Login

AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects: eQ & Dyn !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby kylen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Good point TM! I wasn't getting it till I pulled out VST analyzer and could see that higher Q values on the slider were giving me wider bandwidths. Seemed weird for a minute (semantics wise) but now I have a mental note, now back to the fine sound!

EDIT: @TM - I see what you mean Acqua Orange uses "bandwidth" on it's knob - I don't have that one, AlexB OReQ uses "Q" on the slider (which is apparantly upside down and must actually be bandwidth?).
kylen
Member
Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 am

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby kels » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:05 am

I´ve heard the differences, and for my tastes, ORbital is way better, great colour, more 3d, more analog...maybe others prefers orangeeq... but hey! it´s me!!! :P


thank you for that.
It's true that the demo sounds really impressive.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:43 am

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby giancarlo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:32 am

kylen wrote:Good point TM! I wasn't getting it till I pulled out VST analyzer and could see that higher Q values on the slider were giving me wider bandwidths. Seemed weird for a minute (semantics wise) but now I have a mental note, now back to the fine sound!

EDIT: @TM - I see what you mean Acqua Orange uses "bandwidth" on it's knob - I don't have that one, AlexB OReQ uses "Q" on the slider (which is apparantly upside down and must actually be bandwidth?).


when you build acqua you take in account different constraints, ie the plug-in should load quickly and sound good.
Orange will load around 4 times faster using the new multithreading engine.
About the sound quality, we are pretty sure they are similar: we used vovox cables and prism. For the sake of knowledge, we have also mytek in office now. For particular tasks I prefer mytek, for other ones I prefer prism.
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:50 am

The OReQ is simply amazing! Just heard it and I'd dare to say it's one of the most professionally sampled units from Alex. The sound is incredible. As expected, I compared this EQ to the OrangeEQ and they are VERY different. There's nothing between these two that you can relate as far as I can hear. The OReQ is way more focused, robust and has weight compared to the OrangeEQ. It has a modern sound but with that weight I love from old gear. Acquas have many advantages over libraries but I think the differences here "weight" more for me to use it in my projects. I wish Alex made the OrangeEQ now that I hear this.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby giancarlo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:04 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:The OReQ is simply amazing! Just heard it and I'd dare to say it's one of the most professionally sampled units from Alex. The sound is incredible. As expected, I compared this EQ to the OrangeEQ and they are VERY different. There's nothing between these two that you can relate as far as I can hear. The OReQ is way more focused, robust and has weight compared to the OrangeEQ. It has a modern sound but with that weight I love from old gear. Acquas have many advantages over libraries but I think the differences here "weight" more for me to use it in my projects. I wish Alex made the OrangeEQ now that I hear this.


sure we are speaking about the same device? we own the hardware unit and orange sounds pretty the same as hardware. Unless you add something else in the chain it can't be "very different", otherwise it would be "very different" from our device - which is not a professional unit, it costs few bucks, 300-600 eur used, and it sounds exactly like orange
There are no tricks, we sampled stepped positions (so no interpolation), the only thing missing is the preamp section like we did in magenta, and we limited kernels to 3 - but no one would stop us to release an higher load cpu version with more harmonics
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:17 am

giancarlo wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:The OReQ is simply amazing! Just heard it and I'd dare to say it's one of the most professionally sampled units from Alex. The sound is incredible. As expected, I compared this EQ to the OrangeEQ and they are VERY different. There's nothing between these two that you can relate as far as I can hear. The OReQ is way more focused, robust and has weight compared to the OrangeEQ. It has a modern sound but with that weight I love from old gear. Acquas have many advantages over libraries but I think the differences here "weight" more for me to use it in my projects. I wish Alex made the OrangeEQ now that I hear this.


sure we are speaking about the same device? we own the hardware unit and orange sounds pretty the same as hardware. Unless you add something else in the chain it can't be "very different", otherwise it would be "very different" from our device - which is not a professional unit, it costs few bucks, 300-600 eur used, and it sounds exactly like orange
There are no tricks, we sampled stepped positions (so no interpolation), the only thing missing is the preamp section like we did in magenta, and we limited kernels to 3 - but no one would stop us to release an higher load cpu version with more harmonics


Then maybe it's the preamp section that's missing in Orange? I'm not sure if Alex added this but I can tell you the sound is very different. In fact, there are a few discrepancies if you look at them in VSTAnalyzer. Bells are different and there's a high end rolloff in Orange that's not present in OReQ at 96kHz which may contribute a bit to this difference in sound. Also, harmonic content is different (maybe it's due to the lack of the preamp section? Or maybe the amount of kernels used in Orange? I'm not in the studio right now so I can't check the amount of kernels in OReQ).
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby giancarlo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:10 pm

there can't be a preamp section in a single nebula program.
Also bells, they can't be different if we are speaking about the same hardware.
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby vicnestE » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:50 am

ORbital Dynamics is a must have, it could fatten the sound musically from thinner voice/instruments.
I could get flexible results using it as a parallel compressor when the low end boost is too much.

Love the quality on the EQ sampling too. Deep, punchy and 3D.
User avatar
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby pleplo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:19 am

I agree. EQ sound very 3D and nice for mid boost :)
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
User avatar
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Montréal, Canada

Re: AlexB - Happy Halloween Release: ORbital Objects !

Postby AlexB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:10 am

I don'w know why I haven't received the allert by the forum for this topic, so I'll try to reply now.

About the line amp, it is " in line" with the eQ circuit , so it has been sampled as usual as for all sampled hardware at unity gain, i.e. 0dB.

The unit - O***n 672A - was in perfect working condition (as usual I refurbish the hardware before to start sampling) and it has been sampled, last year, in the right way thanks to dedicated system-converters, high quality cables, perfectly clean and in-phase AC supply and wiring of the studio, and my proprietary sampling technique. Honestly I can't claim that the library sounds exactly like the hardware BUT surely it sounds very close with the same color, depth, vibe and the same harmonic contents, frequency and phase response. You can see even this coherence between the 44.1Khz and 96kHz version of the library with an analyzer . No strange roll-off, phase issues or lower THD by poor sampling technique, weird SRC (which I don't use) and cheap converters...

About the converters. A good converter should be transparent like a wire. Commercial converters aren't transparent, every one have a characteristic sound. I have worked with a lot of them and I dislike the converters which alter the sound.
Prism thin the sound and narrow the stereo image, Apogee muddy up the sound in the low mid, Lavry makes harsh the high mid, Weiss has an unfocused low mid, Mytek has some - nice - color on the mid. RME and Lynx seem congested and plastic... And so on. All them leave a footprint on the sample. For this reason I have built my system-converters which together at my technique give THAT authentic sound. 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rafaelcerrato and 3 guests