Login

searching a limiter

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

searching a limiter

Postby flipnaut » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:35 pm

Hey

Im searching a limiter for the master section... a sort of thing similar to the limiter no6 which i use at the moment. It is a Freeware vst and i hope that there es something better in the nebula world? Any ideas? It should be a sort of brickwall limiter.
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Re: searching a limiter

Postby Support » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:13 am

Hey thank you,

i checked out the demo version of the complex limiter but it did'nt remove the peaks as i wanted. The U76 was a bit better i think... but also did not remove the peaks while hitting it hard and it got extrem pumpy. Will the tool work if i would buy it for the full version?
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Re: VST & AU complete updater to vers 1.3.763

Postby mathias » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 am

use a normal high quality limiterplugin. nebula is not meant to do that.

shape your sound with nebula as you desire and then place a secure and transparent limiter at the end in the master bus, to catch any overs, that might still be there and get the loudness you are after. when you drive the limiter hard, the sound will sure change and you may have to change your mix, if you don't like what you hear.
a cheap highquality limiter is available at toneboosters for example:
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-barricade/
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Re: VST & AU complete updater to vers 1.3.763

Postby mathias » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 am

it may though in the future ... 8-)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 am

flipnaut wrote:Hey thank you,

i checked out the demo version of the complex limiter but it did'nt remove the peaks as i wanted. The U76 was a bit better i think... but also did not remove the peaks while hitting it hard and it got extrem pumpy. Will the tool work if i would buy it for the full version?

C*mpex I believe is around 250 micro seconds at fast speeds but that's for the compressor section. This means some very fast pulse can be still let through. The limiter in the full pack is faster.
1176 are around 50 micro seconds attack, again visually this will still let transient through but at these speeds will be very high frequency and possibly not so audible. If your buffer is to small the ahead parameter will not work correctly ...there will also be a revised version of the u76 so we don't use the ahead parameter anymore.

Send me your file and results ;-) , and can give you a guide, even make customised versions that go beyond hard ware.
It's possible to tune nebula to extreme speeds now , without mods, so it still maybe possible to get what your after.

I'm away recapping a huge console this week. So will not be on the forum so much but send me a email if you wish
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hey,

thank you for all the replies. I supposed already that nebula could not be fast enough. But soundwise it could be much better to put a nebula limiter onto the mastering stage. I heard some great results or it was just a feeling while the demo version was just there to kill gentle like some transients.

I had to put the limiter no6 onto the chain to stop the further peaks which came through.

i think that a nebula brickwall limiter would make sense soundwise onto the mastering stage. And behind that a sort of freeware limiter - yes i think it is okay.

Funny because i bought toneboosters before some years and thought already abaout to jump back to the good old barricade. It is simple. But the freeware no6 can get louder with its clipping stage.

back to nebula:
While Compressors are getting faster in Nebula (i read this in some threads) it would be of course phenomenal also to get a very fast limiter in some months :)
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 pm

flipnaut wrote:Hey,

thank you for all the replies. I supposed already that nebula could not be fast enough. But soundwise it could be much better to put a nebula limiter onto the mastering stage. I heard some great results or it was just a feeling while the demo version was just there to kill gentle like some transients.

I had to put the limiter no6 onto the chain to stop the further peaks which came through.

i think that a nebula brickwall limiter would make sense soundwise onto the mastering stage. And behind that a sort of freeware limiter - yes i think it is okay.

Funny because i bought toneboosters before some years and thought already abaout to jump back to the good old barricade. It is simple. But the freeware no6 can get louder with its clipping stage.

back to nebula:
While Compressors are getting faster in Nebula (i read this in some threads) it would be of course phenomenal also to get a very fast limiter in some months :)

Come our HQ in Lodi, you can demo coming compressor release in Acqua Effect but only compatible with Nebula4.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries