Login

AlexB - American Collection Released ! A16 A5A A5B A5D A5M

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - American Collection Released ! A16 A5A A5B A5D A

Postby Dimzo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:47 am

Hi RJ,

i had tried Nebula free many many years ago and at that time i wasn't happy with it so i never used it. I was younger back then, had crappy monitoring and maybe i didn't realize the differences that much as i do now. Then AA released all the beautiful Aquas and after reading a lot in this forum i decided to buy the pro version of Nebula first to check again with some of the 3rd party libraries. That was just recently so i'm still exploring.
I already got the N14 console and the N54 compressor from Alex and if the American counterparts are similar i know exactly what you mean. I used the console on every track of a song and there was suddenly more separation and depth. The N54 also gives a nice fullness to the bottom end that i really like. Damn, i would get everything if i could :lol:
Many of those libraries bring something to the sound that makes it more straightforward, more direct and also there's this thing going on where you get more spaciousness even on mono signals which reminds me of my old vintage minimoog. So yeah.. i've been infected with the sound of nebula and will have a listen to the A5D as well :mrgreen:
Dimzo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mr harrison » Sun May 01, 2016 11:36 am

RJHollins wrote:Not to influence your decision :lol:
Also ... grab the A5D demo preset. You may find this to be yet another gotta have 8-) I sometimes use this dynamic library ONLY for the sound it brings to a 2-mix for mastering. Many times with NO compression used [well, we could if needed]. This library brings something so useful to the bottom end of a mix that is so useful [rather than using EQ].

it definatly brings quite a level boost - dont get fooled by that ;)
mr harrison
User Level III
User Level III

Postby malekmusic » Wed May 11, 2016 1:48 pm

one thing i have noticed about this library is that if you need more than one band, it will colour your music very strongly. this library sounds fantastic, but unfortunatly, and this is only because nebulas system is like that, with each band you open the input and output transformers really bring to much color. with 2 instances im very fine. im talking about the a5m library. would be so cool if it was possible to sample an eq only with one instances, but i guess that will never happen.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed May 11, 2016 2:47 pm

malekmusic wrote:one thing i have noticed about this library is that if you need more than one band, it will colour your music very strongly. this library sounds fantastic, but unfortunatly, and this is only because nebulas system is like that, with each band you open the input and output transformers really bring to much color. with 2 instances im very fine. im talking about the a5m library. would be so cool if it was possible to sample an eq only with one instances, but i guess that will never happen.

Page 78, AlexB user manual:

To emulate the original unit sound you should use both presets HQ and LE by mixing them in this way:
on a single track when a single equalization band only is required you should use the HQ preset, when you need
more than one band of equalization you should use the LE presets and as last band the HQ. This interaction
gives the right color and harmonic contents. However if you want more color and saturation you can use more
HQ bands at your taste.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby malekmusic » Thu May 12, 2016 2:33 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:
malekmusic wrote:one thing i have noticed about this library is that if you need more than one band, it will colour your music very strongly. this library sounds fantastic, but unfortunatly, and this is only because nebulas system is like that, with each band you open the input and output transformers really bring to much color. with 2 instances im very fine. im talking about the a5m library. would be so cool if it was possible to sample an eq only with one instances, but i guess that will never happen.

Page 78, AlexB user manual:

To emulate the original unit sound you should use both presets HQ and LE by mixing them in this way:
on a single track when a single equalization band only is required you should use the HQ preset, when you need
more than one band of equalization you should use the LE presets and as last band the HQ. This interaction
gives the right color and harmonic contents. However if you want more color and saturation you can use more
HQ bands at your taste.

i know about this and i use it like this. but it does not matter if you have harmonic distortion content or not. the transfomers change the frequencies, even without harmonic distortion. the le instances color the sound the same way like the normal instances. a beautiful sound, but its just a little bit too much, when used with more than 2 instances in my opinion.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 12, 2016 4:28 am

In my personal experience, there have been times I've used only LE presets ... however ... what you may be describing ... you may want to research for a more transparent/clean equalizer.

As you know, the 'American Collection' is but one of many flavors out there.

It is one reason the request for 'the ultimate' console or EQ is followed by the 'Get Them All' response. [which basically is what I've done]. And this is the beauty of Nebula/Acqua.

It's all based on the original source, and the desired direction. There are libraries that I dis-like on a given project, and then next week ... perfect for the next one.

If I may ... the push from the community was for color, MOJO, flavor, Vibe ... I was a bit concerned when we started testing 'Clean'/'Transparent' models. As a Mastering Engineer, this was most welcomed as I could retire my clean/bland/UNI-dimensional ALGO EQ's. I was surprised to read such welcoming comments from so many here. Clean [not sterile] is welcomed and beautiful 8-)

Final point ... the only American series that I stack is the A5M equalizer. It has a distinct/beautiful sound. I'm very selective as to what band would get the HQ preset. This is very important as to how it impacts the overall sonics. With my NVC controller, I can easily switch presets from HQ to LE, maintaining all settings. Projects go from all LE to all HQ and everything in-between. Rarely will I use ONLY one brand of EQ on a project. It most always is a mixture of different flavors and controls that, combined, enhance the sonic flavors.

Apologies for the extended response, but do hope some of this helps. This is the place to talk/learn.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby malekmusic » Thu May 12, 2016 7:05 am

Seems like i am not able to describe my thoughts in the right way. Maybe im wrong and hear things which are not there...

In every song i produce i try many eqs for the mixbus and many times i end up with the a5m because for that color it posses. But after opening 3 instances (of course 1 hq and 2 le ones) the color of this eq is just too strong. Its like sending a mix 3 times through an A*I eq and it does not matter if its an le or an hq instance.

I love this library and alex b.s work on this one is nothing less than stellar, so dont get me wrong. Its a limitation of nebula i guess, because you have to open new instances for every band, which causes my problem. Its more easy to open several S*L instances than A*I. I hope i was able to describe my thoughts now.
malekmusic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 12, 2016 10:40 am

Hi malekmusic,

Don't know what to suggest. I do use A5M quite often, there are usually 6 instances [full unit representation]. LE/HQ of all variations. I don't really hear a build-up, at least not objectionable. But that doesn't matter ... if You do, then ... You do.

Suggestions to check. INPUT level. Are you pushing them hard or staying around the nominal -18dB?On the HQ preset, have you tried lowering the DRV fader? That affects the harmonic levels.

Lastly ... are you certain the LE presets are actually LE's ?? Do they show up as 1 kernel?

Again ... just suggesting things to check/verify.

--- EDIT ---
another thought. Are you also using the A16 console? If so ... maybe not needed.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue May 17, 2016 11:28 am

any thoughts how these eq`s compares to the HW you guys who know both :)

thanks
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 am

I use the A5M very often in mastering.

One word ... Excellent.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries