great thread, thanks for the helpful and interesting thread
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Using Nebula with amp simulator software

Postby fr3udes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 am

1.000.000 kudos for emilieitor.

Thread of the month, for sure. Should be sticky, also.
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby xtp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 pm

I still use the cabs made by AE back in 2009.

I prefer to use actual hardware effects, but that is probably because I build and design them for a hobby. It means I have complete control over the components used in their design.

It was actually using Nebula when it first came out, that inspired me to learn about designing my own effects.

In my real world signal chain, I also have a hardware version of the cab I am using AE's cabs to simulate.

My amp has a line out that I plug directly into my sound card. I use a Acoustic Image amp which gives a very clean signal.

my signal chain is basically

guitar->preamp->effects chain->guitar amp-> sound card->Nebula Cabs

It is my low voltage, low volume solution to the home recording of a guitar.
xtp
User Level I
User Level I

Postby botus99 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm

xtp wrote:my signal chain is basically

guitar->preamp->effects chain->guitar amp-> sound card->Nebula Cabs

When I'm writing/recording a demo of a new song, I do the same thing. It gets VERY good results!

The only difference is that I typically use the cabs that I've sampled myself, but AE's are also very good! Haven't tried Evolution's cabinets yet...
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby starfugger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:21 am

ok i read through this thread and still a bit confused because i thought all i needed was this:

the amp head

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... x&cPath=87

and this:

the cab
http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... cts_id=112

OR THIS COLLECTION:
http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... cts_id=122
which already has the power amp and cab IR's.

Do i need to still plug in a preamp section (i.e. CDS VTC) before the power amp?

my goal is to have an algo-less, straight neb amp simulator. i have listened to AXE FX demos of ownhammer cabs on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O474OFLGufg

and i must say i was blown away. I WONDER IF I CAN GET THESE SOUNDS USING NEB ONLY.

Ok, just to be clear, i am not a guitar player. i mix music for a living, and my goal is to "reamp" ITB crappy ampsim tracks. so i get the raw (absolutely clean, uneffected) guitar tracks, and run them through a better chain (with the guitar player's blessing of course). i understand there is a limited selection of power amps and cabs for nebula, but a lot of times, what holds back a mix is that amp sim track that is begging for something, anything. :D
Mac Pro OSX 10.9.3
8-core, stock 6GB memory
Cubase 7.5 64-bit
Nebula 3 Server
starfugger
User Level II
User Level II

Postby marcpl » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:20 am

I think you're a little confused about power amps and amp heads. a power amp feeds an amp head so you would have:

power amp => amp head => cabinet

if you're in need of an amp sim I highly recommend scuffham s-gear. best I've used by a mile.

if you do hi-gain/metal I recommend audio assault's grindmachine. best hi-gain sim I've used and very affordable. I play a lot of djent 7 and 8 string stuff.

I generally use something like this:

OH power amps => s-gear(with cabinet off) => nebula cabinet.

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby starfugger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 am

thanks for this Marco :) now it's clearer. i've had experience micing combo's and head+cab configurations but i gotta admit, my only experience with preamp+power amp+eq+etc+etc is through positive grid's BIAS.
Mac Pro OSX 10.9.3
8-core, stock 6GB memory
Cubase 7.5 64-bit
Nebula 3 Server
starfugger
User Level II
User Level II

Postby darkskar » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:30 pm

marcpl wrote:power amp => amp head => cabinet

I think you're wrong, this is the signal chain:
Pre Amp => Power Amp => Cabinet

The Amp is always before the power amp.
In fact it´s called preamp for that reason and the pedals are placed between the Preamp and the power amp.

darkskar
User Level III
User Level III

Postby jorismak » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:38 pm

an amp-head consists of a preamp + poweramp. Then there is the cabinet afterwards.

Poweramp + cabinet alone will not give you much tone, _most_ (if these days not all) the tone of an amp is in the preamp.

Also, to capture a cabinet, it has to go through _some sort_ of poweramp, otherwise there would be no sound from the speakers :P.

The poweramp(s) Ownhammer uses while capturing _cabinets_, is a very clean neutral poweramp that does as little as possible. Don't ever think 'the poweramp is included' in a cab-IR, it doesn't work like that.

As stated (in this thread? Or was it another) a basic signal chain is your guitar into a guitar-preamp into a guitar-poweramp into a cabinet that is mic'd up.

Ownhammer does not do amp-sims (I've seen some people think he does, but no) or captures of any kind. He has some 'channel colors' (see it as a mic preamp and / or console strip capture), he has poweramp captures (which don't really add poweramp distortion but have some of the high-end-frequency control a poweramp gives, plus the resonance/presence/tone controls most modern poweramps have).
The few pedals he captured are also of minimal distortion and primarily the EQ curve (to get an amp(sim) to clean up the lowend without affecting the rest of the tone too much).

So if you want to go completely algo-less, pure Nebula only, you get things like the stock amp-captures and the amp captures that Henry Olonga did. I think these captures are preamp-poweramp-cabinet-mic all in one, captured in one go, but I have no clue (I never used them).

What Ownhammer does himself is use a real tube preamp (modified MTS modules at some time even :)) into his poweramp captures into his cabinet captures.

Remember, a real amp-head is a preamp + poweramp (in that order).
jorismak

Postby starfugger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 pm

jorismak wrote:an amp-head consists of a preamp + poweramp. Then there is the cabinet afterwards.

Poweramp + cabinet alone will not give you much tone, _most_ (if these days not all) the tone of an amp is in the preamp.

Also, to capture a cabinet, it has to go through _some sort_ of poweramp, otherwise there would be no sound from the speakers :P.

The poweramp(s) Ownhammer uses while capturing _cabinets_, is a very clean neutral poweramp that does as little as possible. Don't ever think 'the poweramp is included' in a cab-IR, it doesn't work like that.

As stated (in this thread? Or was it another) a basic signal chain is your guitar into a guitar-preamp into a guitar-poweramp into a cabinet that is mic'd up.

Ownhammer does not do amp-sims (I've seen some people think he does, but no) or captures of any kind. He has some 'channel colors' (see it as a mic preamp and / or console strip capture), he has poweramp captures (which don't really add poweramp distortion but have some of the high-end-frequency control a poweramp gives, plus the resonance/presence/tone controls most modern poweramps have).
The few pedals he captured are also of minimal distortion and primarily the EQ curve (to get an amp(sim) to clean up the lowend without affecting the rest of the tone too much).

So if you want to go completely algo-less, pure Nebula only, you get things like the stock amp-captures and the amp captures that Henry Olonga did. I think these captures are preamp-poweramp-cabinet-mic all in one, captured in one go, but I have no clue (I never used them).

What Ownhammer does himself is use a real tube preamp (modified MTS modules at some time even :)) into his poweramp captures into his cabinet captures.

Remember, a real amp-head is a preamp + poweramp (in that order).

thank you! i had a sneaky feeling i still had to stick an algo amp there if i were to use ownhammer stuff. ok the head config is now clear to me, more or less (never really bothered to take my old amps apart). personally i am very impressed by the axefx + ownhammer combination on the youtube vid i posted.
Mac Pro OSX 10.9.3
8-core, stock 6GB memory
Cubase 7.5 64-bit
Nebula 3 Server
starfugger
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries