Login

Tape's using compression template?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Tape's using compression template?

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi everyone ,

I'm interested to see if anyone will try to sample a tape/reel to reel using a compression template like cupwise has done for his fm4 and rythim in minds dolby preset?

Could turn out well....
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: Tape's using compression template?

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 am

I was working on this with tubes. I posted in the off-topic section a while ago. But I've been diverted by work :( so totally behind on it.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:08 am

Sounds cool!!

Do it :D

If I could get some decent convertors which i'm looking into right now and learn the sampling side of nebula I will do it . I'm around quite a few tape machine's right now . Very nice machines! Shame i'm not doing the sampling thing quite yet!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 am

I spent a ton of time testing this with tube and tape outboard and didn't find it possible to capture compression response. Neb compression is really designed to capture deep threshold and ratio and measure the attack/release on an envelope, and is too different from the immediate drive compression and limiting characteristic. It is an interesting thing to experiment with, but won't return the actual compression drive characteristic. But, for saturation it nails it perfectly! :-)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rhythminmind » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

I've heavily tested this as well. The term "Tape compression" is a bit misleading. Tape compression is not compression as we usually think of it.
Nebula compression like others is envelope based. "Tape compression" isn't a byproduct of envelope controlled gain reduction. It's created by transient saturation.
It's a smooth clipping actually, This is a 0 attack time frequency dependent clipping/limiting.
Ever noticed how a distorted guitar is "compressed" after running thru a distortion/overdrive? Tape compression functions in a similar way (just smoother) when driven.

But I will say sampling with compression templates does open-up some fun creative possibilities. Can't go wrong with that.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for the replys,

this is why i'm still bouncing to tape for my compression.Maybe Nebula will do this one day.

So I won't try for now....

Although Transcending music's tube clips do sound very good!!

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 am

About a year ago I was exprimenting with the faster prog rate on nebula in xml and getting closer to what your talking about Eric .But then the sample ends up sounding strange and as G said it brings about aliasing and distortions.Of course this is why Nebula does not do this in it's normal setup ,also why we have the ahead function now?
And yes nebula Is spot on with the Distortion as Michael says.
Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:51 am

Also, check out the VTM-M2 demo.
:)

timp wrote:About a year ago I was exprimenting with the faster prog rate on nebula in xml and getting closer to what your talking about Eric .But then the sample ends up sounding strange and as G said it brings about aliasing and distortions.Of course this is why Nebula does not do this in it's normal setup ,also why we have the ahead function now?
And yes nebula Is spot on with the Distortion as Michael says.
Tim
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Yep, VTM for that. I played around with various software compressors to try to mimic this behavior some with better results than others, all requiring lots of tweaking. With VTM it's just there, you just dial in how much you need.

Michael's three staged solution (R2R + TB + VTM) is really the pinnacle right now of tape emu. It would be nice to have it all in one single instance but I'll take the sound over convenience any day.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Actually I'll qualify my statement: Nebula tape machines + optionally TB+ (not always needed with non-R2R programs) + VTM = the pinnacle right now. I get equally excellent results using Nagra + VTM or 810A + VTM.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries