Login

Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Postby dagovitsj » Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 pm

@ kels: thanks for doing this test!

I just can't believe how close you got!!! Thank you for taking the time to do this, really an eye-opener!

Or...the other way around! Listening "blindly" between 'VBC like TEST_NEBULA' and 'VBC like TEST_VBC' my ears like the Nebula-version best.

Interestingly, if you listen to the snare in those two sound clips the Nebula version gives a more firm snare sound (which I really like) while the snare in the Slate-version kind of "splashes" more (sorry, english is not my first language..!). The low ringing noise in the drum set is also more prominent in the Slate version, which I think is not preferable. However I think the kick sound in both examples are quite similar.

@ kels: In the pdf I can see that you have placed the LA-preamp after the slick compr and TNT limiter. Why? Do you get another tone? I don't have the TNT or LA-preamp (yet!) so I can't test it myself.

Edit: aha, got it, saw this text over at CDSoundmaster:
"Use this collection after your favorite software LA-2A compressor/limiter to get the complete sound of the real hardware. This fulfills the complex, rich audio texture of the real hardware with its natural frequency range and harmonic distortion over multiple dynamic volume layers. "

It also says [MASTER TRACK 3/4], it there a fourth instance in your Nebula chain (there are only three showing in the pdf)?

Thanks again for showing how to get this great drum sound!

Cheers ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby myimo » Sat May 17, 2014 3:29 am

"The low ringing noise in the drum set is also more prominent in the Slate version, which I think is not preferable."
The slate sounds like rubbish in comparison. Nebula wins again.
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby kels » Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 am

Wow! Thank you so much, I have A/B'ed that loop and you really made a fantastic job!!!

Couple of questions, I can see that in the Slick9K Hard preset you cranked up the input, why was this?

You're welcome :) It's always nice to help especialy in this case where a direct comparison between softwares is the subject.

As for the input, remember, it's a sound matching test. I think it's closer using Nebula that way. Generaly speaking, I use my hardware as hot as I can, so speaking about software, I'm really not afraid doing the same thing ... you know, if it's sound right ... blablabla

For your Nebula chain in pop acoustics, it's really hard to reccommend anything since EVERY project starts differently and I do not want to favor a developper for another. Please experiment, after all, it's all fun, no ? ;)
However, I would definitly start and include the 660 from Cupwise and a nice EQ like the Summit EQP200A (for hyper acoustic color) or the SONTEC MEP250 or the GEQ somewhere( by CDSoundmaster). If that doesn't work, I would not be afraid to change everything and go for something radically different.

wish you best of luck !
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby kels » Sat May 17, 2014 9:07 am

Or...the other way around! Listening "blindly" between 'VBC like TEST_NEBULA' and 'VBC like TEST_VBC' my ears like the Nebula-version best.

Please note that I reduced the number of kernels in Nebula to sound as close as possible to FG-GREY. So, Nebula can sound terribly better than that ...

@ kels: In the pdf I can see that you have placed the LA-preamp after the slick compr and TNT limiter. Why? Do you get another tone? I don't have the TNT or LA-preamp (yet!) so I can't test it myself.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about presets I use. Here they are :

- Cupwise SSL9k
- TNT from Tim Petherick
- LAPreA GainStage from STN

It also says [MASTER TRACK 3/4], it there a fourth instance in your Nebula chain (there are only three showing in the pdf)?

Yes, It's nice you notice this as I forgot to mention. There was simply the JS_LimiterST (included in Reaper). Barely working (maybe 0,5dB on 1 peak only), but as I mentionned above, FG-grey rely on several processes and, listening to how it sounds, it definitly includes a limiter.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby kels » Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 am

"The low ringing noise in the drum set is also more prominent in the Slate version, which I think is not preferable."
The slate sounds like rubbish in comparison. Nebula wins again.

Yeah !
As a side note, did someone note how, in the video, the other compressors do sound different. I'm talking here about the frame (or the color) of the sound not the attack, release, sense of fullness, impact ... and how the Nebula version sounds identical (ok, I don't have the original recording of the drum which explain the last 2% of accuracy of this test)

I'm pretty sure they modeled the FG-grey after those Nebula presets. Maybe someone can test and use other Nebula chain to see if it is even closer.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Mon May 19, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks kels!

Please note that I reduced the number of kernels in Nebula to sound as close as possible to FG-GREY. So, Nebula can sound terribly better than that ...

That's cool!

Sorry, I wasn't clear about presets I use. Here they are :

- Cupwise SSL9k
- TNT from Tim Petherick
- LAPreA GainStage from STN

Just to check, have you tweaked the Nebula.dll as Tim has suggested (regarding TNT) to get this great sound?

Yes, It's nice you notice this as I forgot to mention. There was simply the JS_LimiterST (included in Reaper). Barely working (maybe 0,5dB on 1 peak only), but as I mentionned above, FG-grey rely on several processes and, listening to how it sounds, it definitly includes a limiter.

- Right, thanks! AFAIK the TNT Lim AVG you have used is a limiter, and a very fast one that are supposed to catch all the transients. (Maybe I'm wrong here?) Do you really need an extra limiter, or? Just trying to understand, not to start a dispute ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kels » Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Just to check, have you tweaked the Nebula.dll as Tim has suggested (regarding TNT) to get this great sound?

I did tweak it, but in this case, I use the regular Nebula Reverb.

- Right, thanks! AFAIK the TNT Lim AVG you have used is a limiter, and a very fast one that are supposed to catch all the transients. (Maybe I'm wrong here?) Do you really need an extra limiter, or? Just trying to understand, not to start a dispute ;)

No dispute here, ya :)
TNT is a limiter but, the program I use here is the AVG program which, to my ears, does not catch all the transients.

Putting a really boring algo limiter after everything let me to lift the level a tiny bit and have a sample accurate limiting. If you check the VBC file (hear+meter), I think you'll know what I mean.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries