Login

AlexB - American Collection Released ! A16 A5A A5B A5D A5M

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - American Collection Released ! A16 A5A A5B A5D A

Postby kylen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:41 pm

RJHollins wrote:There is something going on with this EQ that I need to spend much more time with... I mention this ONLY because I do need a real good algo EQ to supplement/compliment NEB/ACQUA. I seem to get a lot of restoration/mastering work ... and oft times there is plenty of eq'ing going on. Algo for surgical ... NEB/ACQUA to bend, fold, massage into something of a pleasant listening experience :twisted:
8-)

Nice post RJ! I'm getting on the same flight path with DMG Equilibrium digital EQ as my algo for surgical, Neb/Acqua sampled EQ for more general curves, shapes and of course techni-color. :)
kylen

Postby pleplo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Hey guys so what are exactly the demo limitation of the A5D ?

as I check the specs the unit. its a fixed attack time. so in demo we have full release values. I guess its in compress mode and not limit? are we able to have extreme gain reduction. the unit can have -25db GR. ceiling is set to 4. but what is the difference if we can lower the threshold? its kind of the same no? also we dont have HPF sidechain and extra program where we can set attack time..

thanks
patrick
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

The ceiling control lets you change the amount of compression and output gain with a linked relationship:

(CCW, to 0)
less gain reduction and less output gain
(CW, to 20)
more gain reduction and more output gain

In reality it also changes the tone of the compression and output stage. Balancing the input/threshold control and ceiling is the key to finding the 525's sweetspot. I'm only using the demo too, so maybe Alex can explain more.

The HW has fixed release times at 0.1, 0.5, 2.0, or 2.5 seconds. The demo program seems to be interpolated ranging from 0.1 to 2.5s.

BTW this may be a useful resource:
http://apiaudio.com/product_specs.php?id=104
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby pleplo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 am

Hi RJHollins nice tips for awesome Equilibrium. I know its off topic but been looking for info on this... I meanly use Equilibrium for individual track fixing. mainly first insert HPF and cuts (mud, etc..). I use FIR.. do you suggest Analogue Fir ? 32768 seems legit. what is your suggestion? also All Series? its all technical stuff to me.anyway lol thank you very much for your help. :)

RJHollins wrote:I only have the DEMO at the moment.

I've placed my order for the full version ... should have it tomorrow. 8-)

On a side note. I think I will be down to a single 'algo' EQ plugin.

The two contenders have been FabFilter, which have some really good product. Their Limiter, Comp, and De'essr have been good tools for my work. I upgraded to the Q-2 equalizer ... and then the DMG Equilibrium came out. :roll:

I have been alternating between these two EQ's ... with lately staying on Fab Q-2.

Tonite, I just couldn't get some eq'ing to sound right ... I bypassed what I had done, and it sounded better, but still needed to be fixed. Loaded up the DMG ... as it had been awhile.

The IIR [or whatever that is] sound alright, but I usually went to the FIR setting. Going from 8124 to 16xxx was nice ... to 32xxx was, hmmm, something significant. Just up to 2nd from the most, 192xxx or something ... wow ... had to take a break for a moment.

There is something going on with this EQ that I need to spend much more time with. It may not be as easy or convenient to use as FF, but I'm thinking I like the sonics of the DMG a LOT more. I mention this ONLY because I do need a real good algo EQ to supplement/compliment NEB/ACQUA. I seem to get a lot of restoration/mastering work ... and oft times there is plenty of eq'ing going on. Algo for surgical ... NEB/ACQUA to bend, fold, massage into something of a pleasant listening experience :twisted:

So ... a bit sad. FFQ-2 has been a workhorse at times ... but I have found the limits quite often and have had to backtrack to a new path. Time to put the DMG to the challenge, along with me boning up on the parameters it offers :geek:

8-)
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Equilibrium, Pro-Q, and Acon Equalize all make for fine options when doing more specific tasks or problem-solving (addressing mid, side, left, right separately or managing resonances, etc.).

Back on track though - as expected, A5M is killer for mastering whenever you need a hard or solid sounding low or midrange. Worked equally well on rock and EDM mixes. Peaks at 75 or 100Hz can be awesome for finding extra punch. Pushing the 1-3kHz area also adds a lot of attack.

For vintage bass sounds, try the A5A at 800Hz, boosting as much as 9 or 12dB. Sounds extreme, but just try it. Awesome.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby RJHollins » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:05 am

Tonite I've been mastering a Christian Rock project that, unfortunately, needs quite some TLC as the recording was not professionally done [maybe more of a writers demo]. Nonetheless ... they want these tracks to be more presentable.

I've had to resort to my FF-Q2 and DMG eq's to provide surgery. [as mentioned earlier, the FF eq'ing I did was minor and sounds fine ... but the DMG set to very high FIR is a much tighter sound [for some reason]. I definitely need to school myself up on why I'm hearing this difference. :| anyway ...

I've been also adding several of AlexB's A5M mastering EQ ... Low shelf, and/or some mid-range bands as needed. This EQ is really proving to be an excellent tool. I can go subtle, like a 1/2db shelf at 200, and the foundation of the track gains this added/needed support. I can push the mid-ranges very hard without issue, even though I might end with 1.25dB of gain and bring that section more forward and clearer in the mix. On one track I had to place 4 A5M instances, and even keeping them all with full harmonic content, the track didn't seem to mind ;) I will still audition all 'clean' into the end instance with full harmonics just to be sure I'm keeping proper perspective. All I can say is I really liking this new release ! :mrgreen:

Next I've been testing the A5D on these tracks. Not so much for compression, but for the nice tone I hear from it ... it doesn't distract at all and just let the track sound more stable and again improve the foundational support [these demos need it], but it doesn't overwhelm the track with mud or boomyness.

I do have a question on this A5D :o

I have the DEMO preset along with the full library. I have not been able to match the demo preset exactly to any of the other presets :roll:

What I'm noticing is that I can get the demo to NOT show any gain reduction ... basically using it as a toning preamp, but the presets from the library all seem to do gain reduction :| I have threshold and ceiling set where they should be at their minimal activity ... but I still get gain reduction ... and I hear it :shock:

any ideas ? AlexB ? what I be doing wrong ?

thanks.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:59 am

The A5D... Love the way it hold things in place n the Tone is Great, so many tones with this... Great Job Alex!!! :D
dacaveprods

Postby russianpolecat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:13 pm

I have to say I concur with everything that's been said so far. I've demoed the A*I stuff, both EQ and compression and it sounds absolutely amazing :( (that's my wallet's expression by the way :)). Along with Tim's Gyrator EQ the V2 stuff is some of the closest I've heard to hardware so far. Unfortunately, I can't afford right now, just going to have to save up! :D. I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to the N**e stuff based on this! Given that Alex has sampled the A*I 525 as a new library, I'm also thinking he's going to sample the 2254 on the 8014 desk and include that too!
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 am

I just starting mastering for a project that is a church pipe organ recorded with a portable [handheld] digital recorder [fortunately, 24-bit] 8-)

Recorded live in the church, the pipe organ 'pipes' more or less wrap around the entire interior. The church is maybe 100+ years old [?]. The pipe organ looks as if it was built into the original structure.

There was plenty of spectral editing [izotope-RX] needed to remove noises like random clicks [from somewhere], and rumbling from outside traffic. RX is an essential tool, particularly for restoration work, but also for any live on location recording. thank-you! :lol:

The recorder was placed in the center of aile of the emptied church, near the front rows [front half of church]. It looks like some 40+ feet from the main alter where the main keyboard console is located. Appearently minimal sound checking due to time scheduales.

With no 'audiance', the resonants of the organ is all over the place, which required quite a few EQ 'corrections' to tame it down. DMG Equilibrium took on that task.

Since the digital recorder [and its preamps] leave nothing of a pleasant character :roll: I could call on various NEBULA libraries to enhance the richness ... and I am ! :lol:

The 2 pieces recorded are diametrically opposed as to intensity ... however, we also have a source that can technically deliver a huge sound [pipes that extent to 30+ feet]. So there is the need to shape the envelope that allows subtle details [breathyness], along with a depth and power of the foundation octaves even when played softly.

EQ's from Nebula included Massive/Passive to the GREEN Acqua ... and more. It started all comming together, as I was now able to shake the room ... but it still had a haze and undefined bottom ... :|

THEN I remember the newly released A16. :o

I dropped in the A16 preamp with an ending A16 Modern BUSS that surrounded the EQs and stereo control [BrainWorks].

Adding another GREEN to the equation ... we starting getting the power and GROWL that would eminate from this massive array of pipes.

There is something special about how this entire library [A16, A5M, A5D] can define the bottom end of a mix, along with how the mid-range clears. I may call on the A5M EQ to see if this is needed.

What's strange is, I'd never thought the A*I for this type of source. Back in the daze, we'd track a rock band on it, then onto a N**e/S*L for mixing.

Have I mentioned how nice these new V2 libraries are :P
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

No one has said much about the pre amp presets for the console??

If I'm not mistaken, using my VAST knowledge (google) the pre amp in the desk (api212L) is pretty special...?

What do the testers think of it?? I would imagine with the new techniques Alex is employing that it sounds GREAT?

I cant wait for his pre-amp collections to get the update treatments but I imagine the console mic pre in this collection is a great preview, no? :P

I'm really interested in people who have tried it out (who am I kidding, like I'm not gonna end up buying it anyway!) but please do share....
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries