additional software compressor/limiter to actually do the 'work' of controlling dynamics in the signal?
RE301

Postby richie43 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:19 pm

RE301 wrote:Congratulations with these new ones!

The N54 looks particularly interesting - I was wondering if the library also works with the dynamics of the material as the original hardware unit would, or if its one of those libraries which captures the sonic characteristics of the original unit, but the user would have to use another additional software compressor/limiter to actually do the 'work' of controlling dynamics in the signal?

These are real compressors, very good ones.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Fantastic - this is very exciting.... yet another purchase is on the way! :-)
RE301

Postby sfabs » Sun May 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Brian wrote:In response to sfabs, richie43, and budda:

Usually these consoles were fitted with 1073 or 1066 preamps (or probably more common, a mix of both). 1272s were used for line amp stages if I recall.

The 2254 and 2264 are both actually mono units, and the desk can accommodate 4 units. Often it ended up outfitted with a pair of 2254s that would be strapped across the 2bus outputs or available to patch as inserts. They definitely wouldn't be run as inserts as a standard channel strip, but mostly due to cost and size limits, along with lack of necessity to have such dynamics control on every track. Then again, Nebula has no problem simulating that kind of console, so go for it.

In that case, better do N73>N54>N14 Line, but experiment and always go with what sounds good, whether or not it's "period correct" or closest to the real-world workflow.

Also, another bump to remind everyone how thick the N54 sounds. This whole collection is lovely.

Wow... great knowledge, great answer, thank you Brian :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby budda963 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:38 pm

thanks for the lesson! I guess I was expecting an in line compressor sort of like the 88rs. Still learning
Macbook Pro Retina i7 (early 2013) 2.8ghz
Pro Tools 12
budda963
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Brian » Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 pm

We're all still learning constantly...I hope anyway, hah. That's one of the things that keeps this kind of work compelling and satisfying.

There's a lot of fun to be had experimenting with routing and combining programs. And no rules aside from the basics of -protect your hearing and equipment, and if it sounds good, don't question it.

I've got hybrid console setups based on mixed programs from Alex which I love that are impossible in the real world. I would never have tried to setup these combinations unless I was bored with my workflow and feeling adventurous, and taking advantage of how lucky we are to use this kind of software.

With all that said...
One great thing about using things the traditional way is to give yourself limits and really get to know the "sonic signature" and range of certain manufacturers. If you have the time, try doing a virtual 8014 console, or 1608 for example. ONLY use Neev or American programs for everything. See how they sound differently on the same song, or how they lead you to make different decisions. Listen to the overall texture. Compared to working with other plugins, you may find the EQs and compressors quite limited and not at all surgical or invisible. But this will let you embrace their character qualities, and you must focus on the most important things like overall balance and panning decisions.

When the rough mix is done, you should have a much better understanding the strengths and weaknesses and any special tricks of each piece of gear. Hopefully some "a-ha!" moments when you hear a classic recognizable sound, or when something sounds perfect after 5 seconds of tweaking. Then you'll know when and where to use them if you want to get a bit unconventional and start mixing and matching.

Sorry to get so off topic - and still loving the N collection more as I use it more. Very excited and hope Alex continues to release libraries at this level.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby sfabs » Thu May 14, 2015 10:52 am

Brian wrote:With all that said...
One great thing about using things the traditional way is to give yourself limits and really get to know the "sonic signature" and range of certain manufacturers. If you have the time, try doing a virtual 8014 console, or 1608 for example. ONLY use Neev or American programs for everything. See how they sound differently on the same song, or how they lead you to make different decisions. Listen to the overall texture. Compared to working with other plugins, you may find the EQs and compressors quite limited and not at all surgical or invisible. But this will let you embrace their character qualities, and you must focus on the most important things like overall balance and panning decisions.

When the rough mix is done, you should have a much better understanding the strengths and weaknesses and any special tricks of each piece of gear. Hopefully some "a-ha!" moments when you hear a classic recognizable sound, or when something sounds perfect after 5 seconds of tweaking. Then you'll know when and where to use them if you want to get a bit unconventional and start mixing and matching.

Sorry to get so off topic - and still loving the N collection more as I use it more. Very excited and hope Alex continues to release libraries at this level.

Brian that makes total sense and I'm going to try it (at least with stems) because as you mention there is quite a bit of work involved. Everyone bangs on about the classic american and british sound, from the same Era's but when you listen to descriptions of the sound people make, there is a lot of crossover... I hope by switching out all the American for Neev across Tracks, Busses and Master to really hear the differences in tone and character. Thank you for your suggestion :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby russianpolecat » Thu May 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Those are great tips from Brian and absolutely what I would suggest doing myself - indeed it IS what I do myself. It's the only way you can really fully appreciate how to use this stuff, you have to try gear out on as many different sources as you can to find the strengths and weaknesses of a piece, or indeed simply what your preferences are - for instance, at the moment I really like the A*I 525 on acoustic guitar.

Big plus also to mixing as you would on the hardware in relation to using as much of the 8014 as possible in the 'correct' way etc. indeed I'm thinking of getting the A*I 1608 and then either using the A*I or the N**e for a simulated tracking phase, and the opposite for mixing. Different songs require different flavours obviously. And, personally speaking, I love the limitations of some of this gear, because it really forces you to be creative with solutions (and to spend more time trying to get the arrangement right and the sound at source - which we should be doing anyway, but hey), plus the more character the better for me! I'm not really one for using transparent gear so to speak (except for notching and what not). The bands that I listen to/fave albums are mostly done on this kind of gear, so I'm in love with the sound for my own stuff :)

By the way, the 1081 will be along fairly shortly I believe :)

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Dimzo » Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi,

i just wanted to say well done! I'm impressed...

I bought the N14 console and applied it slightly on every track of a mix and everything just feels more dimensional to me, even mono signals get more depth. Great stuff!

Have to check out that N54...
Dimzo
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries