Login

Mastering engineers!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Mastering engineers!

Postby mightymosaic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 am

Hello to all the wise men who are versed in the dark arts of mastering lol Im looking to wrap my head around mastering a little better (especially using nebula) and was hoping for some insight. Im willing to pay for some one on one skype sessions.

Thanks
mightymosaic

Re: Mastering engineers!

Postby flaviusr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:25 am

I Just finished a course with the great Jonathan Wyner based in Ozone 5. I still crawling on Nebula, but it seems very promising. I'm very excited with Nebula world, and the users community are very generous.
If you have any specif question that I could try to help.
Anyway...good luck with you esoteric studies!
F
Dual boot /LGA 2011 /i7 3820 /32 GB /GA-X79S-UP5 / osX 10.9.5 - Win 10
Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz / 8 Gb / osX 10.9.5
Prism Sound Lyra 2 - RME-Fireface UCX - Octamic XTC
Pro Tools 12.5 Cubase 8.5 Reaper 5.25 Wavelab 9 Ozone 7 Nebula Server Ultimate
flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:28 pm

@ flaviusr: Where did you find that mastering course? I just googled him and found this web page, http://www.m-works.com/noann/default.aspx - but I can't find any info about mastering courses?

Can you please point me in the right direction? :)

@ mastering with Nebula: I remember a thread here some years ago with sound clips where the OP stated that he meant that the "Nebula sound" could be destroyed if one mastered a mix without using Nebula in the mastering process. I don't know if this is a fact, but it would be interesting to hear others experience.

I also read a thread some time ago when 3rd party developers put out several Nebula tape emulations - and then I think richie43 commented that the sound he received from his mastering engineer sounded fantastic, and then he confirmed that he already had used this new tape emulation. At least that is how I remember it...! Perhaps richie43 can bring in some experience here?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby flaviusr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Jonathan course is at Berklee online, very good by the way.
I don't think a Nebula mix could be destroyed by a regular ITB mastering. Actually ITB limiters and deessers could be, in many ways, better then analog hardware. As I mentioned I still crawling in Nebula world, but I'm already armed with many good libraries :) just waiting to get in action!

All the best,

F
flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby david1103 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I worked as a mastering engineer for 10 years and did a lot of records.

Do you have experience in mastering? If not Nebula won't help you. Here are some ideas:

Pay an engineer to just sit and watch him mastering for a week. Pay him even more to let you ask as many questions as you want.

Limit tools. One EQ, one compressor and maybe a special effect like a tape emulation.

Of course, the better quality the better, but it's not so important to start with. You want a Nebula EQ for sure! They have the most depth. For compression, maybe use the free TDR Feedback Compressor II (complex but maybe the best software compressor there is), Nebula is not there yet for mastering compression.

Special effect? A Nebula tape, but you probably don't need it! 95% of mastering is EQ and compression.

If you are going to use Nebula for mastering then you have to learn all about the strange world of Nebula and how it is different to other plug-ins. I spent 8 months creating Nebula Explained Professional for this, so I suggest you take my course (see link in my signature) :D

I might do a course on mastering, but there are so many of them. I have checked out a few, and they all have a few floors. Maybe the best is:

http://www.tischmeyer-mastering.de/pwde ... =1&lang=EN

There is a LOT of rubbish on the net that exists to sell you things you don't need!!! All you really need is experience and a good room/speakers so you can hear what you are doing... and of course good taste, or whatever you do will suck LOL... but i am sure you are cool ;)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby flaviusr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 am

flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mightymosaic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:58 am

Thanks for the replys fellas!

I picked up the Trilogy DVD set David and so far its pretty informative thanks for the recommendation.
mightymosaic

Return to 3rd party libraries