Login

Which "gear" for "old" british sound?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Which "gear" for "old" british sound?

Postby hwasser » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:55 pm

I've been working with a lot of SSL-nebula stuff lately and love it! <3 I even use it as routine for modern rock and metal stuff these days :lol: .

I've been working a lot with Indie-rock and Punk-rock lately and I wonder which kind of gear was used on these albums? (I don't mean their exact gear :lol: I mean which gear to point me in the right direction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpz_3O5Lho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6w8dulTQKE

I already have the proper amps and guitars and have gotten the perfect guitar sound. I wonder about the overall saturation though, because the bands I prefer in this genré have a HEAVILY saturated sound.

I know that inserting the right console-emulation won't magically make my music sound like that, but I just want something that will point me into the right direction (this kind of music is a new area for me). I already have Vintage Design preamps which helps me a bit in the right direction. :D
hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Which "gear" for "old" british sound?

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:25 pm

For Babyshambles you could contact these guys, you never know they may reply...
http://www.thedoghousestudio.co.uk/
They have a gear list but that well could of changed I guess.
And to add, it maybe worth finding out about the recording and mixing techniques that they employed including room treatment and mic placement etc, this will have a greater affect than any gear.

All the best,

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby hwasser » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:22 am

Thanks Tim! I'll do that! But I was more specifically interested in how they acquire the heavy saturation in this music! That's why I wonder about gear. :P
hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby kels » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 am

hi,
you can look at words like "germanium transistors", they are the key to this british distortion sound.

any guitar pedal, any eq, compressor or console based around germanium transistors seem to impart that british sound, unless one is no driving it.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 am

Maybe the BLUE-EQ (acqua) would be
Of interest
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35 pm

kels wrote:hi,
you can look at words like "germanium transistors", they are the key to this british distortion sound.

any guitar pedal, any eq, compressor or console based around germanium transistors seem to impart that british sound, unless one is no driving it.

Ah kels, Those germanuims! I wish to make a proper germanium line studio level overdrive one day. I have plenty of mullard 0c42's.

hwasser wrote:Thanks Tim! I'll do that! But I was more specifically interested in how they acquire the heavy saturation in this music! That's why I wonder about gear. :P

It's hard to say exactly where that saturation comes from.
Aquiring a saturation in nebula is harder to do. If you want that tape saturation sound you'll want to focus on increasing odd harmonic distortion primarily, possibly the same for the germanuim sound too.

A few names of very old british stuff would be Decca and E*I. Not super old would be N**e, audix, audix, calrec, cadac but the latter to are your more clean style.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby kels » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Ah kels, Those germanuims! I wish to make a proper germanium line studio level overdrive one day.

would you do so in Nebula, and knowing how you can keep the transients in your emulations, I would buy it immediately.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to 3rd party libraries