Login

Tube FM 4

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Tube FM 4

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm

FINALLY,
It's done.

The past few days have been crazy, editing literally hundreds of program files. There IS something else I want to add- 'plus' programs, like I had in Tube FM 1 & 2. These would flatten the frequency response of an effect, so that it could be used just for its compression/distortion, minimizing the tone filtering effect of the original effect. So, they are made by enhancing existing effects, and I'll probably do a handful of those. Question is when. I need a break from this set, so whenever I can get motivated.

Here's a thing- at some point (when I add plus programs, or even sooner), I will probably raise the price of this set a few US dollars. I added in a few new things at the last minute, and those additions resulted in tons of editing that got a bit out of hand, but I think it makes the set that much better. While doing this though, the price in my head went from between 35-40$, to 40-45$. I was going to release it in that range, but instead decided to put it at 39$ for a while (week or two?), then raise it up.

Other thing- I'm also releasing a bundle package for Tube FM 1-4 sets. 15$ is taken off of the total, and there's a bonus set thrown in. I'm starting a separate thread for that, just in case anyone has any specific comments/questions about the bundle itself. Point is this: If you are one of the super cool people who bought Tube FM 1-3 as they came out, and you want Tube FM 4- contact me first. Check out the bundle thread about that. For those people, it would be like you are getting Tube FM 4 and a bonus set for 24$ (currently).

Tube FM4 is pretty rad. I say more stuff about it at the homesite.
http://www.cupwise.com/NebTubeFM4.php
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Tube FM 4

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 pm

i forgot to mention that there are new demo clips up, which i think show off what can realistically be done with this set pretty well. there are synth, vocal, bass synth, drum, e guitar, and acoustic guitar clips.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:08 am

Dude - just listened to the demos. Excellent stuff. Stupendously good. Sent in my request. I have all your other stuff.

Love the distortion and growl in the demos. Well done!!!!!! :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 am

Cool fx machine. An amazing unique addition.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:35 am

vicnestE wrote:Cool fx machine. An amazing unique addition.

+1!
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 pm

i should point something out, which has been recently mentioned by the 'tapes using compression template' thread here. no- nebula cannot accurately recreate the overdrive style compression of these radios. in the real world it's instant. yes this kind of bugged me while i was doing the programs, but it never stopped me from working on them/making them, because it wasn't really the point of what i'm doing.

a lot of people have known about that limitation of nebula, and it being why tape compression can't be captured, so i never thought to mention it. but maybe not everybody does know, so i should have. even worse, my manual was kind of misleading. it wasn't intentional at all, but it does kind of look bad. i said that if you put the attk/release dials at the '1' position you get the 100% authentic sampled envelopes. well, that's true in the sense that in the other positions, you get 'fake' envelopes. the problem is that nebula can't recreate the 'authentic' ones. then i said that in those positions they 'work as they are supposed to'. well i just meant that for some of the programs, the 'fake' envelopes work kind of buggy. but, if you put those two statements together it looks like i'm saying that the compression is accurate.

it's not.

it didn't matter to me SO much, not enough to nix the project, because i still think these things are useful. sure, 100% realistic overdrive with no overshoots would be great, but it's not possible as many of us have known. i just got caught up in making this huge set and adding more things to it, and lost sight of some of those details about presentation- i kind of released it on impulse because i thought i should cut myself off from doing more, so the manual was finished right before i put it up.

to summarize- these are more of a 'based off of' thing than completely accurate. i did clearly mention this with the 'detuned' effects, but it's the case with the overdrive ones too.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby niknox » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi there,
Loving this program , just scratching the surface , but it seems there's nothing else quite like it...
many thanks for the hard work etc!
The one thing I keep wishing for while listening through the presets would be the addition of a wet /dry fader/knob ...
Would that be an easy thing to implement ..?
Forgive me if its been asked before, Im reasonably new to the whole Nebula thing....
Cheers
Morgan
niknox
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 am

good idea, but probably most if not all of the effects would not work well with that idea, because of phase differences between the processed and dry versions. mixing the two would result in strange phasey sounds, dips in the frequency spectrum etc. some might work 'ok'- i know the bell tuner did produce phase compatible results at least once that i noticed (which surprised me).

nebula does allow you to bring some dry signal into the effect: click 'edit' then go to 'glob' then for a parameter called something like 'drysrc' you turn it to 'on' and then there's another parameter for dry amount you can then increase. so you can check it out for yourself to see if you find any that work ok with dry signal mixed in.

i MIGHT look into adding a dry knob on some/any effects that it would work well with (if any), but this would be a big task, and making the multiple (alt, internal side-chain, external side-chain) versions i have in the set was already a HUGE task. if i look into a 'dry' knob, it won't be right away. re-editing/testing everything is not a fun thought (there are what, over 300 programs files in the set?).

BUT one thing i will do, in the near-ish future, is add + versions of some effects. this should provide most of what you are wanting- cleaner, fuller frequency spectrum for the output (less to no filtering). then as always you can mix in however much distortion you want.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 am

niknox, i have to say the dry knob was a good idea! i tried it, and liked it. i was right about phasing, most or many effects you do notice it, but some you don't. i decided to add it for all effects though, because even in the ones where you notice it, it can be useful for altering the tone, and it still sounds smooth/analog.

so i'll add that to all of the stuff in tube fm4.

also, i'm adding it to tube fm1 and 2! those sets will be updated first, with HUGE updates there. then i'll release an update for tube fm4 with the dry, and hopefully plus programs (they might not work out...).

thanks for the idea, niknox! ;)

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm using this bundle more and more. It's so great for adding real character, works on everything. I love it on di bass guitars, you get distortion and compression the same time. Just play a little with the threshold for the right amount and there you go. Great work Tim!
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries