Login

Denmark Blue CL1B Compressor Now Released from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Denmark Blue CL1B Compressor Now Released from CDS !!!

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:15 pm

with all due respect ...

the issue I find is the SR conversion time.

I work mainly at 44.1k ... loading presets that convert to this is a majoy issue to my workflow ... fully taking into account a Nebula based system.

Actually ... I would glady RE-purchase many libraries again [GML, Songtec, etc] ... if they were released as 44.1k .

Switching between presets that must be converted takes time [i understand this]. This is a factor I consider before purchase.

200+ presets ... oh my. I've no doubt to the quality of the library ... I just don't think I can work from the 96k conversion process.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 am

Hi RJ,

I understand and appreciate your point.
Let me share though, with EQ like Songtec, you are dealing with a longer conversion because of the sheer number of gain settings for each portion of the program. With the 221 programs in CL1B Compressor- it takes about 2 seconds max to load a 96kHz at 44.1kHz on my very-behind-the-times dual core. With EQ- you can load what you know you are going to use and keep it there to tune in and out until perfect, so a longer load might make some sense, but I would never expect someone to wait a long time for each preset for a comp collection- it can load very quickly in conversion.

Another thing I recommend is placing single load items on a buss group and set to bypass- then it is converted and ready for action when needed. You can definitely find favorite settings that you will use the most often. For example, when I want the sound of compression- I like obvious settings like a 10ms/100ms or 20ms/100ms. I don't often need a 1 second release time, so placing that fav setting in a DAW preset to load when needed is intuitive and takes seconds.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful and appreciate your input.
RJHollins wrote:with all due respect ...

the issue I find is the SR conversion time.

I work mainly at 44.1k ... loading presets that convert to this is a majoy issue to my workflow ... fully taking into account a Nebula based system.

Actually ... I would glady RE-purchase many libraries again [GML, Songtec, etc] ... if they were released as 44.1k .

Switching between presets that must be converted takes time [i understand this]. This is a factor I consider before purchase.

200+ presets ... oh my. I've no doubt to the quality of the library ... I just don't think I can work from the 96k conversion process.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby myimo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 am

"For my work, CDSM libraries are indispensable and I would never consider letting Michael's choices about how he packages these influence me stop using them."
I totally agree RJ.
My following comment has nothing to do with downsampling times but earlier in the thread some one mentioned they felt there were too many programs with each variation being available. I think this is excellent and this is one of the things that makes the product top quality.
Most people into Nebula want the sound as real as possible. Nebula involves a little basic organization which pays off big time with the end results.
If any one ever has trouble with getting a starting point there are threads on Gearslutz where people share their settings for different hardware.
Heres a quick cut and paste from one such thread.
T**e-T**h CL 1B Compressor settings for vocals.
Owned one for over 10 years. Here's where I start, at least for vocals.
Gain: 0
Ratio: 10 o'clock
Threshold: Program and level dependent, but I usually start at 0 (9:15 o'c)
Attack: 10 o'c
Release: 11 o'c
A/R Select: manual

To me the most important thing with CL1B's is don't slam it. 4 - 5db in the hot spots and it'll sound like a record! Great comp!

Typical starting point for me when tracking

in: "in"
gain: 11 o click
Ratio: Noon
Theres: -10, dependent on how much signal is going into the unit
Meter: compression
Attack: 1 o clock
Release: 11 o click
Att/Releas: fix./man.
SC link: off, or left+right in the plug in version if comping itb
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you so much for that advice- excellent input.
I definitely think the use of 'saveas' when you find sweet spot settings for your own work can be a huge benefit. But, the size of organization feels big- use the DAW's preset settings instead and load it in context.
Also- use the track meter, bus meter, and main out meters for general levels. Brings things together quickly.
Thanks myimo
myimo wrote:"For my work, CDSM libraries are indispensable and I would never consider letting Michael's choices about how he packages these influence me stop using them."
I totally agree RJ.
My following comment has nothing to do with downsampling times but earlier in the thread some one mentioned they felt there were too many programs with each variation being available. I think this is excellent and this is one of the things that makes the product top quality.
Most people into Nebula want the sound as real as possible. Nebula involves a little basic organization which pays off big time with the end results.
If any one ever has trouble with getting a starting point there are threads on Gearslutz where people share their settings for different hardware.

To me the most important thing with CL1B's is don't slam it. 4 - 5db in the hot spots and it'll sound like a record! Great comp!

Last edited by cdsoundmaster on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 am

myimo wrote:"For my work, CDSM libraries are indispensable and I would never consider letting Michael's choices about how he packages these influence me stop using them."
I totally agree RJ.

lol...great post. That was me you quoted though.... I'm flattered.... :lol:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

This is also an awesome thread for me to remind people that Zabukowski's Nebula Setups program is a HUGE time-saver for times like this. I have a specific Nebula dll that is scanning for and loading ONLY the CL1B library, so load times to the bare "init" screen are under a second, and maybe a second or two to load a preset. And with nebula Setups, you can even assign a specific preset to load as a default, so no "init" screen at all!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby deehope » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 pm

I totally agree RJ.

Have you actually monitored/tracked through this library? I was under the impression that there was to much delay in nebula to track/monitor through any of the libraries. Is there anyone doing that with this or any of the libraries? That would be awesome if possible
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm

I always monitor through Nebula during the mixing phase, but never while tracking.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ianc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 am

still can't find this on the cdsm site anyone got a link if its there
would love to know the price too and I guess michael didn't get my mail come through
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SWANG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 am

ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries