Login

G2500 - can't make it happen

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

G2500 - can't make it happen

Postby bryan7nebula » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 pm

I purchased the G2500 a few weeks or months back, and now I am trying to put together a full A*I mixing environment (ITB). Here's the problem. I can't get the G2500 to really work. Here's what happened:

I put up an algo version on the drum bus and get it where I want it. Great. Now I load up the G2500, try to make some sense of the hundreds of preset options, pick one that I think makes sense, and then try to match. Nope. Not even close. Pick another and another. Nope and nope. An hour might pass and nope. Can't make it happen no matter how I spin the dials.

Then I drop one of Tim's compressor or the new Denmark Blue CL1B on the track, and a minute or two later. Got it. Near perfect match that surpasses the algo's quality.

I know this board is sensitive to criticism, but is the G2500 really useful for rock drums? The A*I is known for that, so I was expecting G2500 to really pull it off.

If someone has real experience/advice with this library, I would love to hear it. Please don't tell me that "it's awesome" or "amazing". I need real practical suggestions, or I'm just going to assume it isn't ideal for rock drums and move on from it.

Thanks.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Re: G2500 - can't make it happen

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:54 pm

compressor libraries are sampled correctly but most of them are based on a 'default' and 'old' method. They are not fast enough, for example, or you get nasty digital noises when you process audio source with a lot of low content. Tim was clever enough to tune its own libraries using same new techniques (ie increasing the speed of program rate)
Soon we'll post first acqua compressors based on a whole set of new techniques, results are really good and compressors are fast and accurate.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: VST & AU complete updater to vers 1.3.763

Postby mathias » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:29 am

i think you should talk to the developer directly for tips and insights.
it is his creation and maybe he can point you to some usage, that might be more spot on.
there are so many compressor librarys out there with different concepts ...
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby bryan7nebula » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:40 am

Good to hear. I eagerly await snappier compressors. I will be sure to pick up an acqua or two more when that happens. I hope you do an A*I or something like it.

I also hope that the old libraries can be updated to work more accurately. I know the developers put a lot of work into them (and many of them work pretty good already).

Thanks.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby bryan7nebula » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:41 am

Mathias,

The developer is one route, and I do talk to developers (reached out to Ownhammer this morning). But sometimes I like to talk to the community, too. The more perspectives the better. Thanks for your input, though.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby SWANG » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 am

something that has actually worked for me in the past is rendering several instances of the compressor preset (adjusting the individual parameters when necessary or available). although it is not an intuitive method, it has worked for me with some libraries.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jorismak » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm

G2500 is Gemini's Audio one right? In all honesty, that should be able to be snappy, he always makes special version for use with low-prog rate instances to get the compressors to react faster than the default ones.

I'm getting his 1176 to be darn near close and as fast as some algo plugs (with a lot of trial and error to be honest).

If you're really compressing hard, multiple instances who compress a little are most often the way to go. Since compressors are 'sampled' it only can react as deep as the sampling, if you want more, you have to apply multiple instances.

Since the G2500 (looking at the Waves algo plug) has options for knee type and being feedforward or feedback you will get a lot of presets indeed :).
jorismak

Postby SWANG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

jorismak wrote:
I'm getting his 1176 to be darn near close and as fast as some algo plugs

same here...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Gemini Audio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 am

The G2500 library was designed to work with slower PCs too. In order to get the best compression behavior, please always use "NC" programs.

Please follow the first two steps on page 4 of the user manual and use a "NC" program from the 1 Kernel compressor category. Also make sure you have installed the dictionaries file as described on page 3 (4. Installation) in order to get full description of each category in the browser. This way you should be able to quickly find for example a feedback compression program.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to 3rd party libraries