Login

R2R & Tape Booster Plus Acqua VST's From CDSoundMaster!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: R2R & Tape Booster Plus Acqua VST's From CDSoundMaster!

Postby richie43 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:32 am

So here is my comparison for y'all. It is only a very simple one take of a classical guitar, so you don't get the layers and build-up of tape goodness. So the differences are small, but let's see if you can hear any differences at all. They were processed through Vintage Tube, Vintage Blue Console, Otari 30 499, 2 instances of TB+, back into VBC. Both have identical slight EQ on guitar, and in the master buss is VBC master out, and a Studer 30. The only uncontrollable variable is that the Nebula versions of TB+ have the db gain in the preset and the Aqua versions are adjustable with different starting points, so this will obviously affect the results. Also the Studer 30 instance in the Aqua version does not have the -db presets. I labelled these just 1 and 2 so as not to bias you (Oooh, a tape pun! :lol: ).

Dropbox link;

http://db.tt/ZdeeESis

Please excuse the semi-sloppy playing, this was a one take ordeal.... there are a few harsh attacks on that poor guitar. And you can hear me breathing through my nose..... how professional.... :roll:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks a lot Richie, appreciate it. I don't know which is which, but I like #2 more. Something I miss a bit with the R2R library is a certain "solidness" to the sound and #2 seems to have it a bit more.

I think using the r2r+tb and VTM (or compressor) it's quite possible to get "believable" distorted tape sound, but that's not what I'm looking for normally. What I like with tape is the sound you get before audible distortion starts. Transients are slightly compressed but actually seem to have more weight and everything sounds more "tangible" (rather then "smeared" or diffused). Anyways, I hope the R2R somehow improved in that direction.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:33 am

richie43 wrote:
faun2500 wrote:It's a money thing for me I'm afraid. I would love to have plug in versions of the tapes as I use them all the time but I cant buy something I have already! :(

I'm sure they sound great but I would be more interested in the tube booster for the vintage tube collection, have you tried that Richie?

I totally understand the money thing, I presently have what my wife calls "a halt on spending".... But, yes, I do have the tube-booster Nebula library. It is as cool as the tape booster, and as useful, just in a "tubey" way instead of tape. It is great alone, but really shines used with the Vintage Tube Collection, much like R2R&TB+ work well alone but even better together.... Ah, money.... who needs it? Oh yeah, WE DO!

Cool, I have and use VTC daily and really like it, often wish more distortion would come out of it so Im guessing I need to get that first. :)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Barendse » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:35 pm

yr wrote:Thanks a lot Richie, appreciate it. I don't know which is which, but I like #2 more. Something I miss a bit with the R2R library is a certain "solidness" to the sound and #2 seems to have it a bit more.

I think using the r2r+tb and VTM (or compressor) it's quite possible to get "believable" distorted tape sound, but that's not what I'm looking for normally. What I like with tape is the sound you get before audible distortion starts. Transients are slightly compressed but actually seem to have more weight and everything sounds more "tangible" (rather then "smeared" or diffused). Anyways, I hope the R2R somehow improved in that direction.

+1 on the solidness note. I switched over to the NAG tape programs from STN. To my ears they do have some solidness.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, for the sake of honesty, sample #2 was the Nebula libraries (#1-Aqua). So that test did not sell anyone on the Aqua. Hmmm. Maybe it has something to do with the different setting, or what the initial defaults are since I just loaded the same instances and same number of them in the same spots, but made no adjustments.
@Barendse: I love the Nag for mastering and 2buss stuff, for sure. But I still get alot of use from the CDSM tapes all over mixes. I find that the variety gives my work more lift.

@faun2500; I assume that by distortion you are referring to slight saturation...? I haven't liked the Neb version of what we guitarists call distortion, you know, DISTORTION. But for the digital realm, Nebula is light years ahead of anything else for analog harmonic distortion.

And maybe if I have time in the next few days, I'll set up a more complex A/B test for those presets, a project with more than 1 instrument! Because in my blind tests, as I said, I picked the Aqua mixes over the Neb mixes. Interesting. Maybe it's just another case of every artists ears hears audio differently.
richie43
Expert
Expert

OOPS!!

Postby richie43 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 am

My mistake everyone. The sample #2, which some said they felt had more "solidness", was indeed the Aqua version, NOT the Neb version. Sorry for the confusion. But that does coincide with my original feelings that the Aqua was sounding better to my ears! I will work up another example soon.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:47 pm

richie43 wrote:
@faun2500; I assume that by distortion you are referring to slight saturation...? I haven't liked the Neb version of what we guitarists call distortion, you know, DISTORTION. But for the digital realm, Nebula is light years ahead of anything else for analog harmonic distortion.

No not proper distortion, I have Devastor for that! :mrgreen:
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:15 pm

richie43 wrote:My mistake everyone. The sample #2, which some said they felt had more "solidness", was indeed the Aqua version, NOT the Neb version. Sorry for the confusion. But that does coincide with my original feelings that the Aqua was sounding better to my ears! I will work up another example soon.

If your hearing a difference it maybe worth asking what the program rate is in the acqua version and if there is a ahead time or not.
In general if you have a ahead time it can create distortions/aliasing .The same with faster program rate's.

Also maybe a change from rms 17 to evf 17? I don't know if that would make the presets sound better though!!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:50 am

timp wrote:If your hearing a difference it maybe worth asking what the program rate is in the acqua version and if there is a ahead time or not.
In general if you have a ahead time it can create distortions/aliasing .The same with faster program rate's.

Also maybe a change from rms 17 to evf 17? I don't know if that would make the presets sound better though!!

Good ideas timp. The program rates are the same between the 2 versions, and the Aqua does have what I found as an "ahead length", where the Neb has none. Maybe we are getting into depths of Nebula that I don't know as much about; I have learned many tweaks but am not familiar with what these do.... But maybe you are right. Maybe it is what is referred to as "6 of one and half a dozen of another....". Ya know?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:38 am

pretty hard to ignore actually! :roll:
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries