Login

Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Nebula equivalent to Slate VBC Chain

Postby richie43 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 pm

mtalavera wrote:Two weeks ago I bought CDSoundMaster's VTMC-M2 Vintage Tube Mastering Compressor. Wow, now that has color and tone for miles. Once I take the time to really play with it, I'm sure I'll dump the VBC rack completely.

I am loving the VTMC-M2. Really nice and super useful for so many sources.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 pm

yeah Im waiting to try that new CDS compressor as Im on Mac...

I recently decided only to use Nebula compressors from cupwise or Tim P - or hardware for compression...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dejhantulip » Thu May 15, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

I have been thinking about this chain:

SSLTone Glue from STN
N**e 1073 Pre PRO from Henry Holonga (GDrive @ +19dB)
Creamy 660 Pass-through "C" from Cupwise

I am thinking of including the N**e 1073 tone as per a suggestion in the thread!

Also I ditched the RED3, and switched the Fairchild 670 + Vari-Mu from Henry Olonga's for the Creamy 660 Pass-Through type "C" since I had really a hard time noticing the colour that the Henry's presets added (they were really subtle).

Any comments?
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Postby kels » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 am

With this list, you will not be able to have those "hyped mids" (as SWAN said). It can be desirable or not (it's up to you, of course).

See, the NEVE1073 will counteract the relative loss of LFs of the SSL4000 comp which is perfect. btw, Chris Lord Alge put a Pultec after his console for that purpose. Some others will put Telefunken V74 or V76.

Then, you normaly need something acting like a exciter which is the role of the RED3 (very nice saturation).

Then, the 670 Fairchild will focus (or frame) the sound (thicken low and upper mids as well as high pass/low pass ) and add a lot of harmonics.

And then, the vari-mu add a "little" extra coloration in the highmids/hf area.

You definitely won't get the same color with the list above. You'll get something fat and creamy which is the exact opposite to the VBC effect.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dejhantulip » Thu May 15, 2014 1:50 pm

kels wrote:With this list, you will not be able to have those "hyped mids" (as SWAN said). It can be desirable or not (it's up to you, of course).

See, the NEVE1073 will counteract the relative loss of LFs of the SSL4000 comp which is perfect. btw, Chris Lord Alge put a Pultec after his console for that purpose. Some others will put Telefunken V74 or V76.

Then, you normaly need something acting like a exciter which is the role of the RED3 (very nice saturation).

Then, the 670 Fairchild will focus (or frame) the sound (thicken low and upper mids as well as high pass/low pass ) and add a lot of harmonics.

And then, the vari-mu add a "little" extra coloration in the highmids/hf area.

You definitely won't get the same color with the list above. You'll get something fat and creamy which is the exact opposite to the VBC effect.

Amazing explanation! Thanks! I can see with your explanation what arr the roles that each of them play!

Could you be so kind then to provide me which nebula presets would *you* recommend me to use in order to get what i am trying to achieve?
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

Postby fr3udes » Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Omg, googling for Cupwise's Fairchild programs i stumbled upon this thread on the Womb :o

How could people be so stupid, aggressive and patronizing ??! Kudos to you Cupwise for having kept your calm and kindness. Wow.
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby SWAN » Thu May 15, 2014 5:55 pm

oh dear...

that John Eppstein has been kicking up a stink on another thread in Gearslutz recently also...

With regard to naming - I think Creamy 660 is cool 8-)

Some people are idiots. :D
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby fr3udes » Thu May 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Gosh, his profile on GS screams 'i'm an arrogant joke'. This is what we call "pêter plus haut que son cul"
fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Postby kels » Fri May 16, 2014 9:13 am

Amazing explanation! Thanks! I can see with your explanation what arr the roles that each of them play!

Could you be so kind then to provide me which nebula presets would *you* recommend me to use in order to get what i am trying to achieve?

A little experimentation here is necessary. You know, all those VBC "modeled after" do not rely only on one device but include many of them. The litterature on StevenSlate website is not 100% clear about this but, at least, he specify that a transformer is there after the S*L. Take this little test for ex :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsms_oDZLk

It is obvious that some limiting is also going on there. Do not expect a real SSL4000E compressor hardware version to sound like that (and trust me on that ;) ).

So let's try to match that first device. To lead you in the right direction, here is a little test (sound matching) to show you how close Nebula can be (which lead to more questions about those guys copying Nebula's sound - there are some treads about that on Gearslutz...)

Interestingly, you will see that I have reduced the number of kernels in Nebula to make it sound "worse" or at least not to it's full potential. It is necessary to try to match the VBC sound. the VBC sound is still a little darker which indicate the lack of harmonics ...

http://shares.imbiginjapan.be/s#21b9ae7 ... TCHING.rar

(link valid 10 days)

Omg, googling for Cupwise's Fairchild programs i stumbled upon this thread on the Womb :o

How could people be so stupid, aggressive and patronizing ??! Kudos to you Cupwise for having kept your calm and kindness. Wow.

aaaah the Womb !

big heads, big shots there.

overdimensionned egos ...
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dejhantulip » Fri May 16, 2014 1:57 pm

kels wrote:

A little experimentation here is necessary. You know, all those VBC "modeled after" do not rely only on one device but include many of them. The litterature on StevenSlate website is not 100% clear about this but, at least, he specify that a transformer is there after the S*L. Take this little test for ex :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsms_oDZLk

It is obvious that some limiting is also going on there. Do not expect a real SSL4000E compressor hardware version to sound like that (and trust me on that ;) ).

So let's try to match that first device. To lead you in the right direction, here is a little test (sound matching) to show you how close Nebula can be (which lead to more questions about those guys copying Nebula's sound - there are some treads about that on Gearslutz...)

Interestingly, you will see that I have reduced the number of kernels in Nebula to make it sound "worse" or at least not to it's full potential. It is necessary to try to match the VBC sound. the VBC sound is still a little darker which indicate the lack of harmonics ...

http://shares.imbiginjapan.be/s#21b9ae7 ... TCHING.rar

(link valid 10 days)

aaaah the Womb !

big heads, big shots there.

overdimensionned egos ...

Wow! Thank you so much, I have A/B'ed that loop and you really made a fantastic job!!!

Couple of questions, I can see that in the Slick9K Hard preset you cranked up the input, why was this?

I just can't believe how close you got!!! Thank you for taking the time to do this, really an eye-opener!

Since I can see you have the knowledge regarding this subject, I would like to kindly ask you if you could help me out with the following (since all of this started because my friends were bragging about VBC on their recent productions): What would be your recommendation for an alternative nebula chain that I could propose to them to use instead of slate's vbc? I know the type of music will really affect your recommendation, so the type of music they are working on is acoustic pop ballads (no electric guitars, just acoustic guitars, vocals, basic drums, bass, violins, chelos, and some other light percussion).

Once again, I appreciate all you have done! =)

Cheers!!!

ORLANDO
dejhantulip
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries