Login

Vintage Gyrator eq.

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEW RELEASE Vintage Gyrator eq.

Postby kels » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 am

Weird... I have never had a phase issue from doing this in Reaper.

depends on librairies ... some from CDS do that (GEQ+PEAK200a, i'm sure). I've emailed him longtime ago about it.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Hey guys, if you want to hear Gyrator in context, I did an interesting 1073 shootout here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/968414-ik-vmr-nebula-1073-mix-shootout.html and just added Tim's Gyrator to it. It isn't for a direct comparison to the other 73's of course, but just to hear it across several tracks in a mix I think helps to truly get what it can do. Such a robust beast this EQ 8-)
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Awesome,

I think it's safe to say it's tightness found in this eq vs a 73 is due to it being GYRATOR being class ab vs the 73 being class A. This some what explains also the tightness of the eq.

I'm going to do a 1073 someday, I've not sampled a class A unit yet.

Edit; on listen=dynamics retained!

Really interesting hearing it next to slate....
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:14 am

Then again I've been playing with a j37 and it's actually amazing tech for it's age. It's working like it did in the 60's now , rather than a worn out old machine. With old scotch tape you get that beatles abbey road sound because the headroom is awful. With good tape it's high quality recorder.

Well, maybe a little offtopic bit is regarding to j37 project by Tim..
Are you still thinking about doing it? We will have a nebula J37?
Of course it would be sooo cool.

Regarding to what you say about old scotch tape and its amazing beatles sound... Will you use that tape for it? It could be a super number one...
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi,

I still have the chance to do this j37.. Getting the right tape is the expensive part. I'm looking at around £150 a reel. I don't get to play with this machine much as it's not mine. It's basically all running now though.

Sorry for the wait on this one...
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for replying, Tim

So is it possible for you to do it?
I would love it... It is a serious money the tape, yes, you mean old scotch in order to get beatlesque sound wich may be the most interesting for this machine, isn't?

Well I am thinking about a kind of crowfunding to get the money for tape and your work and this way e could have that holy grial which is the J37.

What do you think?
From my point of view this is a great chance for nebula world, to have a j37 in our collection
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:47 pm

I like your idea however,

Recently I spent some money on having some test tones to vinyl for sampling. The last experiment worked but for me it was good enough for release. So, I guess what I'm saying is wouldn't go for this crowd funding option as couldn't 100% guarantee a end product, I know peoples expectations would be high from this classic machine. I will buy the tape when I have the funds available.

Interesting thing about this machine is it's a incredibly good medium. When running the best tape with good headroom it's actually a very subtle coloration. When adding up tracks you start to hear that coloration creeping in.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:48 am

I understand your point of view and I hope you can get it soon :)

Anyway I leave the crowd funding idea on the table, who knows?... maybe there are a few of us like me ready for do it even knowing there wouldn't be no 100% guarantee. I don´t think there are a lot of fine working J37 machines around and I don´t think there are a lot of great developers living close to one of them nowdays. Really it may be the first and only chance to get a Nebula J37 program and this implies to get the best J37 in digital domain...

Thanks anyway ;)
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby pleplo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 am

babiuk wrote:I understand your point of view and I hope you can get it soon :)

Anyway I leave the crowd funding idea on the table, who knows?... maybe there are a few of us like me ready for do it even knowing there wouldn't be no 100% guarantee. I don´t think there are a lot of fine working J37 machines around and I don´t think there are a lot of great developers living close to one of them nowdays. Really it may be the first and only chance to get a Nebula J37 program and this implies to get the best J37 in digital domain...

Thanks anyway ;)

Have you tried the Waves version? I think it's ok. I dont use it much. its like the Kramer Tape. more for effect.
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Mysterygrimms » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 am

Just bought this EQ. Currently mixing some projects. So I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Mysterygrimms
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries