Login

Denmark Blue CL1B Compressor Now Released from CDS !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Denmark Blue CL1B Compressor Now Released from CDS !!!

Postby Jordi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I think the workflow is so much easier. Although I think the problem is in displaying the amount of reduction of the compressor, and that there is no such parameter nebula.
Jordi
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby richie43 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I noticed that in this library only. All of my other Nebula compressors do have a working reduction "meter" or display. But call me weird (it wouldn't be the first time), but I am liking the fact that I am only using my ears with this.... I used to be good at that and I am happy to reorient my ears like this!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ludrog » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Just tried it out and i LOVE it.It sounds great on a variety of sources.However, i must disagree about the naming technique of the programs.It is time consuming to try to figure out what they stand for, and time is a thing we all lack the most.I guess what i am trying to say is that this compressor would have a better use in a plugin format.Like this most of the time i get confused over the names and their meaning and have to refer to the manual all the time.Once again, i think it sounds GREAT but i think that it should have been a little simplified.If Michael releases this as a plugin i would buy it again for sure.Cheers!
ludrog
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 pm

The name of the game for me is definitely - use your ears.
The character is so clear where the crossover of compression versus less, or no, compression. I don't like reliance on reduction metering because it is cumulative of the settings and not actual real world reduction. It can be misleading to give your eyes an indication of something that may not reflect the actual threshold depth or ratio amount. The more it is just "move slider and listen" the faster, more instinctive, and better sounding the choices become.

I truly hope NebPro users will take advantage of this tool- it would be hard to find much better in a single tube comp that handle so many tasks with such a real analog response.

Jordi wrote:I think the workflow is so much easier. Although I think the problem is in displaying the amount of reduction of the compressor, and that there is no such parameter nebula.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi there,
Thank you so much for the kind words and interest.
I will adapt to a plug-in in the near future along with many others.
I will say that the name learning curve is something that can be overcome in a very short time.
Working with the hardware- I spent a long time with an analog learning curve on this one as well!
I had to reference the manual for fixed-manual timing information and choices of operation, fixed mode same thing- so in some ways, learning the name and categories in NebPro as a list is easier than the traditional layout- the design of the device is visually more simple, but the options and what they actually do are extremely complex- took a lot of reference to make sure sound was doing what was expected.
Things like 'cln' for clean and 'man' for manual mode become instinctive. Naming scheme for programs in collection is universal, so once you know that 10ms100ms means 10ms attack 100ms release, you know it for every category every program. Once you know "MAN" means manual and "FIX" means fixed mode, it is actually quicker to click from a list than to adjust any knobs on a layout. The benefit of future gui will be the pretty pictures I think. Unless the user reads the manual for that one also, they won't really know what it is that fixed manual or others are supposed to do at that time.
I definitely know what you mean, though, and I hope it gets quick and easy for you, and the fun only increases with the experimentation and learning the sound.

ludrog wrote:Just tried it out and i LOVE it.It sounds great on a variety of sources.However, i must disagree about the naming technique of the programs.It is time consuming to try to figure out what they stand for, and time is a thing we all lack the most.I guess what i am trying to say is that this compressor would have a better use in a plugin format.Like this most of the time i get confused over the names and their meaning and have to refer to the manual all the time.Once again, i think it sounds GREAT but i think that it should have been a little simplified.If Michael releases this as a plugin i would buy it again for sure.Cheers!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby drecchiarex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 am

Any examples on this things bread and butter; vox and bass? Howz about some acoustic piano or Rhodes.

I've always liked those for opto examples. However, I certainly have found that all algo opto plugins absolutely eat #$&% when being put on drums, very much unlike the examples CDSM posted thus far.

So... who's got it?!?!?!?
drecchiarex
User Level III
User Level III

Postby kylen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 am

Here's a usage article that interested me:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... ering.html

I'm in, already got Michael's matched pre-amp :)
kylen

Postby bryan7nebula » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 am

Going to get this.

What volume level do you recommend hitting this compressor at? I usually work at -18. Any workflow recommendations?
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby bryan7nebula » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:09 am

Where is the matched pre-amp (which library)? I can't find it on his site.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Postby SWANG » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 am

edit: check the forum...
Last edited by SWANG on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries