Login

AlexB - Modern Flagship Dynamics : RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Dynamics : RELEASED !

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:35 am

2nd try ...

Working on a mastering session of a Big Band recording, and was auditioning several compressor/limiters. Added the MFD DEMO into the mix, along with the KULT, 660-DEMO, and the GMD.

I didn't try to duplicate settings between them ... just testing each one individually.

For this project, I didn't need much in the way of dynamics control ... Nebula showed about 1/2dB to 1dB of reduction at times.

Auditioning each was very interesting. Since the MFD and 660 were demos, I had limited ratios available.

Regardless ... I liked what I heard from this MFD.

Quickly noticed how nice the foundation of the track solidified. Also ... the midrange set itself nicely into the mix with some additional depth. There was also the pleasant 3d of the entire soundstage.

Again, with the 3:1 demo limit, I was using 5-6 ms ATT with a 35-45 RLS [approx].

Comparing this to the GMD was kind of unfair. :shock: I have an NVC-GMD controller that allows me to switch to any RATIO while maintaining all the ATT/RLS Threshold, etc settings as I switch ratios ... really nice feature :mrgreen: So basically I can dial in the GMD fast and accurate.

Sonically ... just as with the MFConsole and the MFeQ ... there is something special in the way it handles sound ... almost effortlessly.

There is no way to leave this out of the TRIO ... so my purchase request is in. I NEED the other RATIOS !! :lol:

Obviously more testing to do ... but the little I've done has shown Big and Beautiful [of course, the Big Band is playing some beautiful stuff !!} :D

until later ...

BTW ... a demo of the NVC-GMD is on my site. It needs only 1 Nebula for full access to all presets and functions. Check it out if you like.

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 am

Sounds incredibly fat and detailed, AAMOF, possibly the best sounding compressor I've heard yet.

Requested a discount, will purchase as soon as I get the link/code :D
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 pm

At last! I've waited with excitement for this. I will of course buy immediately, at this price it's a no-brainer 8-)

And please people: don't feed the trolls who try to divert the thread topic...

Thanks again Alex for releasing all these great libraries!
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Support » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Kinda weird reply to be honest. Not asking for your NAT secrets, just asking if it sounds good because of advances in the Nebula engine or just because the unit doesn't need all kind of tricks...Or something else...

Gear* -> cables* -> level and impedance matching (1) -> AD (2) -> NAT*

* Things that did not change to much...
(1) AlexB Black Magic
(2) AD there are several brands that are testing new AD/DA technologies. Example: http://www.weiss.ch/products/dac1

Asking for clarification about some parts of your product seems like a normal thing to do, and I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret buying stuff if I'm hitting it's limits in due time or something.

I big part of the correct sampling process is to make a sampling plan, you need a lot of hours for testing the correct settings before go to the "alpha" sampling

PS: Acustica Audio is officially working in get better compression behavior from version 1.3.743. We will beta test this new feature ASAP before release to customers.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:14 pm

No clue what that post was supposed to answer Enrique / 'support'.

Only the last line says something about compression behaviour, and doesn't answer any of the questions.
jorismak
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:38 am

Got the full MFD package tonite.

For my line of work, I think this is one of the top Nebula libraries available ... well, it is right there with the MFC and MFeQ. :D

Beside the excellent sonics of this unit ... the way this library has been design [by AlexB] is remarkable ! :shock:

What do I mean?

The entire unit is contained in a single preset :o
[well, ok ... the soft knee in one, the hard knee in another] ... but every ratio is selectable in a single preset, rather than separate presets for defined ratio. This is major user friendly ... love it ! 8-)

Using the Big Band track to audition, I was working with a 1.75 ratio with a 6+ ATK and a .28 RLS. The threshold was a bit higher than I expected, at about -4 to -6 ... not critical settings at this point just listening.

Interesting what this unit does to a track ... hard to describe [in words] ... the entire base foundation just comes up and solidifies ... with no mud. The middle range sets itself with depth and space [not flat in in my face irritation ... no, its made the track sound like I was in the room it was recorded with depth and perspective ... natural 3D.

Again ... tough to describe.

I didn't try to do any crushing experiments ... although, sliding to higher ratios and dropping the threshold showed this unit can do something serious ... more important, it was much easier to drive it this way in order to get the ATK and RLS timing adjusted ... then ease up the ratio and threshold to compliment the track.

I should mention that this mastering test also had the MFC console INPUT and BUS in the chain. The EQ being used is one of my ALGO plugs that I use to sketch out settings quickly. This EQ is rather sterile [or character-less], so it lets me fix problems first so that I can evaluate things like consoles, preamps, tapes, etc ... then I can think about what Nebula EQ might best be called on. But I have to say, even with the ALGO EQ ... feeding the MFC and now with the MFD this track already is sounding mighty fine :lol:

Just a quick report back ... play a gig tonite, so will come back to this tomorrow with fresh ear [and hopefully brain] and see what we have going.

Anyway ... I don't know what details of what AlexB has done creating the MFC, MFeQ, and MFD trio ... but it is stellar.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:45 am

Yeah, just to be clear. I love Alex's stuff. I'm skeptical about Nebula compressor in general (but boy please prove me wrong and I'm all over it) but MFeQ was an insta buy for me and I still find it 'special' what it does, even without the curves.

I held off on MFC... just because he said that the older consoles would be getting upgrades with the new sampling methods, and I'm curious what it does to them. That special magic the MFxx series has.. if it comes to the VBC and CLC then I don't think I need to the MFC.. hence me waiting patiently :). But if it turns out that the special sauce is really in the 88RS console, I'll insta buy the package, trust me :P.

Just wanted to be clear that I love Alex's work, and I'm constantly eyeballing the MFxx series because it seems to be something special. And the audio demo's and posts like RJ Hollins only feed it :).. don't let me being skeptical of Nebula compressors paint a picture I don't appreciate Alex's work.
jorismak
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby garrick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:00 am

I just tried the demo and wow, brilliant work, adds weight maybe even a smattering of authority.
I'm not sure what to get first.

Hmm what would rj Hollins do?
garrick
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Melon_Jack » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:46 am

With Tim's and AlexB new compressors it's a new era in Nebula Comps *____*
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:13 am

garrick wrote:I just tried the demo and wow, brilliant work, adds weight maybe even a smattering of authority.
I'm not sure what to get first.

Hmm what would rj Hollins do?

:lol:
Hi garrick ...

Such a personal choice ... I can only relay my impressions. ;)

Often times I consider the actual unit sampled, and consider what the cost to buy said unit ... then see the Nebula price :shock:

Other factors ... I've purchase many libraries that at first I check out and say OK ... the 'trick' is picking the right piece for the current job. Sure they all would work ... but when you get the right combination ... majic 8-)

We have so many great tools available. I find this entire MF series to be quite special to my ears. [i suspect it was called 'M ... F' for a reason ;) ] anyway :lol:

Much of my work comes in as acoustic instruments from rock to jazz ... and most times I don't hear any 'extra special' high end gear used to record ... usually straight to digital. I call on Nebula libraries to put some sonic vibe in ... but I prefer discrete. If I working a classical or jazz piece, I don't need heavy coloring like I may choose for a rock track. This also explains why I've purchased so many libraries :roll:

There is a certain style of music that consoles may not be needed for ... but for most everything else the console choice is my base. EQ's can be all over the map ... and that is why I try to study each of them. The dynamics control is the new area of Nebula. I've usually called on algo designs feeding a Nebula for tone and dimension.

The comments I read as to whether a compressor can crush or not being used as the yardstick. For tracking certain things ... yes ... but as a total treatment ... hmmm, lets just say I can politely turn down many of those jobs. I don't hesitate to crank a track down and slam ... when mixed by an engineer that knows his stuff, it is then worth it. ... aahhh but this gets off into a whole different topic and one I evaluate individually if I can deliver the intent of the project.

It is very easy to go wild buying Nebula libraries :o I've done it several times. So many of them are from equipment that I've used throughout my career. There are still many more pieces I wait on.

AlexB mentioning that previous libraries may get reworked is very tantalizing ... as is the current Nebula development that is going on.

Things I keep in mind.

Support for our 3rd party developers. This is really a small community of audio Nutz :lol: Without the dedicated efforts of the Devs we have nothing but a 'sample player' that makes no sound. Every purchase is critical to our Devs. The more purchases, the more likely the cost of a library to each of us will stay affordable. It may sound a skewed perspective ... but I tent to view my purchase NOT for a particular library ... but as an investment to the 3rd party Devs to continue to the next release. There is no way I'm buying a N**e 88 for my room ... where would I put the S*L, A*I, Sphere, the other NEVEs [eqs ... tapes ...etc]... all that would mess with my monitoring soundstage :ugeek:
:lol:
This is what may happen when you have the passion.
8-)

OH ... the MFD !!

Just read through the user manual on it ... now that I read AlexB's description of it ... I go, yeah ... that is exactly what I hear ! :D

Even not calling on it to compress ... I really like what it does ... and, it can do compression.

I don't know yet if I can forget 'algo' compressor for eveything I work ... don't know till I do ?!?
I also don't know if this is just a N**e thing for me. I have a liking for what Mr N**e has done :mrgreen: This entire series brings a subtle beauty to eveything I've put through it ... and when you BYPASS it you go :shock: :| put it back on brings a :mrgreen: And if I need to 'dirty it up' ... I've plenty of additional LIBS that can play too :lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries