Login

MBC and vbeq updates

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

MBC and vbeq updates

Postby tyrrell » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Just wondering if Alexb has a time frame on when these might be redone. I can imagine with everything going on right now it might not be a big priority but and time frame would help me on advancing some mixes and buying new plugins.
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Re: MBC and vbeq updates

Postby hwasser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm

I actually didnt like the Modern Black Console that much, I didn't like the 550a or b either .. and I didnt like any of the 512c-preamps I've tried .. and not even the Waves A*I 2500 .. and I don't like the sound of most album engineered on an API-console! :lol:

So my guess is that I don't seem to like the API-sound that much :oops:, except the A*I 5500 which is pretty nice on rock/metal guitars.

It sounds like A*I does something to the mids that I don't like.
hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby beingmf3 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:38 am

Definitely it "does something to the mids" :) Just this week we thought of using a pair of A*I 512's for printing the stereo mix (we went through V72's, a C******r or just the Studer console the days before).
The A*I's were awful - there was so little information in the mids that the pretty mellow mix from the Studer sounded kind of uneasy, fidgety, unpleasant. Top end and sub bass was stellar though :lol:

So if you want the A*I colour (come on, classic Stevie Wonder "sounds A*I"!), you have to "mix into" the console, it wouldn't make sense to impart the colour in the end when everything's mixed cleanly in the box.

(on a side note: we had the funniest "effect" while trying out a pair of V72's for the mixdown. The snare was GONE. Strange but true. I went back to my studio and sent that same mix through Henry's V72 stereo program: same effect. Oops.)
beingmf3

Postby cehas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Funny thing, I love the N**e stuff and use it mostly, but I simply love the 2500 on drums.. at least the Gemini version adds good bottom to the snare. I actually think it's one of the best compressors for Nebula..

The 512 was also my favorite pre on drums when I just had the commercial libraries.. it's also one of the most recommended units for drums on Gearslutz. The 550 also sounds great although I don't use it much. The console is ALSO very good sounding IMO.

Are you guys sure you're not doing something wrong..? :D
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby beingmf3 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:23 pm

That's the A*I magic - you record punchy and clean signals, but we know really many studios that bought a 16/4 A*I console just for recording. They mix it on a different console afterwards.
beingmf3

Postby kels » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 pm

They mix it on a different console afterwards.

yeah, strong personality gear-console cannot be used twice on the same record. If one have the opportunity, recording a band live with A*I or N**e then mixing itb is the place where digital really shines.

air of V72's for the mixdown. The snare was GONE. Strange but true

my V74's do the same funny thing on an already smiley curved mix.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby beingmf3 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:04 am

kels wrote:
pair of V72's for the mixdown. The snare was GONE. Strange but true

my V74's do the same funny thing on an already smiley curved mix.

WTF? :) And even funnier - especially that mix I mentioned was far from being smiley EQ'd :o
beingmf3

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:11 pm

All A*I libraries will be updated/upgraded into December 2014. The sound will be A LOT better ...
Clearly, if you like THAT sound. 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 pm

upgraded vbc and clc... I'd happily fork over an upgrade cost, without question :P.
jorismak

Postby tyrrell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks for the reply. You forgot to complain about the sound of the brand now we are off topic!
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries